Got the K dubs installed today - Page 9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Got the K dubs installed today in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Went and did some remeasuring on a few different "flat" surfaces, and the fronts measured around 13 3/8 and the ...
    ahahnu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 LS6 Stealth Grey

Re: Got the K dubs installed today

Went and did some remeasuring on a few different "flat" surfaces, and the fronts measured around 13 3/8 and the back comparable. Not much higher. Now I just need it to drive straight, and I'll worry about lifting it up when I get back after Vday. Thank you very much for your help / advice!

tony tone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post

When I want to get a (reasonably) accurate height measurement and don't have a (reasonably) level garage handy, I go to a gas station. The concrete pads around the pumps are pretty level, better than just going to a random section of parking lot or a typical driveway at a house.

I wouldn't expect to have even spring perch heights on each side of one end of the car, and I certainly won't have even spring perch heights front and rear. The corner weights are substantially different, which means each spring is holding up a different amount of weight and will compress a different amount.

Keep in mind the KW coil-overs don't have the double height adjustability that I think you're playing with on your coil-overs. The rear KWs aren't even coil-overs, they're just 60mm diameter springs in the stock location with adapters.

Only if he wants to ruin them by bottoming them out. And for those of us who truly drive our cars , going that low would be impossible. After a couple of track days, this is what the tops of my fender liners look like:

That passenger side one is actually worse now after 2 days at the Shenandoah Circuit running the Karussell. I'll have to replace that one soon, as it's about to fall apart.

What I was referring to is using that method as a starting point. Say your nut is 20 threads up the sleeve in the rear. If you notice a difference on a specific side (whether driver or passenger), you can adjust accordingly there on after and can document your measurements in the process.

Please excuse my assumption regarding the KWs having height adjustability. I would think with a price tag like that it would have that function to say the least. Although, I'm certain they have more functionality taken in to consideration throughout their engineering process other than just ride height.

As far as ruining them, I'm going to go with no on that. Here's a shot of my front with more than enough shock travel and ride height while still tucking the front tire nearly to the rim:

I don't think you know me well enough to assume I don't truly drive my car. I have 3 kids of which I take to school every day and pick up there on after let alone the commute to the office. I don't track the car if that's what you mean, but my car sees as much abuse as any other bucket on the street.

By the looks of it in your pic, you either have stock tires, too much suspension travel, or are just doing it wrong, but I don't want to assume. I for one have a 20x9 in the front with a 245/30/20 nitto invo of which doesn't rub like yours does (let alone the 285 that tucks in the rear). As a matter of fact, I can do a full u-turn with steering jerked all the way without a single touch. I have, mind you, taken many different scenarios in to consideration before any of my mods were done, including but not limited to extensive fender work.

and yes, 23.25"

random rear shot:

old and dirty side shot

and the original link to the shoot
    360 Forged Photoshoot

there's been more suspension adjustments since the shoot, obviously.

ahahnu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 LS6 Stealth Grey

No one can disagree your car is slamed. That tuck is crazy. Just guessing, you may have really firm springs and your shocks set tighter. Not arguing, just guessing. I for one can't drive like that, but that is one low bucket! You are also riding on 20s. Maybe it's the FL sunshine, but your car looks so blue.

tony tone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

I'm not here to argue about anything, trust me. I just know it can be done, so for one to say it can't I only feel obligated to prove otherwise in the event that someone would actually like to accomplish something similar. just ask ferny, although he just cut the shit out of his, lol.

i've always thought my car was more blue than "gray".

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by tony tone View Post
    What I was referring to is using that method as a starting point. Say your nut is 20 threads up the sleeve in the rear. If you notice a difference on a specific side (whether driver or passenger), you can adjust accordingly there on after and can document your measurements in the process.
    For a starting point, with no other information to go on, that's about the only way to go. That's how I had to do it on my Subaru, since it was a non-standard install. But the KW V3s include initial height settings for the spring perches in the install instructions, which takes away that initial guesswork.

Please excuse my assumption regarding the KWs having height adjustability. I would think with a price tag like that it would have that function to say the least.
    They do have height adjustment - otherwise ahahnu wouldn't be asking how to adjust them. What they don't have is height adjustment independent of spring preload. There's really no need to have that sort of adjustment unless the strut manufacturer is (1) using the same damper for multiple applications, or (2) marketing to people who want to lay frame. KW V3s don't fall into either of those categories. If you look at other high end European coilovers (Motons, Konis, etc) you will find, much like the KWs, they're designed to fit a specific application. Obviously I haven't looked at every set of coilovers those companies offer, but the ones I have seen don't offer that separate height adjustment; it just isn't necessary. The V3s are designed to allow you to the lower the car without compromising the suspension geometry. I wouldn't want to go any lower.

As far as ruining them, I'm going to go with no on that.
    The "them" I was referring to was ahahnu's coilovers, since your suggestion to go to 23.5" was directed at him. The V3s aren't designed to go that low, and adjusting the car's ride height that low would almost certainly ruin the dampers since they would be bottoming out constantly.

By the looks of it in your pic, you either have stock tires...
    Yes, at the track I was running stock sized tires.

..., too much suspension travel...
    I would submit that on a street car, there's pretty much no such thing as "too much suspension travel."

..., or are just doing it wrong, but I don't want to assume. I for one have a 20x9 in the front with a 245/30/20 nitto invo of which doesn't rub like yours does (let alone the 285 that tucks in the rear). As a matter of fact, I can do a full u-turn with steering jerked all the way without a single touch.
    My tires don't rub anything during U-turns, either, nor did I ever imply they did. The picture I posted shows tire rub up at the top of the fender liner, as I said when I posted the pic, and it's from extreme suspension loading at track days, as I said when I posted the pic.

I'm not here to argue about anything, trust me. I just know it can be done, so for one to say it can't I only feel obligated to prove otherwise ...
    But this is a thread about KWs, and with KWs, you can't set the ride height that low. Well, you can, but you'd be foolish to do so since you'd be risking damage to your pretty new expensive coilovers.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Sigfod is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

You can get these from Stillen. Awesome price.

blakt out is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

The install DIY was wonderful by AAIIIC, however, if anyone will benefit, I want to point out an easier way to do the front balljoint. I just did the install myself, with this thread up as a guide literally sitting there beside me. When he talked about how he screwed up his bolts that go through the ball joint in the upper control arm, I sat and looked at it all to see if there was a better way. Instead of unbolting the bottom 2 shock mounts (13mm) and then working on the ball joint, I left the bottom attached initially. Before doing anything else (other than taking the wheel off) I coated it all with WD-40. Then, I put a floor jack under the lower control arm and jacked it up till it nearly came off of the jack stand at that corner. With it compressed this much, I then put a ratcheting wrench on the nut of the bolt on the ball joint and a ratchet/socket on the bolt and went to town. Not only was there no tension on it after breaking it loose, there was no marring of the bolt at all. Once the nut was off, I literally just pushed it out with my finger. No issue whatsoever. I couldn't believe it. Then, I took a rubber mallet and knocked the ball joint loose a bit, lowered the jack, and it popped loose effortlessly. I then took out the 2 13mm mount bolts at the bottom that he started with, which were still very simple, and then concluded by taking out the five big (18mm) bolts on the shock tower inside the engine bay. Both sides worked just like this. So ridiculously easy. Thought I'd pass it along.

Well, hot damn.

Glad you didn't mind me amending your post a bit. You did a lot of awesome work for those of us to follow in your footsteps. With my revision, I had both fronts fully out and reinstalled in less than an hour with no thread damage. Car was already on jacks though and the rotors were off. While doing the KW install, I also installed Hotchkiss sways with PowerGrid end links, cross drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads, BMR trailing arms and BMR toe rods. The whole thing from "jack it up to set it down" took me 10.5 hours, totally alone with jack stands. I'm sure I could do it now in about 6, as I kept having to take the rear apart, lower the cradle, etc, trying to get it all to bolt in. The rear, while easier when only doing coil overs, it a bitch if you're doing all the other junk too.

soflarick is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): none

Those who have been running the KW V3 coilovers on their V's, how long/many miles did it take before the springs settled in, and did the dampers need to be readjusted after wearing in?

It's wild to me that you just asked this, as I just realized over the weekend that I needed to do some adjusting now.

I installed them at 102k and now am over 108k and the rear has definitely hardened up more than I want it to. However, since you are trying to determine how many miles it takes for them to need readjustment, at least initially, I should humbly point out that my 6k have been very intense. At least 2k miles of the 8 were deliberate, 5-800 mile drives through rural, very windy, mostly potholed roads along the NorCal coast. They car gets pushed like this one to two times a month now. I can't imagine that, short of track events, my usage is typical. However, that's where I am. Hope it helps!

rjoffe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

atdeneve is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by blakt out View Post
    There's a lot of debate about them. Just because the design is "true" doesn't make it better. Just think about the physics for yourself after reading both sides and make a conclusion. However, it must be noted that the V wasn't designed to carry the weight of each corner at the top of the strut mounts.

As for my earlier post about needing to adjust the KWs, I was thinking, and it also could be that temps went down from the 90s-100s to the 40-50s. Might make a diff.
    Angelo, over at Anze, talked with the GM engineers and confirmed that the rear shock towers are plenty strong enough to facilitate the relocation of the springs onto the shocks. They can apparently take something like a 40g impact, so...

garrettg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V | 07 Aprilia Tuono R

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    I just got back from being at sea for 4 months, and will be installing mine shortly - perhaps this weekend. So, I can't give any assessment yet on how difficult it is to change out springs. The fronts should be the same as any other coil-over. Rears should be a bit easier, I think, since they're not coil-overs - just (gently) lower the rear control arm down, insert new spring, jack it back up. I say that without actually having done it, though, so I could be talking out my arse.

The fronts use a tender spring and a main spring, which does give a progressive effect. I'm at work now - when I get home I'll try to remember to see what the rate is on the tender spring. Generally tender springs get nearly fully compressed by the weight of the vehicle when it's static, so the progressive effect isn't all that great. Doing some searching around, it appears the German manufacturers are required per TUV specs to ensure the springs remain seated even with the height adjustment at the extreme range, so the tender springs help accomplish that.

They do, but as already pointed out, chances are pretty good you'd have to get them from Germany, and they're pricey even without taking that into account. The springs are 60mm springs, so nothing too exotic - you can get 60mm springs from Eibach, H&R, Swift and Hyperco. Much easier to find those brands here State-side, and save some time/hassle on shipping.

I've learned all this because my intention is to bump the rear spring rate to match the front, like the stock spring rates are matched. I know most of the GC guys are actually running higher spring rates in the rear, so I figure I would at least want to be matched front/rear. The only hiccup I've encountered is that the rears are long for a 60mm spring - 250mm (10"). Hyperco, which is who I initially looked at, doesn't make anything that long in a 60mm. I just discovered on SCCAforums.com while googling a good link for H&R springs - www.allsprings.com (go to their webstore, then all the way to the bottom to Race Springs) - turns out that H&R has a 250mm 10kg/mm spring, which is what I need.

Alternatively, you can get 60mm-to-2.5" adapters from Vorshlag Motorsports (and probably others) so you can use the more readily available 2.5" springs. That's what I was planning to do until I found that H&R link. I need to call them and see if they actually have the H&R springs in stock - if not, I'll just go with 2.5" springs for now with the Vorshlag adapters.

Yeah, what he said! I asked a while back in a previous KW thread but never got any feedback.
    great info
    I ordered the 110 N/mm (628 pound/inch) for the rear springs to handle towing duties and to replicate the 50 pound/inch difference that is popular with the GC setups.
    thmotorsports also has the H&R race springs

Back from the dead, just to get this out of the archives.

For search purposes - KWV3, KWV3s, Variant3, Variant, KWs, Variant3s.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.