Initial Observations on UUC Flywheel Install
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Initial Observations on UUC Flywheel Install in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Picked up my car this morning. Drove 23-ish miles home. Initial observations are: 1) Engagement seems to be ever so ...
    rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Initial Observations on UUC Flywheel Install

Picked up my car this morning. Drove 23-ish miles home. Initial observations are:

1) Engagement seems to be ever so slightly sooner. Still, it occurs at a point in the clutch pedal travel that's not unreasonably low.

2) Drivetrain clunk seems to be reduced somewhere in the 50-80% range ... I need to drive it some more to narrow that down, but it's a BIG improvement.

3) Shifting into 6th gear at 35 MPH with very light acceleration like when I'm in town produces a very loud grinding/vibration noise coming up through the shifter. If I shift into 6th at 40 MPH, there is no noise. BTW, this scared the crap of me when I first heard it. I was able to reproduce it, so it must be that the OEM FW acted to completely dampen this out.

4) My OEM FW and clutch were in excellent condition with 45.8k miles on the clock.

5) The LA Performance bleeder I had bought had an intentional bend in the rigid tube coming out of the assembly. The mechanic had to straighten it in order to align it with the notch in the bell housing that provides access to the bleed fitting in the OEM slave.

6) I noticed no chatter at all (other than the God-awful noise at low RPM mentioned above) during clutch engagement/disengagement and no vibration at all regardless of speed.

7) The OEM FW was in my trunk, and it was interesting to notice the dual-mass nature of it. I could rotate the inner portion several degrees in either direction as it bumped up against the inner springs the intent of which is to soften shocks to the drivetrain and may well be a significant source of clunking sounds.

8) The mechanic who did the install has done some racing before and has a long history of building and repairing motors, clutches, etc. He marveled at the UUC FW and thought it was gorgeous. It was nice to hear him say that.

I cannot yet comment on any perceived performance difference as I didn't push the car hard yet.

Finally, I think this is a worthwhile mod both from the standpoint of reduced drivetrain/driveline clunk and from the expected performance gains.

That's it! Others may want to chime in on their experiences with it, and just remember, Luke at Lindsay Cadillac can fix you right up with one.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Re: Initial Observations on UUC Flywheel Install

Do you like the way it drives...is it easier/harder?

Did your mechanic make a notch in the bell housing?

Since you didn't replace the clutch, you can get on it.....how fast do the rpm's get up?

Does it decel superfast now? You should take a video so I can drool on my keyboard

CTSV_510 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)

Shifting into 6th gear at 35 mph?

I never shift to 6th unless I'm going at least 40 mph on flat or declining grade.

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    ...and just remember, Luke at Lindsay Cadillac can fix you right up with one.
    Actually, I think he's out of them and UUC is not making any more.

P.S. Thanks for the info! Very interesting about the dual mass / clunk relation.

Lindsay Cadillac Parts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): All of them

[QUOTE=CTSV_510;1947579]

I have been wrestling with the deciscion to place an order for more of them. my main concern is I have to order so many at a time, am I going to get stuck with them. they run $435.00 (I think, its been so long) so if there is 7-8 people that want to call and order one..... I have been using the LS7 setup in its place with (I think) great success also. it is $635.00 for clutch, flywheel (25lbs instead of the 19lb UUC), and slave cyl.
    Luke Butler
    703-647-8670
    lbutler@lindsaycadillac.com

Quote Originally Posted by CTSV_510 View Post
    Shifting into 6th gear at 35 mph? ...
    My graying hair entitles me.

Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    Do you like the way it drives...is it easier/harder?

Did your mechanic make a notch in the bell housing?

Since you didn't replace the clutch, you can get on it.....how fast do the rpm's get up?

Does it decel superfast now? You should take a video so I can drool on my keyboard
    Guyz have thrown the term "butter" out there to describe shifting, etc when they've changed to a different oil/lube, but every time I shifted, that was the word that kept popping into my head.

Bell housing had a notch in it already.

Mike, the mechanic, took it up to red line after the install "to see if there was any vibration," according to him. At least that's what he said. Naw, I didn't get much over 3k RPM. Again, it ran flawlessly except for that low RPM thing. Amazing thing was the reduction in the clunking. Mind you, I still have some coming from the back somewhere, but noticeably less than before.

No, no video this time. And since I didn't take it up very high on RPM, I forgot to notice the decel rate ... that's a good point. Sure as heck was smoother, though.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Kmajecki is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

When i launch in 6th gear i get this weird noise and smell, is that normal? lol jk Rand hope you like it, i loooove mine!

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    I cannot yet comment on any perceived performance difference as I didn't push the car hard yet.
    No kidding. 6th gear @ 35 mph

My car don't see 6th under 60.
    Can't wait to hear more.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

I consider the 6th gear rattle introduced by the UUC lightweight flywheel to be a "feature" not a "flaw." It reminds me to avoid lugging around in 6th gear, which reportedly is one of the causes of 6th gear vibration related failures for the T-56.

All I can say is that they should've priced this car a whole bunch higher. Then, maybe so many young whippersnappers wouldn't've been able to afford it.

Go out and beat the hell out of it already!

Let us know how fast you go thru 1st gear

liqidvenom is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): cts-v

[quote=Lindsay Cadillac Parts;1947585]
    Quote Originally Posted by CTSV_510 View Post

I have been wrestling with the deciscion to place an order for more of them. my main concern is I have to order so many at a time, am I going to get stuck with them. they run $435.00 (I think, its been so long) so if there is 7-8 people that want to call and order one..... I have been using the LS7 setup in its place with (I think) great success also. it is $635.00 for clutch, flywheel (25lbs instead of the 19lb UUC), and slave cyl.
    is that a 25lbs ls7 flywheel? and with the ls7 setup u have to notch the bell housing or something i assume?

this whole mess of random options ends up confusing the crap out of me.

liqidvenom is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): cts-v

also what type of clutch, flywheel assy does the v2 run? I wonder if we could run their clutch setup, and if/when people make flywheels for them if we could run those.

Luke do yo have any idea about the OEM clutch and what other cars run that?

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    Go out and beat the hell out of it already!

Let us know how fast you go thru 1st gear
    Dude, he's got a Maggie. When you get into the big leagues, you'll realize that first gear's not worth measuring.

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
    Dude, he's got a Maggie. When you get into the big leagues, you'll realize that first gear's not worth measuring.
    What league are people w/o headers? ...Busch???

nmaier2201 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

ROFL! Busch league is running your V with all the stock rubber bushings, shifter, and runflats....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.