Monster Clutch Stage 2.5 with 15lb Flywheel Review
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Monster Clutch Stage 2.5 with 15lb Flywheel Review in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; 1500 miles ago I had SNL Performance install a Monster Clutch Level 2.5 Premium package with the lightweight chromoly flywheel. ...
    whisler151 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor

Monster Clutch Stage 2.5 with 15lb Flywheel Review

1500 miles ago I had SNL Performance install a Monster Clutch Level 2.5 Premium package with the lightweight chromoly flywheel. The difference between the Level 2.5 and 2 is that the 2.5 has a hybrid organic layer on the flywheel side that makes for smoother engagement and a ceramic button on the pressure plate side that increases the torque capabilities. I could not be happier! It seems that after 40k miles my stock clutch was on its last legs.

The install went seamless. I dropped my car off Monday morning and it was ready later that day. They use their own version of a modified C6 slave cylinder (for those who were going to ask). The Level 2.5 is rated to hold 525rwhp. I'm at 375rwhp/368rwtq right now, but my future mods will include; a nice size cam, ported heads, ported TB, and a ported/replacement intake manifold. Enough to easily get me to 425rwhp. But, there is a chance that down the road I may throw on a small dry shot so I wanted to make sure my clutch would hold.

In the break in period I did notice some chatter when starting in first. I wasn't too worried about it because this is a heavy duty clutch, I don't expect it to be as smooth when starting. Now that I'm at 1500 mile I rarely get chatter and the more I beat on the clutch the better it feels. My fiance even made the comment that the car is smoother now when shifting between the gears. That's a lot coming from a woman that despises my car!

The 15lb chromoly flywheel that came with the package is AMAZING! My car feels like it gained 50rwhp from it. It revs up so quickly. 1st and 2nd gears fly by now. It is a bit easier to kill the car with the lightweight flywheel, but nothing a few blips of the throttle won't cure. I am so glads I went with the lightweight flywheel.

Overall I am very pleased. I would recommend Monster Clutches to anyone. Their customer service was great as well. They are a great group of guys to work with. If anyone in the DFW area wants to drive my car to see how the clutch and flywheel feel just let me know.

Here is the link to their LSx clutches... http://www.monsterclutches.com/gm.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Natedog is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac CTS-V Series

Re: Monster Clutch Stage 2.5 with 15lb Flywheel Review

Good write-up.. what did the install run you if you don't mind ?

NormV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Kooks,MOMO seats,C5 hubs,3489#

Flywheel is relatively inexpensive compared to aluminum:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/F1-RA...Q5fAccessories

Norm

Quote Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
    Good write-up.. what did the install run you if you don't mind ?
    Install was $300.

nmaier2201 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Thx for the writeup I was (and still am) curious to get feedback on flywheels that much lighter than stock. Glad you like it. Fidanza is 16lbs yours is 15lbs... that's a LOT lighter than stock.

I ended up getting the LS7 clutch which is like 24-25lbs or something... so it's lighter.. than our stocker (which is 38lbs I think) I was hesitant to go that much lighter... now I'm kinda wishing I had... oh well. I'm sure shedding 13lbs is going to put a smile on my face

Quote Originally Posted by nmaier2201 View Post
    Thx for the writeup I was (and still am) curious to get feedback on flywheels that much lighter than stock. Glad you like it. Fidanza is 16lbs yours is 15lbs... that's a LOT lighter than stock.

I ended up getting the LS7 clutch which is like 24-25lbs or something... so it's lighter.. than our stocker (which is 38lbs I think) I was hesitant to go that much lighter... now I'm kinda wishing I had... oh well. I'm sure shedding 13lbs is going to put a smile on my face
    1st and 2nd gear are so peppy now. Its awesome!

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Does it decel alot faster as well? Any videos of revs?

I'm still waiting on my Hendrix clutch.
    It's going to be a hybrid as well...organic/ceramic. His billet flywheel (fidanza) weighs 16 lbs....so I'm anxious to get this damn thing going. I'm tired of my sick clutch!!!

Was the C6 slave the same size as a LS7 slave, and/or what was "modified" about it?

Do you ever get the "dead pedal on the floor" thing that some people get?

liqidvenom is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): cts-v

thanks for the writeup, you mention the car might stall at times.... is that if you step on the clutch the car will die or is that if you are rolling around in gear at a low rpm the car is easier to stall? do they sell the modified slave cylinder? if not are we able to use any other gm slave to do the job.

Thanks for the writeup.

Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    Does it decel alot faster as well? Any videos of revs?

I'm still waiting on my Hendrix clutch
    I know I know, i'll get a video as soon as the weather is better here.

The decel was the first thing I noticed. When you turn the car off it shuts down so much quicker, it starts up quicker too.
    When I was on the dyno I was surprised how quickly it deces.

Sorry you are still waiting on yours.

Quote Originally Posted by liqidvenom View Post
    thanks for the writeup, you mention the car might stall at times.... is that if you step on the clutch the car will die or is that if you are rolling around in gear at a low rpm the car is easier to stall? do they sell the modified slave cylinder? if not are we able to use any other gm slave to do the job.

Thanks for the writeup.
    With a lightweight flywheel the car is easier to stall because of the loss of rotating mass. When you let off the clutch in 1st gear the rpms drop very quickly. A simple blip of the throttle fixes it...and sounds great.

liqidvenom is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): cts-v

Ohh then thats a normal thing. going from neutral to 1st the revs would drop kinda quick. I thought you meant if you came to a stop and went to neutral that the car would try to stall... I wonder if thats something you could get a tune to take care of?

Quote Originally Posted by liqidvenom View Post
    Ohh then thats a normal thing. going from neutral to 1st the revs would drop kinda quick. I thought you meant if you came to a stop and went to neutral that the car would try to stall... I wonder if thats something you could get a tune to take care of?
    The only thing a tune can do is raise your idle. You know when you are in 1st gear and you let off the clutch to quickly, the car dies. Well with the lightweight flywheel, because the revs drop so quickly, it is a lot easier to kill it. All you have to do is give it more gas when starting in first.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by nmaier2201 View Post
    ... our stocker (which is 38lbs I think) ...
    Isn't it 58 lbs?
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

bandit6678 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cts-v

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    Isn't it 58 lbs?
    I thought it was 51lbs!!! damn were some confused SOB's

cobra29svt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

I thought it was 52lbs

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.