CTS V rear end options - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, CTS V rear end options in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by heavymetals Why not add a turbo and maybe NOX to what you have? Then you could run ...
    Cad4life is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): White '04 CTS 3.6L,Two JL 12w7 + Bose/ Boston Tweets

Re: CTS V rear end options

Quote Originally Posted by heavymetals View Post
    Why not add a turbo and maybe NOX to what you have?

Then you could run an 06 diff and upgraded axels.

Your HP wouldn't be to far off and maybe even better.

I thought about that, Ive had quotes but look what you can do with the LS engines.

Quote Originally Posted by liqidvenom View Post
    if he is building a car then he can get better suspension and great brakes....

body parts? really? the v and the non v look nearly identical. i'm sure he can find some badges online somewhere

if you add a 2 to what you posted then it sounds like something that the v2 guys could say about us modding our car.... and it sounds just as ridiculous
    lol I would never do badges, just because Id love for people to think im driving the with a V6. and thanks you stated my opinion exactly

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    You are right, but there is the matter of degree. It is one thing to mod a V1 to get something that is better considered either a V1+ or a V2-, but it is quite another thing to convert a V1 into a V2 complete with its different interior, trick suspension, etc.

I am just saying that the cost of making a V1 equal to a V2 is likely to cost more than just buying a V2 instead and that the cost of making a V out of CTS is likely to cost more than just buying a V instead.
    I understand where you coming from really I do, its just in my first post I stated that i have the funding, i have no intention to changing cars.

Quote Originally Posted by radix View Post
    No question you are right - and with this talk of ls1, zo6 brakes and fabricated this and that, etc. the best route is to buy a V1 for parts ($15-17k) and combine the stuff he has with the V1 PT/Driveline/brakes and then do addl. upgrades if desired for racing

Cad4life - how about telling us about your car now so we can understand what you are trying to save by starting with your CTS ?

I have funding lol but not that much, im even wondering, how much power can the v rear handle? ill buy that and the other need parts.....

its the 3.6L all i have suspension wise is a rear eibach sway, drilled and slotted stock brakes and calipers, no engine work of course lol.
    anything else just ask..
    Quote Originally Posted by CTSV_510 View Post
    To answer your original question, the madman rear is about $7500 and is the only real aftermarket replacement option.

Your best bet would probably be to get some anti-wheelhop axles thrown on (if they fit the standard CTS). It seems that wheelhop is the biggest contributor to diff failures, but the new axles are still being tested as to whether or not stopping wheelhop will prevent the failures.

Good luck with your swap, and you better be posting lots of pics along the way!
    DAmn thats a big price, is that my only option? really im using this car for my daily driver, not dragging, on the corvette forum i just heard them say its a pathetic car to drag with cause of the rear, which made me curious if i put the ls1 in mine.

Thanks a lot guys!!!

CTSV_510 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)

To my knowledge, the V rear is the same as the V6 models with the exception of some CTSs that did not come with a limited slip option. You would probably not be gaining anything unless you went to an '06+ diff.

There was a slight upgrade to the casing on '06+ diffs that has seemed to hold up better. Many of us have had them put in under warranty because our old ones started whining pretty badly.

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

This sounds to me like a BIG MONEY PIT, and a bigger, "I"LL SHOW ME" project.

Good luck with your decent into MOD HELL.

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

Quote Originally Posted by Cad4life View Post
    While looking on the corvette forum, many CTS-V owners state that the rear end of your guys cars are pos and cant handle the power to make it a drag car. Is this true??
    Quote Originally Posted by Cad4life View Post
    yea i have so much done cosmetically done to my car and money into it, im at the point where i cant.
    So which is it- are you making a drag car or a boulevard cruiser/show car? If it's the latter, you may be on the right track (but still in for HELL trying to do the conversion).

If you're trying to make a drag car, take the money you were going to use on the powertrain and buy one of the high mileage Vs that are on eBay for around $15k right now, gut it and make a real drag car.
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

liqidvenom is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): cts-v

Quote Originally Posted by The Tony Show View Post
    So which is it- are you making a drag car or a boulevard cruiser/show car? If it's the latter, you may be on the right track (but still in for HELL trying to do the conversion).

If you're trying to make a drag car, take the money you were going to use on the powertrain and buy one of the high mileage Vs that are on eBay for around $15k right now, gut it and make a real drag car.
    but a getted v would still have lots of unimportant stuff which a v has that you would pay for. navi, fogs, baller chrome grills, suspension, tons of rubber in every possible place for the driveline.

the only was i would see him usign a v and making out better that route would be if he buys an insuranced out v for 5k or so, then guts it and turns our floppy drivetrain into something solid with urethane everywhere.

I would wait like 2yrs and buy a high milage insuranced-out v. gut the car, ditch the motor and put something silly in there....it would be around a 7k project and prob a 10sec car, with a stock ( new) diff and aftermarket axles.

i think if you can get the car down to the low 3000 range the diff should hold up very well at a strip.

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

I didn't mean "gut" in the literal sense- if he wants a cheap car to literally gut and make a drag car out of, he should buy a clapped out old Mustang or F-Body.

If he's looking for a car that can actually be driven on the streets in a normal manner but also drag raced, a high mileage V + some good mods (axles, cam, heads and nitrous) should do the trick.
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

ill agree with you on that one bald stig

Cad4life is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): White '04 CTS 3.6L,Two JL 12w7 + Bose/ Boston Tweets

so far i want it to be my daily driver, but with what i want to do to it, yea it could b a show car. I dont have time to leagally drag race lol. So to my understanding, using the v diff with anti hop gear will not b able to hold the power? I know i should buy a junker V, but im so into mine I dont want to turn back. I can get the engine and trans for like 2k or less accessories all except the wiring harness. In the cts forum one guy stated if you push 320hp to the rear diff it with turn to saw dust. Again i ont want this as a drag car, just the necessary parts to make it handle the ls1 swap.

CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

sounds like you wanna b a v so why build a wanna be v?

time to

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

There was a redesign on the V diff in early '08.
    I haven't had to replace one of those yet. The '06 changes were good but they still had case deformation problems.
    All GM's current stock of the replacement diff is this '08 style unit.

There are some custom units out there but they are really pricey. Not sure if even the '08 style redesign of the V1 diff would hold up long under much drag racing.
    Personally I think of the V as more of a road car than a dragster.

I know I might take a beating over this statement but as important as drag racing has been to the development of the automobile, I think it is kind of the weakest form of racing their is.
    I know it takes skill and power to get good times but the challenge of driving something like a road course, or even an oval track is much more exciting to me.
    Taking a family sedan and seeing how fast you can go 1/4 mile is like flushing money down the toilet.
    Just my personal opinion, please don't take offense.

I have been to the drags and it is fun.... something that makes it worse for me is that show Pinks... watching those guys posturing and bragging really gets old fast.

PS, you'd better change at least the rear hubs. There is a reason the base car has 5 and the V has 6, and there is a reason that '08 and '09 use larger wheel studs.
    If you put an LS engine in a base car and beef up the diff leaving the hubs in place you are going to have an embarassing launch sooner or later, one in which you are likely only going to have 2 tires left on the car.

SS from the "Wood" is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 Platinum V - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by ewill3rd View Post
    There was a redesign on the V diff in early '08.
    I haven't had to replace one of those yet. The '06 changes were good but they still had case deformation problems.
    All GM's current stock of the replacement diff is this '08 style unit.

There are some custom units out there but they are really pricey. Not sure if even the '08 style redesign of the V1 diff would hold up long under much drag racing.
    Personally I think of the V as more of a road car than a dragster.

I know I might take a beating over this statement but as important as drag racing has been to the development of the automobile, I think it is kind of the weakest form of racing their is.
    I know it takes skill and power to get good times but the challenge of driving something like a road course, or even an oval track is much more exciting to me.
    Taking a family sedan and seeing how fast you can go 1/4 mile is like flushing money down the toilet.
    Just my personal opinion, please don't take offense.

I have been to the drags and it is fun.... something that makes it worse for me is that show Pinks... watching those guys posturing and bragging really gets old fast.

PS, you'd better change at least the rear hubs. There is a reason the base car has 5 and the V has 6, and there is a reason that '08 and '09 use larger wheel studs.
    If you put an LS engine in a base car and beef up the diff leaving the hubs in place you are going to have an embarassing launch sooner or later, one in which you are likely only going to have 2 tires left on the car.
    Bill, I love the dry sense of humor, as it's the most comical form of laugh generation for me. I wanted to get your opinion specifically on a couple of concerns I have for my car, and the warranty set to expire next week.

How would you recommend someone get issues addressed to an otherwise unwilling to please service dept? I feel like I keep getting brushed off by my local dealer regarding the diff (I feel like if GM has a solution to part of the prob, and I have brought it in for a whine complaint, it should be replaced), same w/ motor mounts (I got the shakes, and I know they're vulnerable), additionally, I often hear some engine detonation or a pinging sound at high RPMs. Even after relentlessly running Chevron and other treated premium grade fuels (i've always put 93 octane in BTW.) My car has just turned 32K miles, and have plans to take it in tomm... help pleez. Thanks.

-Shannon

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

My dry humor often annoys the crap out of my wife and a lot of my coworkers, but thanks I have no plans for stopping anytime soon.

I can't tell you much in the way of advice for getting a dealer to pay attention to your needs. A lot of places are used to dealing with Grandma and Grandpa and they don't get the V crowd at all. They are afraid of these vehicles and call everything wrong with them "abuse" so they don't have to work on them.
    Inside the dealer you can just sit down and talk to the SM or move your way up the chain to the General Manager.
    If you have gone that route already the only other thing you can do is find another dealer. Often that can be hard if you are in a rural area or with the "new GM" cutting back on stores they might be fewer and farther between. You can ask around on the forum here about V friendly dealers in your area and maybe make some phone calls.
    You can always ship your car here and we can look at it for you
    That probably won't save you much money though

Some others have been in your predicament. Try starting a new thread and asking for input and advice from other members and maybe you'll hear from someone in your area that can refer you to a good dealer.

this might be a good solution for u...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ement-8-a.html

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.