Got the K dubs installed today - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Got the K dubs installed today in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; ...
    ahahnu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 LS6 Stealth Grey

Re: Got the K dubs installed today

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    ..and the other is a little thingy....a.k.a the shock spanner wrench.
    No. There are 3 tools: the spanner wrench; a 2mm allen wrench for the rebound damping adjustment and to lock the set screw on the spring perches; and a smaller tool to adjust the compression damping. I used a 1.5mm allen wrench for that adjustment in my pics because I had left the actual tool at home sitting in the box.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrycecco View Post
    Question, Can you adjust the shock firmness easily? do you need to lift the car to do that?
    Unfortunately, I think the answer is YES, you need to lift the car. The rebound damping is adjusted from the top, so no issues there. The compression damping adjustment at the bottom of the strut, though, is hard to use. As I've described in my earlier posts, it's a pretty clever arrangement, but with the struts on the car you can't really see into those slots, which makes it damn near impossible to get the adjuster tool into the little holes so you can adjust the damping. I think the best bet would be to remove the wheel so you can actually get your head in there and see what you're doing, and of course to do that you've gotta jack up each corner of the car.

Now, is that all that hard? No. I could probably do all 4 corners in about 20min. But it would certainly be easier if I could just lie on my back and reach in around the wheel/tire to make the adjustment (as I was able to do with the DMS coil-overs I used to have on my Subaru, and as bigjim described with the QA-1s).

Quote Originally Posted by ahahnu View Post
    The bottoms aren't too bad. The top you have to remove the rear seat. It all depends on how you like it, the settings I used are a similar to stock setup, but can always make it stiffer. After install you'd want to go for a ride with the back seat still out to see if you need to make any adjustments.
    That's what I did as well.

Do you use a long screw-driver type tool to adjust?
    Q: Will a small hole on the top of the plastic trunk housing work to access the adjustment?
    It's just a little allen wrench. You could conceivably use a longer tool to reach down in there, but good luck blindly stabbing the 2mm hole as you try to reach down behind the seat. Actually, I'm not even sure you could do that even if you tried - the strut tops are pretty far forward, and I think the rear seatback may lean back far enough that it's over the top of the strut tops.

I'd like to have if FG2 firm on the street, then rock hard at the track...
    I'm not sure how firm it will go - I don't have any desire to just run the damping as hard as possible on track. Just like anywhere else, the suspension needs some compliance on track to maximize grip. If you read Koni's guidance on how to set up double adjustable dampers they actually advise you to start with everything on full soft and dial it up until performance degrades.

any track comments yet?
    how's turn in ability in the corners?
    I've done 3 track days on the KWs so far. The first two, at Portland Intl Raceway and Oregon Raceway Park, were with the "stock" setup. Between ORP and the third day (at Pacific Raceways) I swapped out the "stock" rear springs and installed 100N/mm springs (same rate as the front). In non-metric terms, I went from 570f/514r to 570f/570r. Honestly, I didn't notice a huge difference between the two setups. It would've been interesting to do back-to-back days at ORP with the two different setups, as ORP is a very technical track with lots of transitions that would've better revealed what (if any) differences there were.

The handling on track (as on the street) was superb. It's tough for me to quantify how much better than the stock FG2 setup the KWs are, as I had a more aggressive alignment this time and my previous track days were on Falken FK452s vice the much more capable Bridgestone RE-01Rs I was running for these 3 days. Not to mention it's been 6 months since the last time the car was on track. As expected, the car moves around less in transitions - less brake dive, less body roll - but it's still a 4000# car that's going to move around quite a bit. Pacific Raceways has some very rough pavement, and some pretty bump mid-corner sections, and the car handled that with aplomb. Turn 9, the really bumpy high speed corner, felt about the same on the KWs as it did on the FG2s. You might read that and think that's not a particularly overwhelming endorsement, but I think it's a good thing - the excellent damping characteristics of the KWs mean that they're able to keep the body motions well damped through that corner even though spring rates are nearly 50% higher than stock.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Dammit! You said aplomb. I wonder how many people have said aplomb here?

Anywho, how did you like Oregon Raceway Park? A SHO owner posted a video of clockwise and counterclockwise run in his SHO at ORP and it looked like asphalt just laid in some hilly pastures. But it looked fast with fairly high-speed corners...

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Before you said it, aplomb had only been used a total of 12 times, the first time in the CTS-V forum, impressively enough...

Wow, and I thought only baseball statisticians came up with crazy shit like that!

ORP was awesome. It's actually not a very fast track - I might have topped 100mph heading downhill into turn 3 (running CW), and I was at about 100mph heading into turn 1. It was all 3rd and 4th gear. I need to get some of my videos captured and posted, but having watched some already I can say that it really doesn't give a true flavor for just what a rollercoaster ride that track is. Very technical - lots of off camber or blind or cresting corners. Good stuff.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

jerrycecco is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

bump...
    checking in how's the KW Var 3 coilovers now after a few more miles?

any creaking noise?
    made any adjustments?

I still have it on my Xmas list...
    .....I think I've been agood boy this year....

jerrycecco@tx.rr.com

No issues to speak of. I softened the bump damping a couple weeks ago, as the cold weather is coming and I don't need the car in full attack mode for the winter. Traded vehicles with one of my buddies so I could use his F350 for some towing and he commented when he gave the car back that it rides nice. I continue to be impressed by the nice compromise that KW pulled off - firm but fluid ride, it's pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

lilgCTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 06CTS-V BOLT-ON,06JEEP TJ BUILT, 91 350SDL turbo(daily)

i gotta say after getting a ride in mikes v (ahahnu) i was so jealous of the ride that it gave i think that the car actually drove nicer then factory and the handling was worth any compermise they might have but i didnt notice any

No issues, I do get an intermittent noise, I think the same one the GC guys talk about, but don't have the time to diagnose it. It really doesn't bother me that much. I got a mailer this week from the place I got mine at for 15% retail of the kits. I don't know if that's a good price, but the place was reliable and got them to me in less then a week. If I had to do it again I would, immediately and before the last V day. Although I'm glad I didn't have to experience my first track day with them, I can not wait to track the car now. The cold weather sucks, as the car is way more then cold street / tires can handle and it's tuff toning it down...

c4ss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, Black

I gotta get a ride in your V and test these babies out, Mike. My friend might get these on his M3 as well. I want to do headers first, however.

jerrycecco is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Q: about setup at insatllation time?
    How easy/diffcult was it to setup the KW suspension?
    .....so it can be great at the track..

--Jerry

I did the install by myself in a day at the Navy Hobby Shop - I would say it was 6hr or less, but I don't recall exactly. It couldn't have been any more than 8hr, since the shop isn't even open that long. I had the car on a lift, and had access to the air tools and spring compressor at the Hobby Shop. A more competent mechanic with another set of hands could I'm sure take a significant amount of time off what it took me, and it probably wouldn't take me near as long the second time around.

Out of the box the damping adjustments were set to KW's recommended settings, and those were more than capable on track. Could it better with more tweaking? Possibly, it's just a matter of taking the time to develop a plan and then having the track time available to do the tweaking. Much like I've found doing track days in my Subaru, my grand plans to adjust the damping settings and "dial in" the setup gets thrown right out the window once I'm on track. If the car works, I'd rather be out there driving than on my back in the paddock fiddling with damping adjusters!

bdawg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 Cadillac CTSV

So if im getting this right the kw are great for adjusting your height and driving comfortably on the road and then able to stiffen up for the track.Now if your looking for staight track/aotocross setup fg2,new springs and new sways we be the ticket?

bdawg- AAIIIC can answer better, but I think it could be a PItA to adjust once they are on and all buttoned up. Now that I think about it, the bottom adjust ments aren't too bad, it's the top that's a killer. The strut tower bar and rear seat has to be removed to get to the adjustment points.

jerry- I'll tell you the faster I go the more stable the car feels if that makes sense.

Darkman- or for anyone, does the cold weather adjust ride height? Does the fluid compress and make the car lower? I know they sag a little over time and settles on a final ride height, but with winter tires sometimes they rub (really really cold) and others it doesn't.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by ahahnu View Post
    Darkman- or for anyone, does the cold weather adjust ride height? Does the fluid compress and make the car lower? I know they sag a little over time and settles on a final ride height, but with winter tires sometimes they rub (really really cold) and others it doesn't.
    Generally, cold weather should have no effect on ride height. The only possible exception that I can think of might be with the rear Nivomats on the V to the extent temperature affected the self-leveling behavior.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.