Testing new fix for wheelhop: Custom Axles - Page 23
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Testing new fix for wheelhop: Custom Axles in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by CTSV_510 Make it so you don't have a choice. "Wifey, you wouldn't f-n believe what I just ...
    lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Re: Testing new fix for wheelhop: Custom Axles

Quote Originally Posted by CTSV_510 View Post
    Make it so you don't have a choice.

"Wifey, you wouldn't f-n believe what I just found. Some goddam kids thought it would be funny to go under my V and cut BOTH rear axles in half! What is wrong with the youth of this country?! It's probably gonna cost us $2000 to fix this! "

"Good news honey, I found out it's only going to be $1530 + labor to fix the axles on the V."

done deal.
    I like your style

Quote Originally Posted by liqidvenom View Post
    i cant stop staring at your avatar.... ultrafantastic
    Ahh yes, you have good taste my friend

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

So how hard is it to swap the axles one's self? I haven't performed auto repair of that magnitude since I (helped) change the clutch on my 92 Saturn. That was pretty easy, but my uncle was as good a mechanic as I have ever seen, and now God Rest his soul. So I am on my own for this one.

No, I think I will pay the stealer, I mean dealer (lolz at Tony) One of these days I am gonna stop by Motorwerks and talk to my guy there and see what they think about it. I figure if they install them, that would quell any warranty concerns.

dynojetman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS V

if you can switch a clutch this is 10x easier.. 1 hour tops doing it in your driveway with hand tools. just unbolt everything out of the way, slide out axle and slide in new one.. there is nothing tricky or confusing about it. just out with the old and in with the new.

mpunklil is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Raven Black 2004 CTS-V. Broken Diff!

dont forget your torque wrench!

Quote Originally Posted by dynojetman View Post
    if you can switch a clutch this is 10x easier.. 1 hour tops doing it in your driveway with hand tools. just unbolt everything out of the way, slide out axle and slide in new one.. there is nothing tricky or confusing about it. just out with the old and in with the new.
    LOL an hour for the whole sheboygan!??! I'm going to hire you to work on my car then. You are the fastest mechanic on the planet!
    Not trying to be a dick, but let's not be misleading here.

I would say it takes me at least 20 minutes just to get the wheels off and put in the air on jackstands. I say this job will take about 3 hours (1.5 hours a side) if you take your time and torque everything correctly.

Follow up to the part about taking out the diff......
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...f-install.html

Maybe Ewill can chime in and tell us how much they charge for installing new axles, or what the service manual calls for as far as hours it takes.

ctsv154 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device

Axles will be a snap. You don't need a torque wrench. Take the axle nut off with an impact and put it back on the same way. They have locks so they wont be going anywhere.

The only thing I have ever used a torque wrench in this car for was the engine. The rest is pie. You take the wheel off. Bust the axle nut loose. Pull the upper a arm and pull the axle out. Thats about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ctsv154 View Post
    Axles will be a snap. You don't need a torque wrench. Take the axle nut off with an impact and put it back on the same way. They have locks so they wont be going anywhere.

The only thing I have ever used a torque wrench in this car for was the engine. The rest is pie. You take the wheel off. Bust the axle nut loose. Pull the upper a arm and pull the axle out. Thats about it.
    Me no have impact wrench or a compressor. Me caveman and use muscles

I agree though, I've only ever used a torque wrench on my header bolts.

Plus, when I work on my car beer is a must so I account for that. Oh and listening to ha

ctsv154 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device

You can pull the axle nut without an impact as well. Just have somebody stand on the brakes and use a breaker bar and a cheater pipe if needed. I have air tools but like doing things by hand. Unless its something like the axle nuts. If you have air its much easier because its a 1 person 1 minute job. Without, its still easy but I dont really have anybody to help me work on stuff so I do everything alone. Even when I put my engine and maggie in.

FWIW

I have never torqued header bolts. I use my wrench and my calibrated arm and snug them down. Have yet to have a leak. I do torque internal engine components though. Also, flywheel and pressure plate bolts. A torque wrench has never touched anything else on my car. Call me foolish. I dont care. Its my ride and I have to drive it. I have never had a failure of any kind because of the way I assembled my car and I have wrenched on many many cars.

If you think you need to torque something, by all means dont let me keep you from it. Its just some people get a little crazy and think every single bolt has to be torqued to a specific spec. Common sense goes a long way when working on a vehicle.

mpunklil is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Raven Black 2004 CTS-V. Broken Diff!

You can pull the axle nut without an impact as well. Just have somebody stand on the brakes and use a breaker bar and a cheater pipe if needed. I have air tools but like doing things by hand. Unless its something like the axle nuts. If you have air its much easier because its a 1 person 1 minute job. Without, its still easy but I dont really have anybody to help me work on stuff so I do everything alone. Even when I put my engine and maggie in.

FWIW

I have never torqued header bolts. I use my wrench and my calibrated arm and snug them down. Have yet to have a leak. I do torque internal engine components though. Also, flywheel and pressure plate bolts. A torque wrench has never touched anything else on my car. Call me foolish. I dont care. Its my ride and I have to drive it. I have never had a failure of any kind because of the way I assembled my car and I have wrenched on many many cars.

If you think you need to torque something, by all means dont let me keep you from it. Its just some people get a little crazy and think every single bolt has to be torqued to a specific spec. Common sense goes a long way when working on a vehicle.
    It may sound nuts, but at my job (Nuclear Boiler & Condesor Mechanic) I have to be qualified to use a torque wrench. Im required to go to 8 hrs of in class training, 8 hrs of on the job training, and then I have to take an actual hands on test JUST to use a torque wrench, regardless of how many years you have been using one. There is a good reason for that though. We used a torque analyzer between 10 different people, and had to torque 100 ft lbs by arm (no torque wrench). Not one person was even close to the 100 ft lbs whether it was over or under that criteria. I used to feel the same way about working on my cars, why would I need a torque wrench? Simply for the peace of mind, that every bolt that I took out is back to it's proper specification that it is inteded to work at. Some are intended to stretch a bit, and some are intended to allow play. If you swapped out your diff bushing for a UUC, didnt use a torque wrench, and still had the clunk...how positive are you that the bolt was tight enough keeping it from clunking? When I hand torqued it, it was no where NEAR the 130 ft lbs needed. The rear lower shock mount is 111 ft lbs, who would have thought that much? Most of us would just tighten it up, which might be 50 ft lbs by hand depending on the tool you use. When nuts/bolts are torqued it reduces wear on bushings, therefore reducing the chances of squeeks, creaks, and failures. Basically, use one if you can. Pride of ownership and being a good mechanic reflect it.

Hendrix-Engineering is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): escalade

Quote Originally Posted by mpunklil View Post
    It may sound nuts, but at my job (Nuclear Boiler & Condesor Mechanic) I have to be qualified to use a torque wrench. Im required to go to 8 hrs of in class training, 8 hrs of on the job training, and then I have to take an actual hands on test JUST to use a torque wrench, regardless of how many years you have been using one. There is a good reason for that though. We used a torque analyzer between 10 different people, and had to torque 100 ft lbs by arm (no torque wrench). Not one person was even close to the 100 ft lbs whether it was over or under that criteria. I used to feel the same way about working on my cars, why would I need a torque wrench? Simply for the peace of mind, that every bolt that I took out is back to it's proper specification that it is inteded to work at. Some are intended to stretch a bit, and some are intended to allow play. If you swapped out your diff bushing for a UUC, didnt use a torque wrench, and still had the clunk...how positive are you that the bolt was tight enough keeping it from clunking? When I hand torqued it, it was no where NEAR the 130 ft lbs needed. The rear lower shock mount is 111 ft lbs, who would have thought that much? Most of us would just tighten it up, which might be 50 ft lbs by hand depending on the tool you use. When nuts/bolts are torqued it reduces wear on bushings, therefore reducing the chances of squeeks, creaks, and failures. Basically, use one if you can. Pride of ownership and being a good mechanic reflect it.
    I would agree,i also would allow 2 hrs for install and dont be upset if it takes a lil longer

You can pull the axle nut without an impact as well. Just have somebody stand on the brakes and use a breaker bar and a cheater pipe if needed. I have air tools but like doing things by hand. Unless its something like the axle nuts.
    There's an easy way to do it if you don't have a helper.....read my writeup.

I agree, I would never use airtools (if I had em) on an axle nut.

Also: I think I remember Ewill telling me you are supposed to replace the axle nut when you remove it.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dynojetman View Post
    nothing to align? just in and out? (sounds like something else)

I have an impact wrench, but I am always weary of using it. I only use it to remove lugnuts (always put them back on by hand)

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    nothing to align? just in and out? (sounds like something else)

I have an impact wrench, but I am always weary of using it. I only use it to remove lugnuts (always put them back on by hand)
    Nothing to align is right. Just hold the rotor with your knee and pull the opposite way on the axle shaft....pop goes the weasel.

The only thing you have to be careful with is reinstalling the new axle. Make sure you are straight on and don't disturb the axle seal on the diff. Stealerships use a special plastic shield, but I never used it when I did mine.

dynojetman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS V

me and my friend did it in a hour and a half while talking and bullshitting most of the time.. Not even trying to hurry or anything.. But I know I could do it quicker if I was to do it again. Once I figured out one side the other side went way faster. It's honestly not that hard and doesn't take that much time with 2 people busting it out.. I thought it was going to be a nightmare when I started.. I planned for like 4 hours.. I couldn't believe how fast it went.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    ... just in and out? ...

Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    ... use a special plastic shield ...

I'm more than half way there in my "axles savings account" and continuing to find a few bucks here and there. Glad this is something I can do myself, 'cause there'll be no funds for the install.

Thanks to lolly, ewill, 154, and others for blazing the trail for us followers.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.