Testing new fix for wheelhop: Custom Axles - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Testing new fix for wheelhop: Custom Axles in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; the internet! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippin...ing_the_clutch...
    CadiBlk is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Silver '05 V

Re: Testing new fix for wheelhop: Custom Axles

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

....this is me waiting for videos

Ooooo.....and I'd LOVE a one piece driveshaft from those guys! Wonder how much it would cost??

mpunklil is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Raven Black 2004 CTS-V. Broken Diff!

Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    ....this is me waiting for videos

Ooooo.....and I'd LOVE a one piece driveshaft from those guys! Wonder how much it would cost??
    I emailed them on the axles. They claim you need to reuse your outer CV?

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

ummm.... If I don't slip the clutch, how else do you guys recommend getting the car moving?

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    ummm.... If I don't slip the clutch, how else do you guys recommend getting the car moving?
    Push it, Flatbed, Ramps..... or make absolutely perfect shifts everytime

It seems that everyone wants to rape us of money...we have a 99% fix claim. Read the email from the owner of www.driveshaftshop.com

"Matt
    they are about 1700.00 for the pair, i'm the owner of the comapany. i sold my CTS-V and had the gentelman who bought the car recently try them. here is the email i recieved from him. here is his emial if you want to ask him about it

**deleted by moderator**

put in the axles. Everything fit and went together really well. They are the right size, fitment, nothing clanks or bangs or gets in the way. I have NEVER been able to do a burn out or launch at the race track in my car because it just hops like a bitch every time I give it gas. I put them in the car, drove on them for about 15 minutes to make sure everything worked well and no weird noises.. Then I came to a stop, turned off traction control and dumped the clutch at 3000 rpm.

I went through 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear boiling the tires. Spinning from side to side. I couldn't believe it. Your axles seem to do the trick. There is 1 little quick hop right at the beginning that I noticed but then it goes away and the tires just spin after that. I would say it is a 99% improvement to wheel hop on these cars over stock. I only drove it a little while but I will be going to the race track on sunday and really test it out for you. I will have cameras on inside and outside of the car and plenty of video/pics for you on monday. That will be the real test on how they react. Last year I couldn't do anything at the track because of how bad it hopped.. so this time will be the ultimate test for sure, but so far there is a HUGE improvement. As I said, I will do the real test and tune on sunday for you and keep you updated. Thanks for your patience.

nathan

If your question is complicated please call the office,we have a limited amount of time for emails. Please understand we receive about 60 emails a day,please attach all old emails so we can follow what is being discussed.

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/
    The Drive Shaft Shop
    1531 South Main Street
    Salisbury, NC 28144
    9-5:00 Eastern standard time
    1-704-633-2380 phone
    1-704-633-2385 fax
    1-800-564-2244 orders

Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 15:50:12 -0700
    Subject: Re: CV Axle
    To: driveshaftshop@hotmail.com

Wow, ok. How much are they? Can I get some sort of specs on them as to what makes them different? What kind of material did you use? Do you have a video showing tests? I highly suggest advertising your product on Cadillacforums.com. There is a specific CTS-V catagory and we are dying for positive results in wheel hop to prevent differential failure. Sorry for the 20 questions
    Thanks,
    Matt

To: mpunklil@yahoo.com
    Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 8:10:36 AM
    Subject: RE: CV Axle

Hi
    the part your asking for has been discontinued, we do still have them but we have developed a new axle system that has different axle bar diameters. this system lets on axle wrap up more than the other letting the tires spin greatly reducing the wheel hop these cars are plagued with. the site has not been updated but these are available

If your question is complicated please call the office,we have a limited amount of time for emails. Please understand we receive about 60 emails a day,please attach all old emails so we can follow what is being discussed.

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/
    The Drive Shaft Shop
    1531 South Main Street
    Salisbury, NC 28144
    9-5:00 Eastern standard time
    1-704-633-2380 phone
    1-704-633-2385 fax
    1-800-564-2244 orders

Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 07:11:27 -0600
    To: support@driveshaftshop.com
    Subject: CV Axle
    To: support@driveshaftshop.com

Subject:CV Axle
    Realname:Matt Pierce
    Email:mpunklil@yahoo.com
    Year/Make and Model of Vehicle:2004 CTS-V
    Drive Train (what Motor and Trans):LS6, T56
    Message:For the level 2 axle\\\'s you offer for the cts-v, your website claims that the outer cv will need to be reused. How do I accomplish this? Do I send you my current axles and then you make some up? Or do you have them already and simply add on a core charge? Do you know if they happen to help the wheel hop issue or are simply a stronger axle? Thanks!

liqidvenom is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): cts-v

if they can provide us with a fix, then i would be happy to pay for it.

do you think the guy who bought his old v and installed these would be willing to come here and talk about his experience?

Quote Originally Posted by liqidvenom View Post
    if they can provide us with a fix, then i would be happy to pay for it.

do you think the guy who bought his old v and installed these would be willing to come here and talk about his experience?
    shoot him an email and see if he would

liqidvenom is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): cts-v

well i could email him using the email i got of this post but since it was removed there must be a reason and im not going to go against it.

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

Sorry, but I deleted his email since he never gave permission for it to be posted publicly and picked up by spam bots. I'd recommend taking yours down as well, mpunklil, or else you'll be getting 30 penis pill emails a day before you know it .

Since you've got the email addy yourself, why don't you see if he'd be willing to come on here and discuss it?
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

Quote Originally Posted by The Tony Show View Post
    Sorry, but I deleted his email since he never gave permission for it to be posted publicly and picked up by spam bots. I'd recommend taking yours down as well, mpunklil, or else you'll be getting 30 penis pill emails a day before you know it .

Since you've got the email addy yourself, why don't you see if he'd be willing to come on here and discuss it?
    my bad, i had no clue you couldnt do that besides, i enjoy all the penis pill emails i will shoot him an email

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

No harm done- I would be mad if someone I had done business with was passing out my email address to other people, so I figured we'd keep it private unless the person it belongs to says it's okay.
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

i emailed him, unpatiently awaiting a response

dynojetman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS V

I received a couple emails from you guys tonight so I felt obligated to come on here and explain my situation so you can all have as much fun with your V as I have lately Where do I start...

I finally bit the bullet and purchased my dream car ( cts V ) and boy was I happy.. I soon found out that I love the car in every single way.. Except 1.. The wheel hop.. It was insane.. The thud and bouncing from the rear end made me cringe. I couldn't even do a burn out without the thud and shaking of my whole car. This is the first independant rear car I ever owned.. I am used to my old first gen camaros, etc.. Even my twin turbo 540 camaro doesn't wheel hop so this was a whole new thing to me. Never had to deal with it before.

I decided to throw it on my dyno just to see where it stood and it put down 380 WHP.. Pretty pathetic if you ask me for a supercharged LS6.. So of course I tuned it, new intake system, exhaust, headers, high flow cats, etc and bumped the power to a respectable 475 WHP @ 5lbs with a completely stock LS6.. However, once my car made 475 WHP the wheel hop was twice as bad as before, almost to the point of not being able to ever full throttle it. Even when on the roll it would shake and hop. I became very frustrated because I also own a 565 WHP LS7 Camaro and I never had to deal with this before and I was ready to sell the car I was so upset and stick with my solid rear cars.

I called my buddy at GM and he told me about the GM Wheel hop fix.. So I purchased the bushings from him and put them in the car.. I seen absolutely no improvement on wheel hop but a nice improvement with handling.. So I was at least happy about that. So my search continued.. I then went with BMR and threw on the pinion support brace which made the notorious thud go away when you shift and put in the clutch, so I was happy about that. I then put on the BMR wheel hop kit and seen ZERO improvement so I took it off and sold it on ebay. Still on the search for a fix..

I went to the local track and everyone pretty much laughed because the V8 supercharged manual cadillac couldn't even do a burn out.. every time I would try you could just hear it .. Literally impossible to do a burn out ( see attached vid )

So I finally got a hold of DSS and I told him about the car and what I Have done and how unhappy I am with it.. We then decided to use my car as the first test car for these experimental race axles.. I just needed to do a full write up and explain how it went. There was no guarantee they would work but I just didn't care.. I wanted to keep trying to find a cure So I purchased them and had him ship them out. I was out of ideas.. I have done everything I could think of up to this point.

Long story short.. Installation was cake..My lift and shop was full at the time with cars so I did them in my driveway in about a hour with just basic tools because I was heading out to the race track the following day and wanted to give it a try.. Once I had them swapped out I took it for a 5 minute drive on the freeway and through dips and bumps to make sure nothing rubbed and to verify there were no weird noises. Everything checked out so I came to a stop and dumped the clutch and boiled the tires through first, second and 3rd from side to side.. Zero wheel hop. I couldn't believe it, I was literally dumbfounded.. 99% cure, one quick tiny little hop when I let the clutch out but that is it.. I don't even notice it anymore because it happens so quick and the car just spins so quickly, I noticed it at first but now it seems like a complete fix to me..

I have had them in the car for about 3 months now and raced the hell out of it at the track and road courses and haven't had one ounce of a problem with them. I couldn't be happier and it is by far the best 2 grand you could ever spend on these cars, hands down. I was about |---| this close to selling it and sticking with my other cars.. I am SO GLAD I stuck it out and found a fix. The car couldn't make me happier now.. It is finally a car with the complete all around package. something I can drive to the race track and back home without having to worry about breaking anything..

If anyone has any more questions for me please don't hesitate to ask. Would be happy to help. GM should of fixed this before they ever released the car but oh well.. At least there is finally a true fix for it.

Nathan Poulsen

also, if any of you are near utah or want to head out this way before you buy them I would be happy to give you a ride in my car and let you drive it. Just let me know.

tires will spin as long as you want them too without hopping or the car making any weird noises.. just feels like your on a sheet of ice..

Racing my friend in his 400 WHP Nissan.. You can HEAR the wheel hop in this vid.. It's horrible. This is the best I could do a burn out with my stock axles.
    Pretty bad a front wheel drive car can beat me out of the hole. You can hear me hopping through second gear if you listen closely.

racing my friend in the same Nissan a week later.. except this time with my new axles.. Night and day difference.

my car is all over the place with the wheel hop fixed.. I can go side to side without any hopping as you can see in this vid..

burn out video..

Being able to launch without hopping.. Amazing feeling.

Finally beat my friend in his bad ass GTO after I fixed my wheel hop. My car finally starts pulling hard in 3rd gear when it stops spinning.

dynojetman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS V

sorry i posted 2 of the same vids and I deleted my burn out one on accident.. it's late.. im going to bed before I delete something else I shouldn't .. lol.

here is the burn out vid.

another burn out vid

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.