Oh No My Clutch!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Oh No My Clutch! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Well after many clutch bleeds in the past, and some occasional dragging my clutch finally gave out…. kinda After about ...
    nmaier2201 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Oh No My Clutch!

Well after many clutch bleeds in the past, and some occasional dragging my clutch finally gave out…. kinda

After about 2hrs of stop and go traffic I felt it start to engage farther down the clutch pedal stroke…. And farther and farther… before I knew it the clutch was barely disengaging when the pedal was all the way down to the floor!.....and then it decided not to disengage at all….. stuck in 1st gear I managed to drive her 10 more miles in stop and go diving into the shoulder every time traffic stopped… and jumping across exit ramps up until my exit where I was forced to turn the key off when I ran out of tarmac…. Clutch pedal stuck permanently to the floor.

It didn’t smell like I burned the clutch up, or even like it was hot… but my fluid was brown and had floaters. Keep in mind, I flush my flailing slave cylinder about every 3 months and have for a year or so. I had to get her towed home as the car was too hot to bleed on the side of 355 and it was more than slightly dangerous laying next to my car pretty much in the off ramp…

Got her home let her cool down… and I could disengage the clutch!!! YAY… bled it once again… and she springs back into life! YAY. If you take nothing out of this long winded thread... remember this.... when in doubt bleed your clutch. But it is slipping a little bit (only a bit) and I’m thinking it’s about time to just redo the whole thing. (only 51k miles)

There are many threads about replacement clutches. I’m not going to keep the stock setup.. as long as I’m getting all new parts I’m skipping the UUC flywheel… and going right to the preferred LS7 setup. Luke has sent me a price for the parts (thanks Luke!) Luke’s LS7 parts were ~1000.00 cheaper than the local stealerships OEM replacements for the flywheel, clutch/disk, slave. DANG! (6.0L LS2 )

As long as I’m going the LS7 route I figured I’d get an even lighter flywheel for slightly more cost… the fidanza 198171!... Now when it comes to the LS7 clutch and slave I have read many threads about different clutches..

Luke has some pretty good pricing on the LS7 slave cylinder and the clutch plate/disc.. would anyone out there suggest something else/better before I pull the trigger? SPEC? EXEDY? ETC?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Re: Oh No My Clutch!

Call Hendrix....Thomas said he's hooking up a deal with Fidanza. He might be able to get you better flywheel and better price.

Is there a clutch install thread?? I'm going to be doing this "LS7" route as well when Thomas sends me the clutch/plate and flywheel

deedubb is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): E85 Powered - Maggie'd V

Have you compared to these prices? http://www.monsterclutches.com/

I'm not sure if they're comparative or not but worth a look i guess.

Kmajecki is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

What fluid are you using? Mine stuck occasionally after my kooks and uuc flywheel. Switched to Motul 600 in the slave, and my shop installed a shim behind my stock slave and it hasnt stuck since

Kmajecki is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by deedubb View Post
    Have you compared to these prices? http://www.monsterclutches.com/

I'm not sure if they're comparative or not but worth a look i guess.
    I believe whisler151 is working with these guys to come up with a setup for the V

liqidvenom is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): cts-v

my clutch is making what i assume is a throw out bearing noise... its time for me to swap mine out as well.

i dont think i've seen a clutch replacement thread or write up here so far while searching.

I've been running Motul as well for about a year.... I'm thinking that I should chuck the bottle as it was opened a couple months ago and may have moisture contamination from sitting on the shelf opened (not with the cap left off... but you know what I mean)

Yeah hoping people will chime in with

"here is what I'm running and it works great... here are the part #s"
    or
    " I tried running this clutch and had to fabricate spacers or order custom parts... don't do it "

Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    Call Hendrix....Thomas said he's hooking up a deal with Fidanza. He might be able to get you better flywheel and better price.

Is there a clutch install thread?? I'm going to be doing this "LS7" route as well when Thomas sends me the clutch/plate and flywheel
    lolly I was really hoping when I hit the search buttom that you had a thread out there for a clutch swap..... your tutorials and step by step are fantastic... but to no avail :sob:

You already have one on order with Hendrix? As in parts in the mail? or were you just talking about it? It sure would be sweet to do a group buy of some sort..... but the prices Luke has put our really are a pretty good deal on the stock LS7... what were you toying around with installing?

Quote Originally Posted by nmaier2201 View Post
    lolly I was really hoping when I hit the search buttom that you had a thread out there for a clutch swap..... your tutorials and step by step are fantastic... but to no avail :sob:
    Well thanks bro, but ya I haven't done that operation yet. I'm not looking forward to it either

Ya, I'd like part #'s and which parts we'll need, which parts work which ones don't, if throwout bearing needs to be replaced, and all that good stuff.

Well The LS7 part numbers are as follows

Flywheel #12571611
    plate & disc #24248985
    slave cylinder #24237634

The Fidanza LS7 flywheel is part #198171 (replaces #12571611 above)

That's the setup ctsv154 is running. I was cautioned that our stocker weighs like 38lbs, the stock LS7 weighs 25lbs and the Fidanza weighs 13lbs... Luke cautioned that the more you shed weight in the flywheel the more noise/vibration gets transmitted... so keep that in mind as well.

What were you batting around with Hendrix? I'm assuming you didn't buy anything yet by the way you were talking.

Quote Originally Posted by nmaier2201 View Post
    Well The LS7 part numbers are as follows

Flywheel #12571611
    plate & disc #24248985
    slave cylinder #24237634

The Fidanza LS7 flywheel is part #198171 (replaces #12571611 above)

That's the setup ctsv154 is running. I was cautioned that our stocker weighs like 38lbs, the stock LS7 weighs 25lbs and the Fidanza weighs 13lbs... Luke cautioned that the more you shed weight in the flywheel the more noise/vibration gets transmitted... so keep that in mind as well.

What were you batting around with Hendrix? I'm assuming you didn't buy anything yet by the way you were talking.
    It's a billet flywheel that Hendrix is talking about....not 13lbs, more like the 25lbs. He's giving me a clutch/p.plate to do a writeup on and he said it's of the LS7 nature (same as flywheel) <- I pay for flywheel
    I don't have parts #'s or anything yet from him, but he said the clutch is good for 800 hp. I'll call him tonight and ask about that stuff.

Does anyone have a pic of the "notch" you have to make in the bellhousing for the LS7 slave?

I heard the notch is about a 1/2" with the same depth as the current notch.... just not sure which side of the current stock "notch" you have to put it on.

I may just limp my car along until I hear how this pans out for you.... what sort of timeframe are you looking at? .... as time is a factor for me

ctsv154 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device

LS7 slave here, no notch.

MauiV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Tis Gone :(

A local guy with a 530rwhp GTO got his Bird of Prey clutch replaced by a Hendrix one after the first one failed apparently at no cost. Not sure of the outcome on that one but I have heard many guys complain about the Bird of Prey clutch.

My delaer di my LS7 install so its probably wrong and I have had vibration with it since day 1.

Hendrix-Engineering is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): escalade

Quote Originally Posted by MauiV View Post
    A local guy with a 530rwhp GTO got his Bird of Prey clutch replaced by a Hendrix one after the first one failed apparently at no cost. Not sure of the outcome on that one but I have heard many guys complain about the Bird of Prey clutch.

My delaer di my LS7 install so its probably wrong and I have had vibration with it since day 1.
    I worked for bird of prey for a very short time,they were hit or miss,i have however gave away over $12,000 of clutchs to guys that had problems but if he has a H.E.X he will be golden

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.