ATTN: Gearheads - Stroker Build - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, ATTN: Gearheads - Stroker Build in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; You can also build a 427 with the LS3 block with stock bore. You just need a 4.125" stroke crank....
    ctsv154 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device

Re: ATTN: Gearheads - Stroker Build

You can also build a 427 with the LS3 block with stock bore. You just need a 4.125" stroke crank.

rangerrob is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 Black Diamond CTS-V

is a 427 the most feasible ci if i wanted to go FI later on?

Kmajecki is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

What (if anything) needs to be kept in mind to ensure it bolts right up to the tranny? Will any LS motor bolt right up? (LS2, LS6, LS3)

liqidvenom is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): cts-v

Quote Originally Posted by nmaier2201 View Post
    I need to do some research on what the limiting factors are for RPMs. I mean what did they do to that 454 to make it able to rev that high... I thought it was a velocity issue with the pushrod motor along with the length of stroke... but then you see charts like that... and they overcame the RPM limit somehow.... I would really like to figure that out.
    same here.... maybe they tried some nascar type of tricks to get it to go that high

CTS-Voodoo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Raven V

Heh, sounds like an LQ9 block and a set of L92 heads are in order.. Yay cheap performance!

Quote Originally Posted by Kmajecki View Post
    What (if anything) needs to be kept in mind to ensure it bolts right up to the tranny? Will any LS motor bolt right up? (LS2, LS6, LS3)
    They are basically the same. The bell housing bolt pattern is the same for all LS blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by rangerrob View Post
    is a 427 the most feasible ci if i wanted to go FI later on?
    I cant really answer this question but I was told the 414 was not a good FI motor because the stroke pulls the piston skirt to far out of the bore. While this is okay for NA, add boost on top of it and it could be bad. I believe this is also a note on Texas Speeds web site. I'd give these guys a call. They are good guys.

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/

maloCoupe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '57 Coupe deVille, '04 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by nmaier2201 View Post
    I need to do some research on what the limiting factors are for RPMs. I mean what did they do to that 454 to make it able to rev that high... I thought it was a velocity issue with the pushrod motor along with the length of stroke... but then you see charts like that... and they overcame the RPM limit somehow.... I would really like to figure that out.
    Its not that difficult to build a high rev pushrod motor. The two most important factors is to overcome is rotating mass and valve float. A lightened billet steel crank, billet aluminum rod (that build used a GRP rod....I like BME, but anywho), a good piston that are all internaly balanced. Most important is to overcome valve float due to more moving parts in the valvetrain.....this equates to more valvetrain inertia and mass. A solid roller does the trick here.

I'm no engine designer, but Im just sayin.

Scatillac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V w/ warmed-over LS7

Rob,

If you are considering going FI later on, I would use the L92/LS3 case and the L92 heads (for less valve shrouding than the 4" bore of the LQ4/9 or LS2 case). This is a proven combo on the new CTS-V and the Corvette.

If you're going to stay at 6.2L, a good base engine would be the Yukon or Escalade engine, just change the intake to the L76/LS3 version. But you'd also have to convert or deal with the VVT stuff.

If you must have more displacement with your FI application, watch your ring package and sleeve length as these can get touchy. Personally, I would not go more than a 4" stroke in a standard height case for street usage and reliability, but I'm sure that some shops will tell you otherwise. A stock bore (4.067) L92 with a 4" crank yields 415.7 CID while dropping back to a 3.9" crank would yield just under 406 CID.

If you'll notice, GM keeps their FI motor compression in the mid to upper 9s. The usable boost levels (and therefore, power) at this CR is much more than is usable at say ~11:1 and the reliability factor is much greater. As far as FI, I shot myself in the foot when I built my motor with more that a 11.25 CR but it's not down on power for my usage so I'm happy with it.

Also, to keep from having to break the engine open later,a cam that is FI specific would be the best initial install although it won't make the numbers that a NA specific cam would in the interim.

Personally, I like the Procharger setup better than the Magnusson because of the internal intercooler limits and my preference for the centrifugal-type of blower.

NormV's install, which is Corvette based instead of V-Based is of great interest to me. It's probably a lot more work (which unlike some folks, I don't mind) to do it his way but his setup just looks better to me.

liqidvenom is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): cts-v

i think we need normv to make a writeup and how he managed to get that blower mounted on that side

Quote Originally Posted by ctsv154 View Post
    They are basically the same. The bell housing bolt pattern is the same for all LS blocks.
    Although the bell housing bolt pattern is the same, the LS9 has an 8-bolt flywheel pattern and I believe that some of the other 6.2L engines also have the 8-bolt setup, so be observant if you buy a complete engine.

The iron cases are around 114 lbs heavier except for the LSX, which is about 145 lbs heavier. Either of these plus any FI setup equals oink! on your front end.

I went from GM OEM aluminum heads to Dart II cast iron on an autocrosser (C4 Corvette) and it was very noticable , requiring a whole new suspension setup.

Quote Originally Posted by liqidvenom View Post
    i think we need normv to make a writeup and how he managed to get that blower mounted on that side
    +1 on that!!! Maybe a stickie on his whole car!

I do believe that he modified a C5 setup since V's and Corvettes have the same pulley spacing arrangement. We have the same water pump and the same balancer, and on both, the other accessories are just in different locations on the driver's side which leaves the passenger side available.

Quote Originally Posted by Scatillac View Post
    Although the bell housing bolt pattern is the same, the LS9 has an 8-bolt flywheel pattern and I believe that some of the other 6.2L engines also have the 8-bolt setup, so be observant if you buy a complete engine.

The iron cases are around 114 lbs heavier except for the LSX, which is about 145 lbs heavier. Either of these plus any FI setup equals oink! on your front end.

I went from GM OEM aluminum heads to Dart II cast iron on an autocrosser (C4 Corvette) and it was very noticable , requiring a whole new suspension setup.
    I would stay with an aluminum block, especially since you are only shooting for the 500rwhp range. Your caddy with thank you. Also, like scatillac said, watch the crank if you are sticking to stock crank. But if you want to build a stroker, you need a new crank anyway. I wouldn't be afraid of an eagle crank for that hp range and an eagle will save some money. A stock crank can handle more than that so an eagle would hold it no problem. If you want an FI or a big shot on top of it, I'd go callies or lunati. Thats really about your only options anyway.

GMPP has (or at least they did before Obummer got hold of them) a 3.75" crank PN 19170389 and a 4.0" crank PN 19170390. Both are 4340 steel and come with a 58x reluctor installed (an easy swap), but the kicker is that they both have the new 8-bolt flywheel pattern.

AlmostAV is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Talk to a company that builds reputable high horsepower n/a motors....dont go about this being led blindly into the dark by people who may or may not know what they are talking about.....do your own research, and find a reputable shop to do the build....thats my opinion. do it right, and youll have nothing to regret. you dont want to put the time, effort, and money into something that doesnt make good power, and ends up always having problems and costing you alot of down time and money....

do it right or dont do it at all....thats my opinion.

Good luck. I eagerly await how this turns out. N/a is they way to go...its just by far the NASTIEST.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.