Testing new fix for wheelhop: Custom Axles - Page 12
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Testing new fix for wheelhop: Custom Axles in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by atdeneve Just let me know when we can start getting these ordered... I will make a new ...
    dynojetman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS V

Re: Testing new fix for wheelhop: Custom Axles

Quote Originally Posted by atdeneve View Post
    Just let me know when we can start getting these ordered...
    I will make a new thread today for a sign up list..

CTSV_510 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)

Wow I haven't been paying attention to this thread since n20 didn't post a video and everyone had just been complaining.

Sweet! I wish I had some money right now...maybe I'll get in on a future buy. Nice work guys.

nmaier2201 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by CTSV_510 View Post
    Wow I haven't been paying attention to this thread since n20 didn't post a video and everyone had just been complaining.
    Ditto... sure made my Thursday a happy one. I'm also down for the group buy in the future. I'm going to wait till my diff pops... it's whining like my daughter.... good thing I got a spare one sitting there ready to go in. I'm really pumped about doing the axles at the same time.

Also interested on the H/C setups mentioned earler......

CadiBlk is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Silver '05 V

Is it possible to just buy one axle that is bigger than stocker and still have the same anti-hop effect? Or are the two new axles with one larger than the other 'specifically' sized to eliminate the hop? If it would work, I imagine the cost would be lower and a lot more guys would be able to be on this buy. But maybe axles only like being swapped out in pairs and I am completely off on this.

For those of you that are curious about the specs of the axles:

The Outer c.v. stub is a 300M chromoly material with a special double temper, each of the 108mm Porsche style c.v.'s use standard housings but we have changed the internal to a special Ausse tempered material that makes them about 50% stronger than a standard Porsche style end, the center bars are 300M with one shaft being 1-1/8 in diameter and the other being 1-3/8. These shaft are made with rolled splines and our special non-interrupted torque design, this style part is made similar to a torsion bar with no stress risers in the middle of the bar. The inner c.v. stub is also 300M to finish the job off. axles are rated for 800Hp (maybe more depending on driver launch style and track conditions)

I am working out the final steps for the order form.

Quote Originally Posted by CadiBlk View Post
    Is it possible to just buy one axle that is bigger than stocker and still have the same anti-hop effect? Or are the two new axles with one larger than the other 'specifically' sized to eliminate the hop? If it would work, I imagine the cost would be lower and a lot more guys would be able to be on this buy. But maybe axles only like being swapped out in pairs and I am completely off on this.

if that was the case they would sell them like that.. They are specifically made to handle different twisting rates which eliminates the wheel hop. Plus the material and power limits is much higher on these aftermarket axles.. I am sure it would " help " the hop if you just did one but it is nothing more than a band aid fix.. I still see blown diffs and wheel hop issues if you don't do it right the first time and use both axles. You would still have a weak link with the stock axle..

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

Considering that several people have ripped stock axles out at the strip, I don't see the point in leaving one in there. Do it right the first time.
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

zie
    zie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Alright, I know very little about working on cars and don't feel I can do this myself. I can just take the shit you send to a mechanic and he will do what is needed right? lol, sorry for the stupid question.
    If so, pm me DJM. I wanna get on the list!

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

Quote Originally Posted by zie View Post
    Alright, I know very little about working on cars and don't feel I can do this myself. I can just take the shit you send to a mechanic and he will do what is needed right? lol, sorry for the stupid question.
    zie wins the "Painfully honest post of the day" award.
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

Doctornick is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Dynojetman,
    Will DSS replace broken axles? I know my buddies 620whp STi(cover car for import tuner a few months back) used to snap the "1000hp" axles all the time when launching under full boost. Do you think DSS would replace our axles if we end up snapping one? Your description of the axles setup sounds very familiar to the ones being sold to the subaru guys.

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Lemme make sure I'm understanding this correctly.....

You get both bada$$ axles for roughly $1540 shipped, and they are plug and play right?

i.e. We don't have to reuse our stock CV joints or reuse or adjust stock anything.....just remove knuckles/take the old axles out, plug yours in to our stock diff, no spline changes, and go. Right?

+1 on doctornick's question, and are there any other videos anywhere I can check out?

Quote Originally Posted by Doctornick View Post
    Dynojetman,
    Will DSS replace broken axles? I know my buddies 620whp STi(cover car for import tuner a few months back) used to snap the "1000hp" axles all the time when launching under full boost. Do you think DSS would replace our axles if we end up snapping one? Your description of the axles setup sounds very familiar to the ones being sold to the subaru guys.

These are rated for 800 WHP and should hold a lot more. They are warrantied for a year. If anything happens to them he will fix it free of charge. He is really good about the warranties I know this first hand from my buddy in his integra.. He told me he has used this material for years and no one should have a problem with these axles.. but if you do, they will be covered.

You get both bada$$ axles for roughly $1540 shipped, and they are plug and play right?

i.e. We don't have to reuse our stock CV joints or reuse or adjust stock anything.....just remove knuckles/take the old axles out, plug yours in to our stock diff, no spline changes, and go. Right?

Yes.. They are completely plug and play. You use nothing off your old axles. just remove knuckles and bolts and slide your old ones out and slide your new ones in, bolt it all back up and your good to go. No spline changes, etc.. 100% direct swap with stock diffs.

+1 on doctornick's question, and are there any other videos anywhere I can check out?

What type of video do you want me to make? Tell me what you want me to do with my car and I will have someone record it. I am the only V in america right now with these axles.. So I can't show you another car.. But I can show you mine or let you fly out here and try mine.. That's the best I can do.

Yes sir. Any mechanic can do this in 2 hours or less. If they try to charge you more than 2 hours labor tell them to FO and go somewhere else.. It is at lot more simple to do than you think it would be.

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by dynojetman View Post
    These are rated for 800 WHP and should hold a lot more. They are warrantied for a year. If anything happens to them he will fix it free of charge. He is really good about the warranties I know this first hand from my buddy in his integra.. He told me he has used this material for years and no one should have a problem with these axles.. but if you do, they will be covered.

Yes.. They are completely plug and play. You use nothing off your old axles. just remove knuckles and bolts and slide your old ones out and slide your new ones in, bolt it all back up and your good to go. No spline changes, etc.. 100% direct swap with stock diffs.

What type of video do you want me to make? Tell me what you want me to do with my car and I will have someone record it. I am the only V in america right now with these axles.. So I can't show you another car.. But I can show you mine or let you fly out here and try mine.. That's the best I can do.
    I figured you'd have more than one video already taken is all. Is there anyway to get a good shot of the cradle while clutch dumping it from a stand still? <- if not, that's ok. At the very least, how about some pictures of these beasts installed?

Put me on the list if they do what you say they do. I trust ya, but you know how it goes, plunking down $1500+...I want what you have.....NO HOP!!

Maybe you can throw in one of those axle seal saver tools?? <- thinking ahead here. Or we can get em from Luke

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by dynojetman View Post
    For those of you that are curious about the specs of the axles:

The Outer c.v. stub is a 300M chromoly material with a special double temper, each of the 108mm Porsche style c.v.'s use standard housings but we have changed the internal to a special Ausse tempered material that makes them about 50% stronger than a standard Porsche style end, the center bars are 300M with one shaft being 1-1/8 in diameter and the other being 1-3/8. These shaft are made with rolled splines and our special non-interrupted torque design, this style part is made similar to a torsion bar with no stress risers in the middle of the bar. The inner c.v. stub is also 300M to finish the job off. axles are rated for 800Hp (maybe more depending on driver launch style and track conditions)

I am working out the final steps for the order form.
    If I am reading this correctly the inner shaft diameters are 1-1/8" and 1-3/8" as compared with the stock 04-05 version that has a shaft diameter of 1-1/4" and the stock 06-07 version that has a shaft diameter of 1-1/2". This means that the shaft diameters are smaller than stock although the CVs are larger.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by The Tony Show View Post
    It looks like dynojetman (the other person with the axles already installed) runs a shop and is already getting ready to join as a vendor and set up a GB. Since you wouldn't be making a profit on this deal anyway, let's let him handle it.

I appreciate your gracious offer to do the legwork for nothing, and keep that idea in case dynojetman decides not to set this up.
    And the Moderator (who is not a potential purchaser in this case) gets to pick the higher cost bidder on behalf of the entire group, why?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.