RPM Dyno Day, Post up your dyno charts,,,yeah even you Tom - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, RPM Dyno Day, Post up your dyno charts,,,yeah even you Tom in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by Slithering_Joe True, but 390hp would be a nice kick from 337hp ! headers will be on the ...
    SoJersey05V is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

Re: RPM Dyno Day, Post up your dyno charts,,,yeah even you Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Slithering_Joe View Post
    True, but 390hp would be a nice kick from 337hp !
    headers will be on the way very shortly!!!!!! then i start building the CAI...

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

Dude, don't waste your $$$. Headers are out of style. Everyone's saying they're for wussies.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by CTSV_510 View Post
    Tony, check this out:

Got it from here: http://kb.ls1gto.com/KB/article.aspx?id=10279

There is also a link to buy the "better" thermistor from Omega. It's $15.

I think I am going to let you tackle this first since you have all the scanning and logging equipment and software. If you do it, you'll actuallly be able to tell if it works or not. I would just be guessing.
    It's just one 10 mm bolt that holds that little flat metal piece that holds the sensor down. After you get the bolt out you can just pull on the sensor and it comes out. The rubber grommet that seals the sensor in may or may not come out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
    GET IT!!!
    Just got back from a 17 minute ride. The temps move much faster. Hottest it got was 124. As soon as I started moving, they droped to the high teens, then low teens. At a light, it was @ 124, rev'd to 2300rpm, and in 10 seconds temps went to 111. When she went back to idle temps quickly moved up to 117. The stock sensor might have moved a degree or two. Believe me I've been watching IAT temps since I put the Maggie in.
    This mod does a much better job of letting your PCM know the actual temp of the air going into the motor.
    Costs about 20 buck, and a little skill with a soldering iron.

Tom posted all the info you need. The only thing I did different was to make the thermistor a bit longer. I cut the "cage" off and made it that long.

Tony
    Okay, just so I have this straight, first I get thermistor from Lingenfelter for $12, one that I'll be taking apart and modifying the housing. Then, I get a different thermistor (the sensor itself) from the Omega link on the GTO forum for $15, then I modify the first one with the new, extended Omega thermistor by soldering it on the two pins, then I cut away the housing to fully expose the sensing tip to the incoming air, then using a 10 mm wrench pull out the OEM thermistor and install the newly revised one. Result: more accurate IAT readings fed into the PCM and fewer degrees of timing pulled during hot weather.

Is that it in a nutshell?

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    Okay, just so I have this straight, first I get thermistor from Lingenfelter for $12, one that I'll be taking apart and modifying the housing. Then, I get a different thermistor (the sensor itself) from the Omega link on the GTO forum for $15, then I modify the first one with the new, extended Omega thermistor by soldering it on the two pins, then I cut away the housing to fully expose the sensing tip to the incoming air, then using a 10 mm wrench pull out the OEM thermistor and install the newly revised one. Result: more accurate IAT readings fed into the PCM and fewer degrees of timing pulled during hot weather.

Is that it in a nutshell?
    Nope, nuh uh,,,,,but close
    You get the whole IAT sensor from LPE (the one for the Maggie). Its $19 plus shipping, but you don't need it. Just mod your stocker, I got an extra one just in case.
    The thermistor, is the tiny peice that goes inside the IAT sensor. Get that from Omega, and solder it onto your stock sensor. The only hard part, is holding that little thing while your soldering. If you have a third hand, its easy. And you have to really yank that thing out, like in Toms post.
    Even if you mess it up (you cant) I have an extra sitting in my trunk.

Tony

BTW I haven't driven my car since the test run Monday. But from what I saw, I think this will really help after the car's been sitting for a bit.
    You drive around, build up temperature, then park. The heat soaks intom the whole Maggie, and you IATs are very high. When you start driving again, the airflow brings your IATs down a bit, but they'll still be high, and unless you get on a highway and cruise (w/out boosting), the IATs will probably be 130+. With this mod, the temps should go down much quicker.

CTSV_510 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)

I did the mod last night to my second sensor housing...holy cow those thermistor leads are small! A couple roach clips...err...I mean alligator clips did the trick to hold them in place while I worked some soldering magic. I will install this one later today when I get home from the office.

I sure hope these leads are strong enough to hold the thermistor in place without that cage...

I did the mod last night to my second sensor housing...holy cow those thermistor leads are small! A couple roach clips...err...I mean alligator clips did the trick to hold them in place while I worked some soldering magic. I will install this one later today when I get home from the office.

I sure hope these leads are strong enough to hold the thermistor in place without that cage...
    Yeah, I was worried about that myself. I'm always watching my IATs, so time will tell.

Do you think removing the cage was sufficiently advantageous to warrant doing so?

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    Do you think removing the cage was sufficiently advantageous to warrant doing so?
    I think so.

In reality? It would take a lot of testing to know for sure.

With the omega thermistor, I don't think the cage would do it's job anymore, assuming that it's purpose was to keep the thermistor from going anywhere if it were to detach from the rest of the sensor housing. This one is so much smaller than the regular one that it would fit through pretty much any of the "holes" in the cage.

IMO, if there IS a chance that the new thermistor comes off, the cage wouldn't have stopped it from going anywhere anyway.

And this thing is WAY smaller that it looks in any of those pictures. I had to double check the part number I ordered to be sure it was the right one.

The only reason I cut my cage was to make the thermistor longer. Hoping to get it into the airflow for a better reading. It may be the same with the cage intact. The thermistor itself is supposed to work quicker than the stock one.

... The thermistor itself is supposed to work quicker than the stock one.
    Less thermal mass.

Update:
    Was about 84* last night and humid. IAT did not go over 130*, it used to get hotter driving around town. Sitting at a light, it went up to 124. As soon as I started moving, it dropped to 111 in about 3 seconds (only went half a block, or it would have gotten cooler). No way you would get that with a stock sensor.
    As I parked the car, temp started climbing to about 120. Shut the car down, and in a few seconds IATs were 158 and still climbing. Get back in the car, and within a block, they were down in the 120s, and got cooler as I drove.

Tony

So, is maggie heat soak real? Or, is it simply because the OEM thermistor is picking up false readings for IAT and calling for reduced timing apparently in error?

Or, is heat soak still real but just much less pronounced than the IAT readings of non-modified thermistors have previously indicated?

Its definitely real. In the winter, she gives me at least another 20hp. The worst is after its been sitting for a bit. I think that's when this mod works best. The stock sensor just stayed high.
    Keep in mind, while your in boost, the temp rises. At Summit, I was lapping at around 145 IAT.
    IMO heat soak is real, but the stock sensor makes it seem worse.

... IMO heat soak is real, but the stock sensor makes it seem worse.
    Oh, yeah, I'd think heat soak is real, just maybe no where near what everybody says.

I forgot to update this thread.

I have to recommend against cutting the whole cage off the sensor housing. I did, and when I tried installing it (which requires some force) I ended up bending the thermistor leads when the sensor didn't go straight in.

Now I have to pull it apart and see if I can save the thermistor to put it in my other sensor housing. If you leave at least the top part of the cage in, though you won't get the thermistor further into the air flow, you will protect the thermistor from contacting anything while installing it.

Maybe I'm a retard, but after I put the sensor in I had a really bad feeling about the little thermistor dangling in the manifold. I pulled it straight out and the damn thing was bent up. I know it wasn't damaged coming out because it's pretty easy to pull it straight up and out with a pair of pliers.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.