Maggie spins but I have no boost!!!! - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Maggie spins but I have no boost!!!! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by Twitch I'm a little lost now. The top pic, is that the inside of the rear pulley? ...
    rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Re: Maggie spins but I have no boost!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch View Post

I'm a little lost now. The top pic, is that the inside of the rear pulley? And are we talking about just getting new pins? I probably missed something obvious
    Yeah that. I don't see the sheared pins in any of the pics. Am I not looking closely enough?

Don't recall anyone ever having this problem. Could it be something about your motor maybe? Maybe a lumpy idle that would send really quick changes of rotational speed through to the coupling and pins?
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

I suspect those are "shear pins" which, by defintion are designed to fail under excess/extreme load so that something more important is spared.

ctsv154 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device

First pic is the input shaft that is supposed to have three pins sticking out of it. That is inside the back of the blower. The three little holes are the pins that are sheared off. They sheared low are have a little oil in the holes so its hard to tell. I posted other pictures that you can see the pins in my hand. Those are the three pins that are broke.

In the second picture you can see the coupling still on the rotor gear set. There are six holes in the coupling. Three of those holes are occupied by the three pins on the gear, the other three are occupied by the three broken pins that are still in the coupling.

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    Could it be something about your motor maybe? Maybe a lumpy idle that would send really quick changes of rotational speed through to the coupling and pins?
    My cam does have a little chop but I have seen several other cars with WAY more chop and the maggie. I'm not sure if its the cause or not. The rotor set spun nice and smooth. I didn't see anything abnormal or out of place when I took it apart. The thing about it is, if one pin failed, the rest would fail to. So maybe one bad pin that decided to break. The other two cant bear the load by themselves and break too. Dont know, just guessing now. Why does this crap always happen on a Friday after work?!?!?!

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by ctsv154 View Post
    ... Why does this crap always happen on a Friday after work?!?!?!
    Just lucky, I guess.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

CTSV_510 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

The only answer is to stop going to work on Fridays.

Albertan is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac CTS REDLINE 2006 CTS-V Infared

That coupling is actually called a flex coupling. Its purpose is to allow slight misalignment of the drive snout to the actual blower assembly. You will find a similar coupling on any electric motor to hydraulic pump set up.
    I have a 1995 BMW 3 series and it has a similar coupling from the transmission to the driveshaft. It is a known replaceable part due to wear etc. I am surprised that the drive pins sheared off like that. I'm not sure they should have sheared as I don't think the coupling is anything other than a flex coupling. You might want to check the alignment very carefully when you put it back together. Could be that the two drives were farther out of alignment than this coupling could accept.

You cant adjust it. Its like a bell housing. It has guide pins and were it goes is were it goes. The coupling is actually really hard plastic and the holes for the pins are very tight. You have to push them out with something and I dont see how the parts could have ever been bolted together if they were misaligned. There really is no flex to any of it and there doesn't need to be. The parts all bolt together as an assembly and are never moved or disassembled unless there is a problem. The only reason I can see this being used is ease of manufacture and repair.

Albertan is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac CTS REDLINE 2006 CTS-V Infared

No matter, it still is a flex coupling. Two shafts will never line up perfectly so the coupling is needed. Take precise measurements, you might find that the shafts are mismatched by 0.020" or something that small. Or the input shaft could be slightly bent. The fact that everything is tight is all the more reason for it to break if it out of alignment. If you will have the maggie off anyway make sure you have the machine shop check carefully. If it is out of alignment, you might have to have the mounting bolt holes filled and redrilled.

radix is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by Albertan View Post
    No matter, it still is a flex coupling. Two shafts will never line up perfectly so the coupling is needed. Take precise measurements, you might find that the shafts are mismatched by 0.020" or something that small. Or the input shaft could be slightly bent. The fact that everything is tight is all the more reason for it to break if it out of alignment. If you will have the maggie off anyway make sure you have the machine shop check carefully. If it is out of alignment, you might have to have the mounting bolt holes filled and redrilled.

All good points, but any built in misalignment is a manufacturing error on magnussen's part. IMO

CTSV_510 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)

I posted your question on the ls1gto forum the other day and I followed up with your pictures. Here is a response from Brain @ Magnuson:

Quote Originally Posted by BlownChevy View Post
    The only thing that will cause that is the blower ingesting something.

The are rated to handle the load and engineered to break with something gets in the blower. keys do not break.
    http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...79#post5928279

Well nothing was in the rotors and nothing made it to the engine. When I pulled the rotors there was no evidence of any type of strike or binding on the rotors. Before I disassemble the blower I spun the rotors by hand. I even drove the car home over 40 miles after this happened.

It worked fine on the way to work. I come out to leave and the car is a dog. It broke sometime when I was parking the car or on first start up. There is one last turn before I go to work and every time I go around it I get on it because the engine shop guys always give me a thumbs up when I go by lol but I never get close to redline. I just let the maggie sing a little for them.

So it was working within the last 50yds of parking the car. After work I started it and gave a little rev and noticed it revved a little slow. Pulled out on the road and nothing.

radix is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by CTSV_510 View Post
    I posted your question on the ls1gto forum the other day and I followed up with your pictures. Here is a response from Brain @ Magnuson:The only thing that will cause that is the blower ingesting something.

The are rated to handle the load and engineered to break with something gets in the blower. keys do not break.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...79#post5928279

Should be easy enough to inspect the rotors - anything ingested big enough to jam up the works has gotta leave a mark...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.