Cadillac Owners Forum banner
63K views 391 replies 69 participants last post by  nickweems 
#1 ·
Okay four broken diff's later and no factory warranty on number 3 or 4, I have to find a fix. I broke my last diff about two weeks ago along with the drive shaft and both axles (half shafts)........who wants to know what the parts bill was? I have been running the KARS III kit and it has helped minimize the hop but not eliminate it all together, Well I bought a new carrier and put the KARS kit on minus the carrier bracket (due to the instant whine) put UUC diff bushing in and I believe I cured the hop all together but not with the KARS kit or the bushing. I had custom half shafts made which was GM's fix for the 2009. I'm not sure anyone has figured this out yet. Used was a larger diameter shaft on the left side. These axles use bigger stronger 108mm cv with chromoly cage and race set. The axles are designed to twist at different rates thus reducing the stress on the rear diff and completely eliminating wheel hop. I will put this new product to the test and keep everyone updated. The half shafts are a direct bolt in and swap right in with no other mods. The same design is used by Underground Racing on there world record setting Viper and will support over 1000hp. Kit will run $1800 which is about $200 more than replacing the factory axles from Cadillac, and if we can get together a group buy of 5 sets or more I'm sure we will get a significant discount.

#3 ·
Re: Wheelhop Eliminated!!!

Do you have to change both halfshafts, or can you just use one bigger halfshaft?

#4 ·

Isn't that what Cadillac did in 06 to fix the problem? All the broken diffs were 04-05 Vs. The 06-07 Vs are not breaking because of the changes made to the diff and the shafts. The reason the 06-07 diffs are breaking in the 04-05 Vs is due to the weak half shafts.

Or so I have been lead to believe.

#7 ·

Slightly misleading thread title much? I hope your idea works, and kudos for trying it, but it's a little premature to call it "eliminated!" before you've even tested it.
No kidding. It first has to tested to see it actually stops the wheel hop. It also has to be tested to see if stopping the wheel hop simply transfers the energy to the case causing to grenade like the pre-2006 models did. Finally, it seems unlikely it will fix the problem with the differentials becoming noisey overtime which occurs in the total absence of wheel hop.

#12 ·
This fix has been discussed before but no one actually wen through with it until now. Kudos to you!

:food-snacking:

#13 ·
be sure to post a video of a roll and a clutch dump once you are confident in doing so

#15 ·
I am subscribing to this thread!

#16 ·
Yeah, we've talked about putting a bigger halfshaft on one side and an even bigger one in the other side to see if this would work. Doing just one side is certainly preferable.

And I second RangerRob's request for a video. You'd have several sold in a minute with a vid!

#19 ·
Kit will run $1800 which is about $200 more than replacing the factory axles from Cadillac,
You obviously didnt get your previous axles from Luke.... Going from memory here but I know his price for both was less then the dealer here (Canada) wanted for 1 axle.... memory says about $900us for both. BUT, with proof $1800 might be worth it.

#25 ·
:postpics:

:pop2: waiting for videos too

#29 ·
I know that I am going to regret asking this question, but I feel compelled to do so nonetheless.

If the different size half shafts work couldn't you achieve the same result by adding weight to one half shaft in much the same fashsion that weights are added to driveshafts to balance them (except the weights, would necessarily be concentric).

#30 ·
I dont think the point is to have one axle that weighs more than the other. Its to have one with a different torsional strength than the other that way one winds up different than the other. That keeps the harmonics to a minimum and keeps from transferring all of that oscillation.

#32 ·
Yeah I've been spicing things up a bit. Changed the sig, changed the avatar. Even changed the welcome message on my V to, "I WOULD HANG ON" lol

#34 ·
Wait, cadillac has a new half shaft/s for the 04-07 V's as of this year? I know they came out w/ a new diff version this year (which is sittin on my garage floor waitin for the bushing tool)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.