CTS V rear end options
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, CTS V rear end options in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Ok so basically im putting an ls1 into my CTS and yea have the funding to change everything i need. ...
    Cad4life is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): White '04 CTS 3.6L,Two JL 12w7 + Bose/ Boston Tweets

CTS V rear end options

Ok so basically im putting an ls1 into my CTS and yea have the funding to change everything i need. While looking on the corvette forum, many CTS-V owners state that the rear end of your guys cars are pos and cant handle the power to make it a drag car. Is this true??

Many on the forum stated no other availible rears for the V except one that is $9000.....any information would b greatly appreciated

plans for ls1
    AFR heads
    Fast intake manifold
    Fast throttle body
    mild cam less than an ms3...for now lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

nmaier2201 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Re: CTS V rear end options

thinking out of the box here, why not sell your CTS and buy a V. Then you can put heads/intake/cam on it... and pry save yourself money and time.

yea i have so much done cosmetically done to my car and money into it, im at the point where i cant. My friend has an ls1 and 6speed he would sell to me, so i figure eh why not lol

jweymar is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Eforce LS3 V

liqidvenom is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): cts-v

once you drop in the ls1 not much different is left from a v. both have a glass like wheel hopish rear end....

I would see if you could manage to get the v2 rear end bolted up to your car. or maybe something out of a ford cobra. but since the rear diff is basically the same maybe get some solid internals and have a steel case made for it. then get some anti hop axles and see whats what.

just thinking out of the box

jweymar is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Eforce LS3 V

Quote Originally Posted by liqidvenom View Post
    once you drop in the ls1 not much different is left from a v. both have a glass like wheel hopish rear end....

I would see if you could manage to get the v2 rear end bolted up to your car. or maybe something out of a ford cobra. but since the rear diff is basically the same maybe get some solid internals and have a steel case made for it. then get some anti hop axles and see whats what.

just thinking out of the box
    What about the suspension, braking system, and different body parts on side front and back.

Quote Originally Posted by jweymar View Post
    What about the suspension, braking system, and different body parts on side front and back.
    Suspension wise I was just gonna buy some coilovers, i already have eibach sways, which i might have to sell, braking sys for me, i have decided that part would be nice to grab some z06 brakes : )

i do have friends that can fab up a steel case im sure, should i assume the V rear would not be a viable option?

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by nmaier2201 View Post
    thinking out of the box here, why not sell your CTS and buy a V. Then you can put heads/intake/cam on it... and pry save yourself money and time.
    I came to the same conclusion. This sounds like a laborous exercise with the best possible outcome being an inferior version of a V.

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    I came to the same conclusion. This sounds like a laborous exercise with the best possible outcome being an inferior version of a V.
    hahaha inferior version of a V, u really are dark arnt ya

I mean if I want i can go buy an ls7 so what will that make it?
    Yes i know theres a lot of labor, the best posibble outcome is a twin turbo stroked 427, just like a lingenfelter vette, not an inferior version because it will b better in every way so ill correct your typo as superior...

Thanks for the help liqidvenom
    anyone else have useful help on a REAR end that i can use, will be greatly appreciated

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

Why not add a turbo and maybe NOX to what you have?

Then you could run an 06 diff and upgraded axels.

Your HP wouldn't be to far off and maybe even better.

Quote Originally Posted by jweymar View Post
    if he is building a car then he can get better suspension and great brakes....

body parts? really? the v and the non v look nearly identical. i'm sure he can find some badges online somewhere
    I came to the same conclusion. This sounds like a laborous exercise with the best possible outcome being an inferior version of a V2.
    if you add a 2 to what you posted then it sounds like something that the v2 guys could say about us modding our car.... and it sounds just as ridiculous

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by liqidvenom View Post
    if you add a 2 to what you posted then it sounds like something that the v2 guys could say about us modding our car.... and it sounds just as ridiculous
    You are right, but there is the matter of degree. It is one thing to mod a V1 to get something that is better considered either a V1+ or a V2-, but it is quite another thing to convert a V1 into a V2 complete with its different interior, trick suspension, etc.

I am just saying that the cost of making a V1 equal to a V2 is likely to cost more than just buying a V2 instead and that the cost of making a V out of CTS is likely to cost more than just buying a V instead.

it would be tru if he was just building a garage queen like many of the guys here have, but he plans to do some drag racing with this car so the v would still need some decent mods to make it into a decent drag car.

but this is the joy of modding things, its never really worth the money

radix is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

You are right, but there is the matter of degree. It is one thing to mod a V1 to get something that is better considered either a V1+ or a V2-, but it is quite another thing to convert a V1 into a V2 complete with its different interior, trick suspension, etc.

I am just saying that the cost of making a V1 equal to a V2 is likely to cost more than just buying a V2 instead and that the cost of making a V out of CTS is likely to cost more than just buying a V instead.

No question you are right - and with this talk of ls1, zo6 brakes and fabricated this and that, etc. the best route is to buy a V1 for parts ($15-17k) and combine the stuff he has with the V1 PT/Driveline/brakes and then do addl. upgrades if desired for racing

Cad4life - how about telling us about your car now so we can understand what you are trying to save by starting with your CTS ?

CTSV_510 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)

To answer your original question, the madman rear is about $7500 and is the only real aftermarket replacement option.

Your best bet would probably be to get some anti-wheelhop axles thrown on (if they fit the standard CTS). It seems that wheelhop is the biggest contributor to diff failures, but the new axles are still being tested as to whether or not stopping wheelhop will prevent the failures.

Good luck with your swap, and you better be posting lots of pics along the way!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.