Cadillac Owners Forum banner
63K views 391 replies 69 participants last post by  nickweems 
#1 ·
Okay four broken diff's later and no factory warranty on number 3 or 4, I have to find a fix. I broke my last diff about two weeks ago along with the drive shaft and both axles (half shafts)........who wants to know what the parts bill was? I have been running the KARS III kit and it has helped minimize the hop but not eliminate it all together, Well I bought a new carrier and put the KARS kit on minus the carrier bracket (due to the instant whine) put UUC diff bushing in and I believe I cured the hop all together but not with the KARS kit or the bushing. I had custom half shafts made which was GM's fix for the 2009. I'm not sure anyone has figured this out yet. Used was a larger diameter shaft on the left side. These axles use bigger stronger 108mm cv with chromoly cage and race set. The axles are designed to twist at different rates thus reducing the stress on the rear diff and completely eliminating wheel hop. I will put this new product to the test and keep everyone updated. The half shafts are a direct bolt in and swap right in with no other mods. The same design is used by Underground Racing on there world record setting Viper and will support over 1000hp. Kit will run $1800 which is about $200 more than replacing the factory axles from Cadillac, and if we can get together a group buy of 5 sets or more I'm sure we will get a significant discount.

#246 ·
where were all these arm chair engineers during the past 5yrs the v's have been out?

every product that comes out seems to meet some odd level of resistance.
sts turbo kit
centrifugal blowers
a proper anti wheel hop solution

all seem to work across the board for other cars yet die hard on cadillacforums.com

honestly i would also make sure you hit up other forums that cts-v's go on. you are bound to find less hate on ls1tech.... also some of those guys would like in on this buy

#250 ·
where were all these arm chair engineers during the past 5yrs the v's have been out?

every product that comes out seems to meet some odd level of resistance.
sts turbo kit
centrifugal blowers
a proper anti wheel hop solution

all seem to work across the board for other cars yet die hard on cadillacforums.com

honestly i would also make sure you hit up other forums that cts-v's go on. you are bound to find less hate on ls1tech.... also some of those guys would like in on this buy
Hate? Who's hating? Nobody's hating anything. When is asking a rational, logical question considered "hate?" Who the hell are you, anyway? I've waited over four years on this forum for a fix; I've seen "solutions" come and go. And, not only am I an "arm chair engineer," I'm an actual engineer ... with an actual engineering degree (plus a business degree, but who's counting), so back off. If I want to ask questions, what's it to you?!! I've modded my car and will continue to mod my car as I see fit, and nothing you of all people could say will somehow coerce me into suddenly thinking I'm wrong or out of place in asking logical, rational questions. I'm not going to plunk down fifteen hundred clams just 'cause you've got your panties in a knot. :thepan:

My interest is sufficiently piqued that I need to ask such questions. If I was disinterested, I'd move on to another thread. Isn't that obvious, or did I need to point that out to you?

#256 ·
why would i have to back off? first off i dont remember where i singled you out when i responded. second i'm glad you are an engineer and have a business degree and like to mention that. I dont do around saying that I am a mechanical engineer for BMW who studies why vehicles breakdown to further my point in arguements. i dont say that I have engineering experience in design, production and testing. I dont pull that card around here because all that does is try to put people on different levels and i'm no better then anyone else here.

also lastly if you were such an engineer the first thing you would have realized is that the vast majority of people anywhere arent able to understand 2/3rds of the things we do when it comes to physical properties. All you post did was try to make it seem like you are trying to challenge a retailer in an intellectual debate. maybe sending this question to the manufacture would have been wiser.

is all of this because you have bought the KarsIII and you are resisting a different method to skin this cat?

and once again i didnt single you out so i have no idea why you act like i did.

#248 ·
Through additional research I have learned that the 2009 V2 solution uses a 55mm (2-1/6 inch) hollow shaft on the driver's side and a 35mm (1 3/8 inch) solid shaft on the passengers side to create the assymetrical arrangement needed to decouple the wind up and release forces. Since this information was in a magazine article it must not be a deep dark secret.

#249 ·
I think he was talking about DSS's axles. The actually metallurgy and processes they use to make their axles is a trade secret.

#251 ·
Well the 300M is the metallurgy, which I have also learned is a modified form the steel I once knew as 4340. Actually, once I deciphered it, Dynojetman's first description contained more information that I thought. But finding that out has required several other sources.

#255 ·
Call GM if you want to know why it works, they did the same thing in 09. Here is my take, two evenly sized axles with equal torque create some harmonic pulse that creates the hop. By making one side "weaker" the axles can not torque at the same rate and therefore no pulse to create the hop. I may not have the proper terms, but that is how I understand it to work. THere was a vid online with a GM engineer explaining this with regards to the 09 rear end. My GTO source told me the same thing, in better words several months back.

#259 ·
this is entertaining :)

#262 ·
damn that BLOWS! you might wanna think about a C63 now ;) at least benz isnt going bankrupt and actually making quality cars :/ what sucks more? they fact that you still have to fix it, its worth nothing w/ a broken diff :( i tried lol

#263 ·
So you broke a diff with these new axles?? was it hopping when it grenaded? What Rpm did you launch at??

#267 · (Edited)
I am just the vendor here doing my very best to take care of all of you. I have tried to show pics and vids to show they work.. But everyone needs to understand I don't build them. I can't answer every question. I am doing my best here.. If anyone has serious technical questions that I cannot answer please call DSS directly. As I said, I am not turning away from technical questions but people are asking things I cannot answer because I honestly don't know. I don't mean to offend anyone or act like I don't care. I have done my best here to present what I Know and hopefully everyone can see that. I offered to let anyone drive my car and offered to take vids / pics of anything people asked.. But that is about the best I can do and I am sure you all understand that. Anyone with further technical questions other that has been already discussed should call DSS direct.. I have done the best I can.. I am not going to say things I don't know or pretend I know. If I don't know something I admit it instead of guess and make myself look bad. I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO HIDE.. I am not trying to hide anything from anyone and I am not here to pull a fast one on anyone. I just refuse to lie or pretend to know something I Don't.. All I know is they fix wheel hop. At least they did on my car as you can see from vids and pics.. Which is why I am here explaining it to all of you and offering you all a nice discount to purchase your own set if you want them.

#270 ·
dynojetman. I appreciate the work, openness, willingness to help, and the ability to take a slight beating here with no upside for yourself personally. I do understand everyone wanting to know the physics behind these, I also am curious, but I understand that you have posted up as much as you know. DSS should be the ones to go after if we want to know every detail up to their trade secrets.

If I was closer to you I'd go and take a spin in your car.... thanks for the offer, but I'll have to pass. I do hope someone takes you up on it though. Your videos seem to present some pretty compelling evidence, so I thank you for the effort and your steps to get us to this point.

I hope randy and darkman get their questions answered, I hope to see a couple more installed to see the results. Thanks again

EDIT: yeah +1 on the holy long post (not that it was bad reading or anything atdeneve :) ). I shoud have grabbed a beer while I read that... I could have finished it before I was done reading :)

#272 ·
did this thread die or what??

#279 ·
It's been far too long since something interesting happened in the modding community around here, so I'm looking forward to whatever happens- be it carnage, burnouts or whatever. :lol:
I could not agree more. I hope this deal works out for everybody. But if it works out "perfectly" business should still pick up for purveyors of drag radials, clutches, and such.

#280 ·
i personally enjoy the entertainment of carnage, but i would enjoy clutch dumps much more lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.