Hendrix Clutch Assembly - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Hendrix Clutch Assembly in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Ok, got my Jeep fixed!! The fuel pressure regulator was bad...now it's running like a champ and I'm ready to ...
    lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Re: Hendrix Clutch Assembly

Ok, got my Jeep fixed!! The fuel pressure regulator was bad...now it's running like a champ and I'm ready to tackle the clutch!

Should get the ARP bolts monday, along with the alignment tool, and fw tool.

Thinking of tacking a day off work this week for the install....if not, DEFINITELY this weekend!!

Ok got some questions.......

Not sure if measuring this way is even correct, but I have the stack height of the LS7 setup, and the Hendrix setup. (thank you Nmaier for the pics)

These pics are of the flywheel, clutch disc, and pressure plate with the tape measure on the ground, up to the clutch teeth.

LS7 (4")......

Hendrix Setup (3 1/2")

Does this mean I'm going to need a 1/2" spacer behind my LS7 slave???

Also, the dowels in the flywheel don't match up with the pressure plate, so you have to punch out the dowel pins. No biggie, just a heads up!

I think the difference is coming from the LS7 flywheel has raised sections for the pressure plate mounting screws....where the Hendrix fw does not. Cuz the flywheels are both 1" tall (not including the raised sections)

nmaier2201 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    Actually, I don't know of any evidence that an LS7 clutch is either equal to, or better than, the stock CTS-V clutch.

Many have always assumed this because the LS7 motor has a higher horsepower rating, but for all I know the GM engineers that designed/specified the CTS-V clutch knew it was going into a 4,000 pound sedan and not a 3,000 pound Corvette and made it stronger than the LS7 unit.

There are, of course, instances where the engineering specifications are overidden by the financial/marketing types (e.g. the 1.25 inch half shafts in 2004/05) - but I haven't encountered any evidence that such is the case with the clutch.

I have to agree with darkman on this one... I went with the LS7 because I needed to replace my stock slave at a minimum... and the V parts were ultra expensive compared to the LS7... with the LS7 I got a lighter flywheel and it isn't dual mass like the V stocker... those were my deciding factors... but I don't have anything in writing stating it's a superior unit in terms of claming power than my stocker....

I would be interested to find out... how can I do that? If Darkman doesn't know that doesn't give me much hope.

nmaier2201 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Hmm now that the clutch is in the car I can only go back to the pics and dimensions I already mailed ya...

I could post up ALL the pics I sent you of the flywheel so people can weigh in.... would that help?

54inches is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 V

You like Shiner? I didn't know that shipped it up North. Great thread, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by nmaier2201 View Post
    Hmm now that the clutch is in the car I can only go back to the pics and dimensions I already mailed ya...

I could post up ALL the pics I sent you of the flywheel so people can weigh in.... would that help?
    That might help, I don't know.

All the other diameters and stuff are the same except for the stack height. Pretty sure those rasied up sections are the culprit for making the 1/2" difference. I want to tear into this and get it in the car asap. Does anybody know if I'll be ok with these dimensions, or if I'll need a spacer?!?!?

ctsv154 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device

The differance could come from the raised portion of the flywheel but if you look on the LS7 PP you'll see the friction surface actually hangs out of the pressure plate were the HE one wont. Also, make sure when you measure that you are measuring from the surface of the flywheel that actually touches the crank. Some flywheels have the the mating surface slightly recessed from the rest of the flywheel which can jack you up. The best way to do measure is to bolt it all together and measure.

Also, what flywheel are you botling the HE PP too? Did he send a flywheel too and they dont line up or are you bolting the PP to the LS7 flywheel or what? If he sent you a PP for a regular LS1/LS6 flywheel and you have an LS2/LS7 flywheel, it wont work becaus the fuction surface is recessed on the LS2/7 flywheel and its not on the LS1/6

Quote Originally Posted by ctsv154 View Post
    Also, what flywheel are you botling the HE PP too? Did he send a flywheel too and they dont line up or are you bolting the PP to the LS7 flywheel or what? If he sent you a PP for a regular LS1/LS6 flywheel and you have an LS2/LS7 flywheel, it wont work becaus the fuction surface is recessed on the LS2/7 flywheel and its not on the LS1/6
    I'm saying the dowel pins on the fw don't match up with the PP (actually there are no holes in the PP for the pins).

Thomas said the whole setup is just like the LS7 setup. He sent the fw, pp, and clutch. The fw does have a recessed portion where it bolts to the block, but the friction surfaces line up just fine. Check out the pics in my first post.

I'm trying to avoid getting it all taken apart and then not being able to use what I have.

SoJersey05V is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

you had the ls7 setup b4 this lolly? if so why are you switching?

Quote Originally Posted by SoJersey05V View Post
    you had the ls7 setup b4 this lolly? if so why are you switching?
    No, I have the stock LS6 clutch now (which is failing miserably)

The pics of the LS7 setup are from Nmaier (thanks again to him)

so the HE pp was made to bolt to the LS7 flywheel? I'm confused. What flywheel are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by ctsv154 View Post
    so the HE pp was made to bolt to the LS7 flywheel? I'm confused. What flywheel are you using?
    He sent a fw. 15 lb Fidanza. It's supposed to be the same as a LS7 type. How close that is to a LS6 type (non-dual mass) I don't know.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    I'm trying to avoid getting it all taken apart and then not being able to use what I have.
    Wise move. I know your current project is somewhat exploratory but when I buy my next clutch I am going to look for a complete coordinated "kit" that bolts in. These mix and match exercises are too tedious.

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    Wise move. I know your current project is somewhat exploratory but when I buy my next clutch I am going to look for a complete coordinated "kit" that bolts in. These mix and match exercises are too tedious.
    Well it should bolt in, but I am being the guinea pig for this whole project to make sure it's all smooth for the rest of yaz. Hence, the extremely good price of free for everything except the fw.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.