Balky shifter; Sanity check
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Balky shifter; Sanity check in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; We all know that one of the quirks of the V shifter is that it is sometimes tough to get ...
    6104696 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Balky shifter; Sanity check

We all know that one of the quirks of the V shifter is that it is sometimes tough to get into reverse. I have now noticed (by mashing my finger) that when I push the shifter all the way to the right to go into reverse, that it (the shift rod just below the knob) hits the plastic edge of the console that surrounds the shifter. Does anyone else have a similar occurence?

When I push it as far as I can to the left, I can't make it hit the console. There is at least 1/4" clearance. the console/armrest in my car (2004 model) is more or less centered between the front seats, unlike some others.

I am also experiencing the shifter seemingly hitting the "reverse" gate on the way into 5th gear from 4th gear (at any speed). A minor move to the left clears it and it goes right into 5th. At least one other owner has indicated the same problem. Anyone else?

These are minor issues and I am not planning on taking them to the dealer, but I am curious if these are universal "quirks".

Thanks.

Doug

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

Re: Balky shifter; Sanity check

My V has never had a problem going into reverse.

The shift lever doesn't hit the console. Your V may have the "misaligned console" syndrome - check the FAQ.

It is impossible to hit the reverse gate moving forward above a certain speed (~5 mph? something like that) because the T-56 has a solenoid that locks out reverse, similar to the CAGS.

Say your car is in a parking spot and you start it up in neutral. Do you go right for reverse or do you put it in 1st gear first and then reverse before backing out of the spot?

globed70 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Not to alarm you, as you've had a few problems...

But no, I don't have a problem getting into reverse or hitting anything with my shifter (04 w/ 3800 miles). Finding 5th from 4th has been easy up to speeds over 100.

However.... when the car was newer, I did have a problem finding 5th when switching up at redline from 4th... I haven't been on a long enough trip to try (numerous times) again. Will post if it's still an issue.

Rich H is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV

I have always had problems getting into reverse. I have adjusted the console position using the cadillac FAQ info but my shifter still hits it as you have described. I also initially had problems getting into 5th from 4th when the car was new but this problem corrected itself at about 1000 miles. For the first 1000 miles I was very disappointed with the tranny and nearly took in to the dealer. I can live with the reverse problem. However, recently I've had a few cases where I couldn't shift into first from neutral at a dead stop. Frankly, I'm not too impressed with this T56 tranny but it hasn't outright failed me - yet.

ctsvett is offline FAQ is your Friend
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

When I go into reverese I usually have to try 2 times and it goes in on the second time. I think it is because I dont shove it sideways far enough... Could be cockpit error....

Not to thread hi-jack, but I have been having a problem with my shifter getting the car to go into gear sometimes. When I put the car in 1st at a light, and then decide to take it out... I put it in neutral and take my foot off the clutch to wait for the light... When I try to put the car back into first, sometimes it wont go. I have to force it into 1st. Sometimes I put it into second and then try 1st again and it will go. Sometimes this happens with 3rd gear also.

Anyone else have this problem?

Reed
    http://www.cadillacfaq.com

Rich & Reed - Give this a try if the car won't go into gear - at a stop light, push in the clutch, try 1st & if it doesn't go, let the clutch pedal back up and press it down again and try to select 1st gear. Letting up on the clutch pedal will spin the transmission internals and allow you another shot at the gears all meshing up and being happy. (This method will also work for reverse gear)

If that doesn't work, you both may have clutches that are not fully releasing from the flywheel. If your V's had 100,000 miles on them, it could be a synchro problem, but on cars this new, the tranny internals should still be in very excellent condition.

ctsvett is offline FAQ is your Friend
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Is that a sign of bad synchos?

Another symptom is when I am decelerating and approaching a stoplight, and I go to put it into 1st, the shifter sometimes "Bumps/hesitates" and the shift is rough like the synchros are not working (but i am decelerating)

Could be the synchos.. This is my main complaint when I EVENTUALLY take my car in....Maybe next week....

Reed
    http://www.cadillacfaq.com

Unless you've been power shifting at the drag strip, the synchros in your tranny *should* be fine. What you are both describing sounds more like a clutch that is not releasing from the flywheel. This could be caused by a warped flywheel and/or clutch disc (typically caused by overheating), faulty springs/fingers on the pressure plate, bad throw-out bearing (unlikely), defect with the master/slave cylinder or air in the hydraulic line.

Here's another thing to try - if it won't go into 1st gear, shut the engine off, don't release the clutch pedal. Try to engage 1st gear, if the lever now slides right into the 1st gear gate, the problem lies with the clutch and/or flywheel, not the synchros.

6104696 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by StealthV
    My V has never had a problem going into reverse.

The shift lever doesn't hit the console. Your V may have the "misaligned console" syndrome - check the FAQ.

It is impossible to hit the reverse gate moving forward above a certain speed (~5 mph? something like that) because the T-56 has a solenoid that locks out reverse, similar to the CAGS.

Say your car is in a parking spot and you start it up in neutral. Do you go right for reverse or do you put it in 1st gear first and then reverse before backing out of the spot?
    The console is pretty well aligned, front and back; I checked that out before even buying the car. This isn't a big problem, but sometimes I do need to pop the clutch and depress it again to get it to go in to reverse. Since reverse is unsynched (?) this is normal, I suppose, but when I realized that I was hitting the console plastic it was one of those "things that makes you go hmm".

In going to 5th gear, maybe it isn't the reverse "gate" but it feels like there is a small obtacle in the natural path from 4th to 5th, and I have to jog the shift lever a hair to the left to go around it and then back to right and up into 5th.

Maybe when it goes in for the control arm recall or the reflash or if the rear blows up or whatever, I'll put this on the list.

My only real problem was the leaky diff which was fixed nicely by the dealer; as far as I am concerned so far am happy with the car.....

dhg

benjet is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by 6104696
    Since reverse is unsynched (?) this is normal, I suppose, but when I realized that I was hitting the console plastic it was one of those "things that makes you go hmm".

In going to 5th gear, maybe it isn't the reverse "gate" but it feels like there is a small obtacle in the natural path from 4th to 5th, and I have to jog the shift lever a hair to the left to go around it and then back to right and up into 5th.
    To my knoweldge reverse in the V DOES have a syncro. As well under the shift boot we have a piece of "foam" with cuts in it to allow you to get into gears with some minor resistance, maybe this has gotten caught in your case.
    Just a thought.
    -Ben

trekster is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V R.I.P.

I have a problem with this when I want to switch to reverse.

Rich H is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV

Quote Originally Posted by StealthV
    Here's another thing to try - if it won't go into 1st gear, shut the engine off, don't release the clutch pedal. Try to engage 1st gear, if the lever now slides right into the 1st gear gate, the problem lies with the clutch and/or flywheel, not the synchros.
    This is what I experienced in nearly every gear shift when the car was new (<1000 miles). I had resistance getting into almost any gear when the engine was running. However, when I turned the engine off, as you suggest, the shifts were smooth - little resistance. I agree that it was likely the clutch not fully releasing then. Now the only problem is shifting to first or reverse at a dead stop with the engine running. I will try to shut down the engine at a stoplight when the traffic is thin and see if it makes any difference.

cts-vette is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I have noticed some similar issues and have played with the clutch position at a light to see if it goes into 1st any better or makes a difference, and it usually does not.
    When i am stopped i do have to "push" it into 1st and most of the time feel like there is two stages to getting it into 1st.

With 4k+ on the car i do not think it is a matter of "breaking in"
    Reverse used to be a problem but after 1K it was much easier

It is not a huge issue, nor do i think it is a synco problem, just "the way it is"

And in the words of my good fried Billy Joel :drinker , to my V i say..."I love you just the way you are!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.