Got the K dubs installed today - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Got the K dubs installed today in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by pimpcaddy Congratulations. Since my car has set #1 from KW, it is always cool to hear experiences ...
    rjoffe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Got the K dubs installed today

Quote Originally Posted by pimpcaddy View Post
    Congratulations. Since my car has set #1 from KW, it is always cool to hear experiences from other owners. Do you have plans to purchase their Suspension Techniques matching sway bars?
    Do you have a link to those sways ?

rjoffe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ahahnu View Post
    I forgot in the original post, big shout to Beardog for tips and setting adjustment advice where to put the settings out of the box.
    Mind sharing those tips and settings ?

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Interesting. When I was tracking my V at NHMS last week, I was getting a bit of throttle-off oversteer entering Turn 1. Maybe a bit too much. I'm running 650F/700R springs with QA1s(matched at 9 clicks front to back) but I do have 275/40 18 tires in back as opposed to 245/45 18s up front(PS2s).

As for the KWs, how difficult is it to change springs?
    I just got back from being at sea for 4 months, and will be installing mine shortly - perhaps this weekend. So, I can't give any assessment yet on how difficult it is to change out springs. The fronts should be the same as any other coil-over. Rears should be a bit easier, I think, since they're not coil-overs - just (gently) lower the rear control arm down, insert new spring, jack it back up. I say that without actually having done it, though, so I could be talking out my arse.

It looks like they use 2 springs per shock up front, presumably for a progressive rate effect. I've seen that setup before so getting both types of springs must be possible.
    The fronts use a tender spring and a main spring, which does give a progressive effect. I'm at work now - when I get home I'll try to remember to see what the rate is on the tender spring. Generally tender springs get nearly fully compressed by the weight of the vehicle when it's static, so the progressive effect isn't all that great. Doing some searching around, it appears the German manufacturers are required per TUV specs to ensure the springs remain seated even with the height adjustment at the extreme range, so the tender springs help accomplish that.

Does KW offer different spring rates?
    They do, but as already pointed out, chances are pretty good you'd have to get them from Germany, and they're pricey even without taking that into account. The springs are 60mm springs, so nothing too exotic - you can get 60mm springs from Eibach, H&R, Swift and Hyperco. Much easier to find those brands here State-side, and save some time/hassle on shipping.

I've learned all this because my intention is to bump the rear spring rate to match the front, like the stock spring rates are matched. I know most of the GC guys are actually running higher spring rates in the rear, so I figure I would at least want to be matched front/rear. The only hiccup I've encountered is that the rears are long for a 60mm spring - 250mm (10"). Hyperco, which is who I initially looked at, doesn't make anything that long in a 60mm. I just discovered on SCCAforums.com while googling a good link for H&R springs - www.allsprings.com (go to their webstore, then all the way to the bottom to Race Springs) - turns out that H&R has a 250mm 10kg/mm spring, which is what I need.

Alternatively, you can get 60mm-to-2.5" adapters from Vorshlag Motorsports (and probably others) so you can use the more readily available 2.5" springs. That's what I was planning to do until I found that H&R link. I need to call them and see if they actually have the H&R springs in stock - if not, I'll just go with 2.5" springs for now with the Vorshlag adapters.

Quote Originally Posted by rjoffe View Post
    Mind sharing those tips and settings ?
    Yeah, what he said! I asked a while back in a previous KW thread but never got any feedback.
    mackey and mackey like this.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

shadybx7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes

mike, here are some more pics of you smokin KW's

pimpcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Platinum/Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by rjoffe View Post
    Do you have a link to those sways ?
    I just checked the application chart on the Suspension Techniques website and didn't find a part number. I suggest that you contact your vendor and have them inquire directly with KW/ST about the sway bars.

I had the Hotchkis bars via a group buy when KW did the work to my car.

c4ss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, Black

Looking good Mike Wish I could have seen them at the DMV show the other day. Once school is over for sure.

Hopefully lowering it another inch doesn't affect your ability to get up to your favorite tailgating spot at Giants Stadium

ahahnu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 LS6 Stealth Grey

Quote Originally Posted by c4ss View Post
    Looking good Mike Wish I could have seen them at the DMV show the other day. Once school is over for sure.

Hopefully lowering it another inch doesn't affect your ability to get up to your favorite tailgating spot at Giants Stadium
    Gonna bring wood blocks just in case!

Thanks for the pics, we were almost ligned up perfectly for a group shot, almost looks like you have a flash on your phone.

For the settings.... I have to go reread the paper work, but it is in the KW group buy thread. I will double check and repost...

Ok I checked, for the top adjustment, turn all the way to the left (clockwise looking down) until it stops and turn back out two and one half clicks counter clockwise.

The bottom (looking up) turn all the way to the left(clockwise) until it stops. Turn backout counter clockwise 5 clicks.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    I just got back from being at sea for 4 months, and will be installing mine shortly - perhaps this weekend. So, I can't give any assessment yet on how difficult it is to change out springs. The fronts should be the same as any other coil-over. Rears should be a bit easier, I think, since they're not coil-overs - just (gently) lower the rear control arm down, insert new spring, jack it back up. I say that without actually having done it, though, so I could be talking out my arse.
    Nah, I meant acquiring the springs. Believe me, I now know how to change springs with my eyes closed...and the rears are that easy. Takes more time to jack up the car and remove the wheels than to actually remove the spring...

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Well, that's good to hear. Depending on how time works out this weekend I may see about installing the coil-overs this weekend. I went ahead and ordered the H&R springs for the rear, but they won't come in until early next week. Soooo, I can drive it for a few days and see how it feels on the "normal" springs, then install the H&Rs.

Of course, that plan may be torpedoed by the work I have to do on my Subaru still, so we'll see...
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

This was the best pic after a blurry photo shoot after work yesterday. Sunlight was fading quick.

After driving all over the place and enjoying some twisty roads I know well, this set up is sick.

I still get a light banging from the front. So annoying. I haven't had time or a dry enough day to pull the wheels and see if the sway bar is upside down. The last time I had the wheels off and tried to shake it or move it, nothing.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Pic whore.

Love the stance, though. That's right about where mine is...

Pic whore.

Love the stance, though. That's right about where mine is...
    Thanks. Just trying to keep up with the Jon's of the forum...

After seeing Jrandalls and others at Vday, this was the height for me. Seeing it go down the highway was perfect! Thanks Jesse.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

I still get a light banging from the front. So annoying. I haven't had time or a dry enough day to pull the wheels and see if the sway bar is upside down. The last time I had the wheels off and tried to shake it or move it, nothing.
    Congratulations, I am officially jealous. The car looks terrific too. The light banging from the front - did you have that before this install?

I did yes. (sigh) What suggestions do you have for me? You always seem to have the correct technical answer.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

I did yes. (sigh) What suggestions do you have for me? You always seem to have the correct technical answer.
    Well my track record at diagnosing noises over the internet is less than stellar.

In you case you are running out of possibilities since the install should have revealed any issue with the upper control arm or ball joint. I would start by removing the end links entirely. You can drive the car with them disconnected long enough to see if the noise is eliminated. If it is, then your issue relates to the sway bar and/or end links.

If that doesn't eliminate the noise I think you are down to: (a) lower control arm bushings (I think these are not serviceable and require replacing the arm); or (b) something odd, like a loose component (ps pump, ps cooler, ps hose retainer, etc.).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.