Deep in Mod Hell...CAI Problem with Nitrous Plate
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Deep in Mod Hell...CAI Problem with Nitrous Plate in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; So I am like 99% done with my nitrous install and I have a serious problem. since the nitrous plate ...
    SkullV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): NONE

Deep in Mod Hell...CAI Problem with Nitrous Plate

So I am like 99% done with my nitrous install and I have a serious problem. since the nitrous plate pushed the throttle body out about a half inch my CAI will not fit at all. I cut it a bit in the hopes that it would fit but without the PERFECT 90" bend there is no hope of it fitting. I am not sure what to do about it and now my car is stuck in my parking lot with no air intake and my dyno day is scheduled for Thursday morning. Any ideas? Anything would really help at this point!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Re: Deep in Mod Hell...CAI Problem with Nitrous Plate

Ted, get your digital camera out and take a bunch of pics. The force of dozens of guys looking at them will get you to the dyno on time.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

I'll go snap some pics right now. I think I'm going to try a Fernco joint from menards for a temporary fix if I can get it to fit right. If that doesn't work I think I'm going to have to get parts for a custom FFV intake overnighted to me. It's really the only solution I can see

So, overnighted means, like, Wednesday receiving them and putting them on (with fingers crossed) before Thursday which is dyno day?

Ah, Mod Hell. Doncha just love it?!!
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Photos:

Sneek preview of the setup under the hood if I ever get this thing working I'll order some custom length hoses:

CAI ALMOST fitting, but not, I tried to leave some of the straight part near the bend so the hose clamp would still work, but no dice. Plus my saw had a problem halfway through and made a really bad cut:

Bolt that hits CAI, makes it necessary to completly remove the bend in the K&N tube and use a 90" flexible silicone bend:

Anyone have any ideas other than a 90" silicone bend to act like a custom FFV intake?

anyone know if they carry those silicone bends at advance or autozone?

nmaier2201 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Ted. Let me just say that I don't have a K&N CAI, but if I was you earlier today I would have left the 90 degree bend at the TB alone. I would have measured the thickness of the TB plate and then trimmed that same amount off the front most edge of the airbox ( the corner of the filter box by the headlight ) then you could have moved the whole intake forward as one unit, know what I mean? just slide the whole thing forward.

Then again.. from your pictures it looks like the straight section of the tube might not of even had that amount of clearance... you might not even have the airbox part either! So what do I know? nuthin

I know autozone carries some generic silicon couplers and reducers... i'd put your chances at fairly slim

home depot carries a bunch of 4" and 3.5" rubber couplers with hose clamps.. but they don't have 90 degree bends in there and the rubber ones would be to flexible if they did... so stop by there if you only need a coupler to slide over the mucked up intake bend.

Good luck sir. I know you'll get it... even if you have to fab up a whole new DIY intake tube!

nmaier2201 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

PS. nice collection of pics.

Make sure you do a sweet write up so if I decide to keep my bottle I can follow down the path you blazed....

shadybx7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes

trim the KNN tube and add one of these
    i used this silicone reducer for my CAI set up. good quality part, doesn't deform on WOT vacuum. doesn't help you much since your in a time crunch

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/produ...d47da54742801d

Quote Originally Posted by shadybx7 View Post
    trim the KNN tube and add one of these
    i used this silicone reducer for my CAI set up. good quality part, doesn't deform on WOT vacuum. doesn't help you much since your in a time crunch

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/produ...d47da54742801d
    Thanks for the link. Just ordered one with overnight shipping I hope they ship it tomorrow morning (this morning!). I hope the K&N is a 3.5" tube. I am almost sure it is.

Quote Originally Posted by nmaier2201 View Post
    Ted. Let me just say that I don't have a K&N CAI, but if I was you earlier today I would have left the 90 degree bend at the TB alone. I would have measured the thickness of the TB plate and then trimmed that same amount off the front most edge of the airbox ( the corner of the filter box by the headlight ) then you could have moved the whole intake forward as one unit, know what I mean? just slide the whole thing forward.

Good luck sir. I know you'll get it... even if you have to fab up a whole new DIY intake tube!
    This IS getting done in time for the dyno day dammit !! The stock airbox was going to be my LAST option. I have the whole thing sitting in Munster and I was going to take my girlfriends car to get it. The stock flex tube would definitely provide enough clearance for at least the dyno day!

shadybx7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes

well done on that dyno day...

~~~~unrelated~~
    this site needs a build thread subsection for all these badasss...

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

Easy there drama queen. You are NOT "deep" into mod hell. The simple fact that you can bolt up your stock parts and drive the car puts you in mod heck
    Seriously though, you do know that the 90* tube needs to be 4" to 3.5" right? Just mentioning it cuz I know its easy to miss the little things when your stressed with mod heck.
    Good luck
    '05 Platinum l LPE CAI l Magnaflow l V1 (hardwired), w/ custom mount l UUC shifter l UUC Alcantara shift knob l K9 GEAR rear seat cover lHID fogs lHotchkis sways lCG-Lock l Specter Bushings l FG2s l Ground control 550/600 l MAGGIE 439RWHP/414RWTQ (Dynojet) l Heavys fire extinguisher bracket l Interceptor scan-gauge l Billet pedals l Meth l NO HEADERS l Original diff l 90mm upgrade l 2.6" drive pulley l LS7 clutch w/16lb. FW l Alcantara

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
    Easy there drama queen. You are NOT "deep" into mod hell. The simple fact that you can bolt up your stock parts and drive the car puts you in mod heck ...
    Post of the month!

Quote Originally Posted by SkullV View Post
    Thanks for the link. Just ordered one with overnight shipping I hope they ship it tomorrow morning (this morning!). I hope the K&N is a 3.5" tube. I am almost sure it is.
    Way to go, Ted! You can always spend your way out of Mod Hell/Heck.

j/k Good luck with this. The elbow in that link looks pretty good, IMO. I would bet you can make that work with a little fab effort. We all want to see those dyno numbers.

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Ted, go with the stock air TUBE. EPP did a bunch of tests and the tubes don't make anymore HP than a perfectly straight one. Then you can still keep your big air filter, and you should be aboe to fit the tube in there np.

Where you getting it dyno'd?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.