Testing new fix for wheelhop: Custom Axles - Page 15
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Testing new fix for wheelhop: Custom Axles in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by zie Well I don't want to drop 1500 I don't really have on something that wont fix ...
    Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

Re: Testing new fix for wheelhop: Custom Axles

Quote Originally Posted by zie View Post
    Well I don't want to drop 1500 I don't really have on something that wont fix the wheel hop.
    Lawlz. Then sit back and wait to see if the people who are willing to pony up are satisfied buyers.

Some folks stand in line to be the first to own the iPhone, while others wait to see what bugs will be worked out of the first run. You're the latter.

eta: which isn't a bad thing.
    The above post is my 2 cents....nothing more.

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

I wouldn't either. Buying stuff on the Internet (especially performance parts) is caveat emptor. Once someone (DoctorNick?) checks it out in person, then we'll know for sure.
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

tweeter81 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by The Tony Show View Post
    I wouldn't either. Buying stuff on the Internet (especially performance parts) is caveat emptor. Once someone (DoctorNick?) checks it out in person, then we'll know for sure.
    "Buyer beware" - Keep in mind, I am definitely not bashing this product, I really want this whole thing to be our (community's) magic fix.

I agree with this assessment. I feel like I got really hosed on the 561 Wheelhop Kit that I have to be a bit wary of things like that in the future.

Also, I think DoctorNick probably will be able to get there and test these before I will be able to manage it. Let's hope for the best, no matter who goes.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Correction: n2ojunky was never a vendor. A member (not a vendor) who was teasing information but providing no details left the building when someone else stepped up to the plate with some hard facts, pricing, pics and videos.

Starting this thread and mentioning prices in the very first post without being a vendor would have normally been grounds for deletion, but I let it ride because a real wheelhop fix would be such a boon to the community. 10 days later we still didn't even have a picture of the axles, so mpunklil took the initiative to email the manufacturer of the axles and get dynojetman's email, then contacted him to get the scoop. dynojet came in here like a professional, ponied up for proper vendor status, posted pics, vids and prices- all within 24 hours. If n2o hadn't dragged his feet for nearly 2 weeks, he'd be the one arranging the GB right now- that's his doing, not mine.

I suppose I could almost see your point if we were talking about a difference of hundreds of dollars between the two, but an extra 20 or 30 bucks? I can't honestly believe that there's any grief over this, but whatever. After 4 years of no good 1/4 mile times, I'm just looking forward to seeing some real drag launches.
    Yeah, I'm done with that issue. I am now just trying to verify that the current 1-1/2 inch diameter axles are larger than the DSS axles with diameters that are 1 1/8" and 1 3/8" repectively.

liqidvenom is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): cts-v

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    I only have two issues.

The first one is simply that we had two potential vendors bidding down the price, when lighting struck from above and one vendor was effectively told to step aside. That struck me as being right out of the Dick Cheney school of business where monopolies, oligopolies, and no-bid contracts are acceptable substitutes for an otherwise free market. That issue has been resolved since one of the vendors has left the building.

The only other issue is whether these axles are in fact stronger than stock. That issue is pending more information.

And yes, if these axles are stronger than stock (2007 version, which I already have installed on my 2005) I intend to buy them.
    the first thing has been talked about so far.

and had the setup you have provided hop less results like his? if so please post vids so i can follow your setup.

zie
    zie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
    Lawlz. Then sit back and wait to see if the people who are willing to pony up are satisfied buyers.

Some folks stand in line to be the first to own the iPhone, while others wait to see what bugs will be worked out of the first run. You're the latter.

eta: which isn't a bad thing.
    Yeah, I want to be on the list to get them... but I am going to wait till DoctorNick checks everything out first and lets us know....
    Maybe I SHOULD wait for the 2nd batch... hmmmm lol

Quote Originally Posted by liqidvenom View Post
    the first thing has been talked about so far.

and had the setup you have provided hop less results like his? if so please post vids so i can follow your setup.
    I'm not sure I understand your question. My set up is nothing more than a 2005 V with a set of 2007 CTS-V/GM axles (1 1/2" diameter) that are larger than the the original 2005 axles (1 1/4" diameter). Since I do not do hard launches I have never had it "wheel hop" but I assume that it would wheel hop like a stock 2007 (i.e like a bunny) if I did a hard launch.

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

You've never hopped your V?! I admit to not being the roughest driver in the world, but I got caught up in a "spirited contest" a few times and had it bounce my teeth out on the 1-2 shift.
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

You've never hopped your V?! I admit to not being the roughest driver in the world, but I got caught up in a "spirited contest" a few times and had it bounce my teeth out on the 1-2 shift.
    Nope, I never had a problem with hop at the 1-2 shift or in 1st gear for that matter. I do not go WOT in 1st until the clutch is fully engaged and the car is rolling. I also don't do WOT in 1st on wet, pot holed, or bad pavement. (As a motorcyle rider I can report that the traction at most city signaled intersections is non-existent due to the oil/coolant/AC drainage left by cars.)

CadiBlk is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Silver '05 V

I have never experienced hop either, so all this talk got me curious. Tonight on my way home from softball I pulled off on a side road and put some rubber down. I was able to spin for as long as I wanted with no hop. I know fresh blacktop isn't as sticky as VHT treated drag strip, but my car will never be on a drag strip. I am running KDWs so I don't know if that factors in, but I think I am good for now.

I still like to see this axle stuff happening as I enjoy having options.

jweymar is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Eforce LS3 V

I will give 10 for the tickets, but it seems to be a good fix from the videos.

UnsafeAtAnySpd is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V, '07 SRT8 Jeep, '86 Fiero

Denver is only about 100 miles from me. Tickets from there to Salt Lake are about $100. I don't have a video camera or anything though.

dynojetman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS V

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    I only have two issues.

The only other issue is whether these axles are in fact stronger than stock. That issue is pending more information.

And yes, if these axles are stronger than stock (2007 version, which I already have installed on my 2005) I intend to buy them.
    These axles are rated for 800 WHP.. They are DEFINITELY stronger than stock, These are warrantied for a year, let's not forget that... I am not sure on the diameter difference ( i can go measure if you want ) but just because something is bigger or smaller doesn't make it better or worse or stronger or weaker.. It's all about what materials it is made out of. I don't think the axle size should have anything to do with your decision. If this is a big deal let me know and I will head out and measure. If you buy a pair of stock 07 axles and race the shit out of them and break them, will GM warranty them and fix them for free? Of course not.

Tickets from there to Salt Lake are about $100. I don't have a video camera or anything though

If it is $100.00 I will cover the whole cost for you as I promised in my earlier post.. I am sure we can find some cameras to use..

Well I don't want to drop 1500 I don't really have on something that wont fix the wheel hop

What more can I do to show you guys they work? I mean seriously.. I gave you plenty of vids & a burnout picture that makes most V owners jaws hit the floor.. I asked you if you wanted more vids tell me what you want vids of and I will record it.. Guys... I am not making this video up, it clearly shows what these axles are all about.. This is my car, burning the hell out of the tires without hopping.. What more can I possibly do here? I have offered to pay for a ticket for a 3rd party opinion and answered everything you have asked.. I know your skeptical but let's be realistic.. What more will it take to convince you all they work?

rangerrob is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 Black Diamond CTS-V

as the usual quote is "when pigs fly" after seeing videos of a silver pig flying [down the track] and no turbulence during take off, i'm a believer! I'm in on the first batch

Quote Originally Posted by dynojetman View Post
    These axles are rated for 800 WHP.. They are DEFINITELY stronger than stock, These are warrantied for a year, let's not forget that... I am not sure on the diameter difference ( i can go measure if you want ) but just because something is bigger or smaller doesn't make it better or worse or stronger or weaker.. It's all about what materials it is made out of. I don't think the axle size should have anything to do with your decision. If this is a big deal let me know and I will head out and measure. If you buy a pair of stock 07 axles and race the shit out of them and break them, will GM warranty them and fix them for free? Of course not.
    My current axles are under a warranty that continues another 56k miles or 5 years which ever comes first. Your warranty, according to the DSS website, is for one year.

I understand that it is theoretically possible for a smaller shaft to have a higher horesepower rating based on metallurgy, but the DSS website does not claim any improved metallugy. Thus, the known facts are:

1. The first generation GM axles (2004-2005) model years were 1 1-1/4 inches even though the GM engineers had recommended larger ones.

2. The second generation GM axles (2006-2007) were 1-1/2 inches in diameter reportedly to make them stonger.

3. The third generation GM axles are larger in diameter than GM Generation II axles and have thicker walls. I do not have the exact dimensions but the magazine articles on the 2009 CTS-V confirm the "larger diameter/thicker wall" specs.

4. Now comes the DSS axles - one of which is smaller than a Generation I GM axle accompanied with another axle that is smaller than either the Generation II or Generation III GM axles.

It looks like on paper that the DSS axles: (a) have stronger CV joints; (b) have torsional differences that cure wheel hop; but (b) are actually weaker than stock. I am hoping this is wrong.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.