Clutch Questions...Help!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Clutch Questions...Help! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Ok, so I'm getting a Hendrix Clutch/pressure plate. I've decided to go ceramic on one side, and organic on the ...
    lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Clutch Questions...Help!

Ok, so I'm getting a Hendrix Clutch/pressure plate. I've decided to go ceramic on one side, and organic on the other. (to not be obnoxiously grabby)
    Thomas says it's of the LS7 type. I'm also getting a billet flywheel (same as Spec) which is 16 lbs. to go with it.

So here's some questions for the experts.......

1) Will I have to get a LS7 slave or can I use a LS6 slave?
    I'm under the assumption that the LS7 slave will not need a spacer, but the LS6 will? What part numbers am I looking at here?

2) If spacer is needed, does anyone have the dimensions of one? (so I can get one machined) I need diameter, input shaft hole size, width, etc.
    Or am I forced to buy the Katech one?
    Also, does it go on the inside by the throwout bearing?

3) Has anyone heard of these guys? I wonder if they would just sell the slave by itself?
    http://www.corvettedoctor.com/CTSV_Z06_Clutch.html

4) Where's the best place to buy the slave?

5) I've heard that a "notch" is needed, but some have said it's not....does it depend on which slave you use?

6) Does LAPD have the best remote bleeder?

7) Is it mandatory to change out the slave at all? Or is it just good insurance to change out since you are in there?

Sorry for all the questions.....I like to learn as much as I can before diving into installs. I figured with all the brilliant minds on here, we could eventually get some answers, and maybe bring up things that weren't thought of already. Thanks in advance!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

whisler151 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor

Re: Clutch Questions...Help!

Hmmm, I just went with the Monster Clutch stage 2.5. http://www.monsterclutches.com/level25clutch.html

SNL Performance installed everything with no problems. I was expecting a lot of issues.

Good luck.

Hendrix-Engineering is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): escalade

Quote Originally Posted by whisler151 View Post
    Hmmm, I just went with the Monster Clutch stage 2.5. http://www.monsterclutches.com/level25clutch.html

SNL Performance installed everything with no problems. I was expecting a lot of issues.

Good luck.
    Hope this doesntcome off thewrong way,i have helped several customers wth recent issues with the level 2s and 3s ,one disc came apart and took out,slave pp,.etcIf you notice any thing funny at all please get it checked!Also i would add,as a paying sponcer do we not have protecton from non sponcers websitesbe posted or dos that not apply?

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

Other vendors on this forum are expected not to post in a thread that you make. If someone is talking about your clutch and another member posts up alternatives however, they're not breaking any rules at all.

The Mods are here to keep everything clean, friendly and on topic- we aren't the thought police and we aren't here to prevent people from discussing alternative products.
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

Hendrix-Engineering is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): escalade

Quote Originally Posted by The Tony Show View Post
    Other vendors on this forum are expected not to post in a thread that you make. If someone is talking about your clutch and another member posts up alternatives however, they're not breaking any rules at all.

The Mods are here to keep everything clean, friendly and on topic- we aren't the thought police and we aren't here to prevent people from discussing alternative products.
    Discusing yes,posting a link to THERE web site NO,That is not allowed on any other site that im on,thats why we pay to be a sponcer.Just trying to get a feel for what is allowed,this site is run different and for me the better!(well not in this case lol)Thanks for answering so quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrix-Engineering View Post
    Hope this doesntcome off thewrong way,i have helped several customers wth recent issues with the level 2s and 3s ,one disc came apart and took out,slave pp,.etcIf you notice any thing funny at all please get it checked!Also i would add,as a paying sponcer do we not have protecton from non sponcers websitesbe posted or dos that not apply?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendrix-Engineering View Post
    Discusing yes,posting a link to THERE web site NO,That is not allowed on any other site that im on,thats why we pay to be a sponcer.Just trying to get a feel for what is allowed,this site is run different and for me the better!(well not in this case lol)Thanks for answering so quickly.
    It's ok, settle down. Others can talk about your competition.

By the way, are your clutches still renamed "birds of pray" clutches?

nmaier2201 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Lolly if you are going from a LS6 setup to a LS7 equivalent, then you must change you slave as well... or get a spacer... (it's good insurance to change is anyways.... even if you didn't have to)

Luke has the LS7 slave. I have the part # and price if you want it..

I also heard a notch is needed... then I didn't. My understanding is that if you are going LS7 type slave, clutch, and flywheel then no cutting is needed... but just in case be prepared to take 1/2" off one side or the other !!!! have that sawzall ready baby!!

I'm not sure on the bleeder... but whatever you end up finding and using, I'll be totally ready to shamelessly copy cat you. There are a bunch of guys on here with them so I'm sure they will chime in.... hopefully

I'd say take lots of pics... but you are the one person I don't need to say that to in these boards... good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by nmaier2201 View Post
    Lolly if you are going from a LS6 setup to a LS7 equivalent, then you must change you slave as well... or get a spacer... (it's good insurance to change is anyways.... even if you didn't have to)

Luke has the LS7 slave. I have the part # and price if you want it..
    ^Do want^

I also heard a notch is needed... then I didn't. My understanding is that if you are going LS7 type slave, clutch, and flywheel then no cutting is needed... but just in case be prepared to take 1/2" off one side or the other !!!! have that sawzall ready baby!!
    I wonder if there is one way to route it so that no notch is needed, like more room on one side of the trans/firewall/whatever....

I'm not sure on the bleeder... but whatever you end up finding and using, I'll be totally ready to shamelessly copy cat you. There are a bunch of guys on here with them so I'm sure they will chime in.... hopefully

I'd say take lots of pics... but you are the one person I don't need to say that to in these boards... good luck!
    Lol, no that's totally cool....I'd rather everyone possible chime in, so we can all benefit from the "best" setup.

I guess I'll get the LAPD, since nobody else has any suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    I guess I'll get the LAPD, since nobody else has any suggestions
    Good call. As long as you have a competent shop doing the install you should be good.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by whisler151 View Post
    Good call. As long as you have a competent shop doing the install you should be good.

Good luck.
    I'll be doing the install, so trying to make sure I don't screw anything up! lol

http://www.corvettedoctor.com/CTSV_Z06_Clutch.html

These guy emailed me back on the slave and said:
    Price is $249.95 plus $16.50 for shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    I'll be doing the install, so trying to make sure I don't screw anything up! lol
    You sir are braver than I. Best of luck.

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

A DIY clutch job is a big undertaking. Make sure you have access to a lift, multiple transmission stands (to support both the driveshaft and trans) and plenty of time.
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

Quote Originally Posted by The Tony Show View Post
    A DIY clutch job is a big undertaking. Make sure you have access to a lift, multiple transmission stands (to support both the driveshaft and trans) and plenty of time.
    Trust me, I'm loathing doing it. I'm planning on doing it in my driveway (cuz me no have no lift) hope my jackstands go high enough!!

EPP quoted me $350 for the install.....hmmmmmmm

ctsv154 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device

I did mine on jackstands and I can tell you, you want a lift lol But it is doable. You will need somebody to help get the trans back in. I had my dad with a jack under the tail and I held up the front and stabbed it in. That Tremec is heavy when your on your back. I pulled by myself. Knees under the tail and just slid it back and caught it. Not advisable if you aren't somewhat stong lol

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.