Toe Rodz... I gots questions...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Toe Rodz... I gots questions... in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hi Guys, When having the Kdubs installed, the V's rear toes rods were frozen and I can't get a proper ...
    ahahnu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 LS6 Stealth Grey

Toe Rodz... I gots questions...

Hi Guys,

When having the Kdubs installed, the V's rear toes rods were frozen and I can't get a proper alignment. It's only off a little, so I don't need the things tomorrow, but want to order real soon. I have a couple questions for those out there.

BMR has them obvi, but from what I hear they can be real hard to adjust. Mr. H. Metals, you have them and seem to swear by them, why are they so hard to adjust? Also I'm leaning on getting the trailing arms at the same time....

2003CR51 (?) Are you still making sets? What's your deal?

Thanks- Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CTS-Voodoo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Raven V

Re: Toe Rodz... I gots questions...

Quote Originally Posted by ahahnu View Post
    Hi Guys,

When having the Kdubs installed, the V's rear toes rods were frozen and I can't get a proper alignment. It's only off a little, so I don't need the things tomorrow, but want to order real soon. I have a couple questions for those out there.

BMR has them obvi, but from what I hear they can be real hard to adjust. Mr. H. Metals, you have them and seem to swear by them, why are they so hard to adjust? Also I'm leaning on getting the trailing arms at the same time....

2003CR51 (?) Are you still making sets? What's your deal?

Thanks- Mike
    Theres a guy with an blown 05 here in town, he had the BMRs on his car, took em back off 2 days later. The heim joints they use for their parts are lower quality and are metal on metal contact, so they make clicking noises when you hit bumps.

Try to find a builder (hint 2003cr51) that uses some quality parts and doesnt have this issue. My toe rods and trailing arms have no issues whatsoever and my entire rear suspension is teflon impregnated heims. Who needs rubber/polyurethane anyway?

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

The clicking noise is probably from a faulty install.

I had to shim them before I could torque them (frame mount side) and the inside adjustment is a PITA to get at (my alignment guy was not happy bout that).

They (BMR) are a heck of a lot beefier then stock.

I like em.

Quote Originally Posted by heavymetals View Post
    The clicking noise is probably from a faulty install.

I had to shim them before I could torque them (frame mount side) and the inside adjustment is a PITA to get at (my alignment guy was not happy bout that).

They (BMR) are a heck of a lot beefier then stock.

I like em.
    They require shimming? Really? Youd think they would have just turned down the heim cones with a lathe like I did so theres no issues down the road...

People assume a lot.

Evidently the width of the cone(s) varied from what they measured and what my car is.

Same for the trailing arms.

By the way, some guys just torqued/bent the crap out of the install points instead of shimming it tight then torquing and then they wonder why they get noise out of the doggone things DUH.

Then, ya can't put the OEM stuff back because now they won't fit.

Picture shows shims to left (2) and right (1) of cone(s).

Also note how easy the nut is to get at (NOT!).

Here is the trailing arm with the shim if you look hard enough.

One shim on top also.

ahahnu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 LS6 Stealth Grey

This is why I asked you. Thank you. For the lay man (myself) by shims, do you mean washers that can squeeze in around the bolt and between the rod/arm and the car mounting point? Thanks!

Yeah, id say go grab some washers, or theres the other option of going super anal and going to a machine shop and having a chunk of billet steel machined into spacers correct to the thousandth of an inch.

Quote Originally Posted by ahahnu View Post
    This is why I asked you. Thank you. For the lay man (myself) by shims, do you mean washers that can squeeze in around the bolt and between the rod/arm and the car mounting point? Thanks!
    Yep, and I got them in different thickness also.

Want to know a trick to stacking shim/washers so the whole thing doesn't come apart in your hands while your trying to wedge the thing into place?

RUBBER CEMENT, and it doesn't need a lot.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.