Hendrix-Engineering econo axle tester needed! - Page 16
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Hendrix-Engineering econo axle tester needed! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I do have the Hendrix axles (the full package) and I did not say they don't work. They do. They ...
    JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Re: Hendrix-Engineering econo axle tester needed!

I do have the Hendrix axles (the full package) and I did not say they don't work. They do. They just are not the miracle fix everyone was hoping for. For that matter, I fully doubt there is a 100% fix to be had (unless you install a live axle).

I was just hoping they would cure the hop on light take-offs. They don't. But if it is a burnout you desire, these axles do deliver. My rudimentary engineering knowledge tells me that for the unequal diameters to have an effect, there has to be sufficient load on the axles. Without sufficient load, these axles really do not do anything different than the stock axles do. And why would they? Aside from the 1/8" diameter difference, they are pretty much identical.

Having said all that, I don't really regret installing them. One situation where I am fully satisfied is throttle oversteer. I know some of you guys didn't have an axle tramp issue during oversteer, but my car, for whatever reason did. These axles have cured that problem.

As for evidence of a successful, tramp-free burnout, I offer this:

disclaimer: I neither admit to, nor do I condone this behavior

Oh, and as of yet, I have not had a launch opportunity on concrete. And I doubt I will anytime soon. Around Chicagoland, you don't find a lot of concrete, except on densely traveled main roads and expressways.

Desolate backroads and such (pretty much the only places I am comfortable experimenting) are all asphalt.

SkullV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): NONE

Quote Originally Posted by malfeas99 View Post
    Seriously?
    I'm just messing with you man. Deep down we are just all pissed that we werent the lucky one who got the free axle! But in all seriousness get that baby installed and go directly to the 1/4 mile drag strip. That is all the proving grounds we need!

Hendrix-Engineering is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): escalade

I will only respond too say there is NOTHING in a proline axle that be compared as like stock,someone could also have contributing factors,wore out ruber couplers,u joints,outer bearings etc that could contribute to hop after the axles are installed,something to consder:

I will concede that point. And I am considering specter bushings as my next upgrade.

However, my car has 16000 miles, so I doubt worn out anything is contributing to my situation. I do think the tires I had installed at the same time might have been part of the problem. I bought them used, they were sitting so long the surface of the tires was like a hockey puck. They are well scuffed up now though, and it seems, it seems, like the hop is getting even more diminutive now.

My only concern is that once the hop starts, it continues all the way to redline if I don't back off. But it is not like the hop I had before I got the axles. It is more of a chatter. But the bottom line is that it is still present in some situations.

CTSV_510 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)

What is going on here? So Jimmy is getting some hop? Anyone else?

There is another issue at work here. How does my definition of wheel hop compare to anyone else's here?

I never thought it was that bad to begin with. And I have contended with wheel hop on several other cars I have owned.

The deciding factor that prompted me to get these axles was the hop I was getting on oversteer. The fact that these axles have gotten rid of that satisfies me. I am only bringing it up because I don't want some noob coming in here who just bought a V to think these axles are the fix-all cure for wheelhop.

I still contend (and plenty of others agree with me) that the miracle cure does not, nor will ever, exist.

manciniat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts-v

just want to add my .02 ive got a thousand miles on mine with no hop, on all driving conditions. hard launch, half launch, normal driving, and burnouts. some times i do get tire churp, lets not confuse tire churp with the cradle slamming the bottom of the car, or at least, thats what my wheel hop sounded like! which ive had nothing close to since my axles were installed.
    thanks

Good for you. That is good to hear. Truly. And I am sure there are plenty more guys out there who will install these axles and not get any hop. Like the guy from Hendrix said, there are a lot of contributing factors to wheel hop. It just so happens that in my case, I am still getting a little hop. And there will likely be more like me.

I just want to note what my thesis is here: I am not telling anyone not to buy these. I am just stating for the record that no one should come into this forum believing there is a 100% guaranteed fix for wheel hop to be found. I doubt there ever will since I don't think anyone, GM included, knows for 100% sure all the factors that combine to create wheelhop.

One other thing. I havent experienced full blown wheelhop since I took the F1s off the back. The RSA seriously diminished it; and I think it was diminished somewhat when I first got the car since I have FG2. So my recollection of "major" wheelhop is somewhat hazy; and maybe that wasnt even as bad as some guys got.

And I will say this also; when I was running F1s on my Maxima, I had wheelhop that was twice as bad as any hop I got on the V with the RSAs.

So like I said in the previous post; what I am calling wheelhop (that I am still getting) may not even be what you guys consider wheelhop. I said it was more of a chatter. There is certainly no "slamming" I can tell you that for certain. But it is not the pure spinning that (I guarantee you) someone who eventually will come along is going to expect.

Oh and in addition to the lack of oversteer hop, the axles also cured hop on the 1-2. Already several times, I have slammed the 1-2 without even a hint of hop. Just spinning. And once or twice, even a little fishtailling

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    even a little fishtailling
    Do you condone this?
    Unless I hear something really bad, I'm sure I'll be getting this axle. But I'm glad I don't have the funds to get it right away. It's not like I'm a repo man like Randy

If you have the money, it is likely a worthwhile mod. If I had to do it all again, I probably would.

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

Just so everyone is clear- JimmyH has the full set (2) Hendrix axles- not the economy 1 axle being discussed here.
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

liqidvenom is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): cts-v

I have driven nearly every car we build and tons of other brands in my short lifetime and I can say this. Nearly every IRS hops some what. M5's, m3's, z coupes, c63 etc. under the right conditions they will hop a bit but you can drive right through it without issue. We took an m5 out to lunch it hopped ( or better yet skipped going around a corner) but it was so minor the driver didnt notice. just mostly the noise was heard.

But in a performance situation you can just drive right through it since it happens only slightly at launch. also alot has to do with the type of tires and road surface etc.

i've even seen solid rear cars hop.

^^
    Just watch Motorweek. When they start the 0-60, you will almost always see a little hop coming off the line.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.