Show Me V-Day III!!!! - Page 9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Show Me V-Day III!!!! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by ahahnu Enroute home Hey Mike, Nice shots. Who was holding the wheel and shifting when you took ...
    jnrandall is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: Show Me V-Day III!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ahahnu View Post

Enroute home

Hey Mike,

Nice shots. Who was holding the wheel and shifting when you took them?

Here's my G-meter shot. My g's were not as high at Matt's. Did I work less or was I just smoother?

ahahnu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 LS6 Stealth Grey

I was using my knees, I have one of you in action on the highway, but it cut off the back end of your car.

Ferny is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

what are those little circles on our navi??

ahahnu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 LS6 Stealth Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Ferny View Post
    what are those little circles on our navi??
    I hope you are kidding.... Hanzel and Grettle's bread crumbs!

Ferny is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by ahahnu View Post
    I hope you are kidding.... Hanzel and Grettle's bread crumbs!
    come on man, im serious

Kmajecki is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

Really??? It's the tracking feature in the nav. Great for taking the car in for service. Records where the car has been. Another hidden secrete: The big round button on the left of the nav is the radio volume. lol jk man

c4ss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, Black

Quote Originally Posted by jnrandall View Post
    Hey Mike,

Here's my G-meter shot. My g's were not as high at Matt's. Did I work less or was I just smoother?
    I guess that explains why I was catching you in the carousel!

Quote Originally Posted by Kmajecki View Post
    Really??? It's the tracking feature in the nav. Great for taking the car in for service. Records where the car has been. Another hidden secrete: The big round button on the left of the nav is the radio volume. lol jk man

I don't know if I could have gotten back to civilization from Summit Point if it weren't for those "bread crumbs."

Tao_Haus is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS-V (2006)

Hey Mike,

You were probably smoother.
    And, there's no doubt that my car hit that peak G pulling me out of one of my two wrestling with the car weed-avoidance maneuvers. However....

....My car is set up with 255 40's up front and 275 30's in the rear - which on my rims (18" f and 19" r) almost exactly equals the stock wheel height on both ends of the car.

And with that set up (running Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's, not the world's stickiest tire but one with a great smooth, predictable, repeatable breakaway), it routinely breaks the 1.0g barrier on exit ramps where I'm not trying to just save my skin. Its kind of neat. Pre sts-v rim swap, record was 1.09; post swap 1.17 (both on same ramp, which is much more banked than anything at Summit). At Summit, it hit 1.23. Not sure where. But, I'd just picked it up from Behe and the battery was disconnected there so when I hit summit it was at like .73/.78 l/r.

Between the grip, Behe's alignment and the power to break the rear when needed to bring the nose around, I never really felt out of control of my car.

In fact, if you guys haven't figured it out yet, I've learned this about the gen 1 V -- and it applies with & without the sts wheels: if you push them to where they're just starting to break out on the fronts (i.e., understeer) and then stab the gas, you can get it to bounce out about 6" in the rear, settle in at a new angle and hold well over a G for a sustained period. The trick is learning this in a controlled situation where you're familliar with things. I learned it on my fav ramp where there's a good run off on the outside and plenty of width before you'd hit that. I practice it there once a day every day at the end of my commute, and whenever I get out for errands.

After 60k miles of hard driving in my car, I can control it very well. I know EXACTLY what it will do.

What I had a lot of trouble with wasn't car control, but "target" fixation -- something I just never have/had on the road where I always watch 3-400 yards ahead more than right in front of me. So, as a result, at least four times (especially in the first session) I would've followed the car in front of me into the weeds if he'd gone 'cause I was just following the bumper in front of me thinking that I didn't want to hit it.

I was much more comfortable later in the day -- though no one passed me all day, except the TT LS2 who snagged a pass by me and the guy in front of me when I didn't see the guy in front of me's signal to pass and so didn't take it on the straight. (My instructor saw it thru the back window I think but I couldn't see the left side of the car in the middle of the right turn (turn 9) when it came. Frankly, that was a function not of skill but of having more power & grip that most guys in the Green group. In the second session there was one guy in front of me who I could pull right up to every time there was any sort of straight road but who left me in the dust in that carousel, he let me by and I left him behind after the main straight but had it been a real race I doubt I could've gotten by anywhere but the straight anyway. It was really interesting learning just how hard it is to race on someone's bumper while trying to look far enough ahead to keep the "line".

Oh, and I'm not so sure the "line" is the same in a 1982 rear engine porsche as it is in our cars.

Hey Mike,

P.S. the best $ I spent, ($38), was for a CG-Lock. www.cg-lock.com

It locks the lap belt like a harness so you dont have to use the wheel/floor to brace so much. Makes driving/controlling the car easier.

Quote Originally Posted by qqik4u View Post
    We got great taste. There were about 3 other V's in the green group with similar setup.

The state inspection in VA kept on making me take them off every year. Also, in the night time I can see better now also.

I think there is some info that I should provide on the instructors. I cannot say that all instructors are the best, but for the most of my limited track days I had really good ones, except for this V III day.

Let me explain. 1st run in the white group. A car in front of me (black) spun out 360 with dirt all over in turn 6 and 7 and he stayed on the road course (my instructor was furious as to why that car did not pit in), 2nd a lap in the same run another car (red) spins completly off into the dirt before turn 1 and as we pass him (my instructors starts getting even more upset and makes me pull into the pad area) I sit there for good 10 minutes and no black flag as my instructor said there should be one and this is turning into the wild wild west. Now - My instructor had 4 straight days of teaching, and was not scheduled to instruct today, he ended up volunteering since my original instructors car broke down. Combined with him not ready for another day and these mishaps on the first run - There was not much for me to say after that. I think he was having an oFF day, but I still took so much valuable info.

I will always be in debt to the valuable lessons they provide and I accept their yelling, hand slapping, pointing and giving positive feedbacks, but if you are not in the mood for US DUMB ASS drivers then don't volunteer -

OK - Glad I got that out of my system.

Overall - the DAY was absolute perfection - I can't wait for the next event.

Mick

Amen! My instructor was almost useless & I was jealous of the guys I saw getting debriefed in their cars after the sessions

bneal1022 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, K&N, Borla, short throw w/ Holden knob, hotchkis

Got around to washing the car from Monday's event yesterday.. Wow... lotta asphalt like junk stuck inside my rims and a healthy cake-ing of brake dust and dirt on the front wheels. Still glad i taped the front of the ride. Still had some odd "swipes" on the top of the hood that were not there before the event, only way to prevent would have been taping the entire hood... boo.

Still reflecting on the things I learned and what Andrej told me. I am itching (among other things) to do what he said again to see if I truly learned it. I had the MOST trouble with turns 3-4, just could not pick the correct turn entry point to hit the right apex on 3 to set the stage for 4. eecchh !

ssstealth is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V, 94 Fleetwood TS

What a blast...

The ride in the VR was amazing. I expected the thing to haul ass but the braking ability of that machine really took me by surprise. We pulled out of the pits and crossed the last braking marker at 135mph, then BAM... down to 50mph in about 3 milliseconds and out of turn 1 at full speed again. It was very humbling to watch Andy hit every marker at these speeds. After that ride I felt like I was "juggling scarves" in my car.

It also became clear that a lot of attention needs to be paid to brakes on these VERY heavy cars. It appeared that about every off track incident was caused by brake fade or fluid boiling.

I will share one of my in car videos now. What we have here is a few laps with the white group. It starts out with Andy and the VR leading the pack out of the pits. There is not a lot of footage beyond that as he is out of sight by turn 1. The remainder is me chasing down Bob (LearJet) and Andy (BBD). We never saw Mr. Pilgrim again.

[YOUTUBE]HxbxZKY3dBY[/YOUTUBE]

You will also see the Magden gauge and data aquisition playing through the NAV screen. Clockwise is Boost, Speed, Water Temp, Tach, and G-Force. It was high def when I recorded it but YouTube stripped out a lot of the resolution. The sound should be turned down right after you hear Andy leave the pits.

The track walk and excellent instruction really paid off for me. I left with more tread on my tires than V-Day II and picked up speed at the same time. That was my goal.

Good Times... for those of you who missed it... don't let it happen again! This is a great crowd to hang out with.

jnrandall is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Tao_Haus View Post
    P.S. the best $ I spent, ($38), was for a CG-Lock. www.cg-lock.com

It locks the lap belt like a harness so you dont have to use the wheel/floor to brace so much. Makes driving/controlling the car easier.
    I bought 2 of them but never had the chance to install them. I got 2 because I thought the tech sheet said identical belts. Oh well, perhaps they'll get installed this weekend.

I think I was smoother too, although he did catch up to me pretty quick.

I bought 2 of them but never had the chance to install them. I got 2 because I thought the tech sheet said identical belts. Oh well, perhaps they'll get installed this weekend.

I think I was smoother too, although he did catch up to me pretty quick.
    I should have added that I felt bad for not having a second one for the instructor. Next time, that'll be there. I was worried he'd wind up in my lap -- bracing himself quite a bit while I was snuggly bucked up. Oh well. I probably wouldn't have put on in for the guy who was my instructor anyway -- not my fav person and not much of an "instructor" at all. Zip feedback before & when done with sessions and only uninteligble waving and speech when moving (my car's loud and w/the helmet & windows I couldn't understand a word).

BTW, here's the meter
    Attached Images

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Hey Tao, how was your instructor? I don't think you've told us yet...

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.