Need help on More Perf. CAI Install
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Need help on More Perf. CAI Install in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I just finished installing the More Performance CAI and I'm concerned I didn't do it right. First of all, I ...
    GTS21 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Unhappy Need help on More Perf. CAI Install

I just finished installing the More Performance CAI and I'm concerned I didn't do it right. First of all, I had a h*ll of a time removing the rubber intake hose feeding air into the old airbox. The instructions describe two plastic rivets, but I had an additional two metal ones that were VERY difficult to get out. Next, the K&N filter doesn't really fit into the new airbox, it's just too big. Even at an angle, the side of the new airbox facing the engine has to bulge out to accomodate the filter, and the filter is sort of tightly wedged into place. Also, the MAF plug is very close to the pulley, and I can't really rotate the assembly any further to correct it. Is all of this normal? Did I get a bad kit? Help!! Thanks. Eric

Edit: One more thing, it didn't seem necessary to use the hose clamp supplied with the K&N filter. I just used the clamp on the one end of the MAF sensor module that connects to the filter. Another screw up?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BeagleBrains is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 Seville; 2004 CTS V; 2011 CTS V Coupe

Re: Need help on More Perf. CAI Install

When I logged on to their site, the pictures appear to have the Cold Air Intake housing somewhat distorted. It looks as if the Air Filter is oversized and bulges the side of the box. Great to have this available. But, maybe they rushed production a little.
    Being conservative, I would use the supplied hose clamp per the directions. It fits snugly enough that this is unnecessary.

trekster is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V R.I.P.

I thought I had the same problem...until I removed the one inch thick hose that's connected to the long tube(the long tube that connects to the air filter) . (The one with out the white looking filter) Then Success!

Quote Originally Posted by Black Beast
    I thought I had the same problem...until I removed the one inch thick hose that's connected to the long tube(the long tube that connects to the air filter) . (The one with out the white looking filter) Then Success!
    How did that help that filter fit into the new air box? The instructions didn't say anything about removing anything other than the old airbox and the rubber intake hose? I WISH someone was at More Perf. on a Saturday to get some help.

trekster is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by GTS21
    How did that help that filter fit into the new air box? The instructions didn't say anything about removing anything other than the old airbox and the rubber intake hose? I WISH someone was at More Perf. on a Saturday to get some help.
    It allowed the one inch I needed so I can fit Cak. I removed the rubber intake hose since it's nothing.

MorePerformanceInc is offline Cadillac Owners Member

You need to use the hose clamps that are supplied. Shoot me a PM with detailed questions and I can answer them. We do not work on Saturdays.

Amber

Quote Originally Posted by MorePerformanceInc
    You need to use the hose clamps that are supplied. Shoot me a PM with detailed questions and I can answer them. We do not work on Saturdays.

Amber
    Amber; For some reason, the forum isn't allowing me to PM you. Any chance I could give you a call, or could you call me? I didn't use the clamp that came with the K&N filter, becuase the one on the MAF sensor looked the same. I must not be understanding the instructions.

I have a total of three hose clamps installed, one on the end of the long intake tube, where it connects with the throttle body, the next at the other end of the long tube, where it connects with the MAF, and the third on the other side of the MAF, connecting to the rubber tube of the K&N filter sticking through the new airbox. The K&N filter came with a clamp, but where would it go?

Amber; For some reason, the forum isn't allowing me to PM you. Any chance I could give you a call, or could you call me? I didn't use the clamp that came with the K&N filter, becuase the one on the MAF sensor looked the same. I must not be understanding the instructions.

I have a total of three hose clamps installed, one on the end of the long intake tube, where it connects with the throttle body, the next at the other end of the long tube, where it connects with the MAF, and the third on the other side of the MAF, connecting to the rubber tube of the K&N filter sticking through the new airbox. The K&N filter came with a clamp, but where would it go?
    bump

sefa01 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Talking Re: Need help on More Perf. CAI Install

After seeing the problems encountered in this thread, I went to Cartek in NJ (listed under Cadillac CTS-V FAQ). 1/2 hour and $50 for a perfect installation.

CadV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): V2

I just finished installing the More Performance CAI and I'm concerned I didn't do it right. First of all, I had a h*ll of a time removing the rubber intake hose feeding air into the old airbox. The instructions describe two plastic rivets, but I had an additional two metal ones that were VERY difficult to get out. Next, the K&N filter doesn't really fit into the new airbox, it's just too big. Even at an angle, the side of the new airbox facing the engine has to bulge out to accomodate the filter, and the filter is sort of tightly wedged into place. Also, the MAF plug is very close to the pulley, and I can't really rotate the assembly any further to correct it. Is all of this normal? Did I get a bad kit? Help!! Thanks. Eric

Edit: One more thing, it didn't seem necessary to use the hose clamp supplied with the K&N filter. I just used the clamp on the one end of the MAF sensor module that connects to the filter. Another screw up?
    If you pull hard enough on the rubber duct the rubber will stretch over the the three rivets. Just grab the rubber at the point of the rivet and do that for all three of them.

Cliff

CadV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): V2

One more thing, it didn't seem necessary to use the hose clamp supplied with the K&N filter. I just used the clamp on the one end of the MAF sensor module that connects to the filter. Another screw up?
    If you take your MAF and make sure the Air Flow arrow is pointing in the right direction the black rubber will slide off the part facing the air filter. To clarify this is the section after the black square piece. Once this is removed (you will see a round silver) the air filter will slide over this and you can use the clamp from the More Perf CAK.

Cliff

joshdctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '06 300c SRT-8

Iím going to pass along what I learned from the install. I am anything but mechanically inclined and this (like the Valentine1 install) scared the hell out of meÖ but it IS do-able for us non gear-heads.

[Iím going to assume you have the provided instructions in front of you. The numbers correspond to those]

[1,2] Ok, Iíll admit itÖ I have no idea what a throttle body or MAF sensor is. For anyone else in the same boat, the air tube comes out of the front/center of the engine. Where they meet is the throttle body. The air tube takes an immediate right turn from the engine towards the driverís side to the air filter. Just before it gets to the air filter box (plastic cover with several warning labels on it) there is an attachment to the tube with wire connections. This is the MAF sensor.
    [3] This is not easy with big hands. I used needle nose pliers to squeeze the tab in the middle that locks the connector on. Once that was clear, a flat head screwdriver was used to pry the two pieces apart.
    [6] The infamous rubber air intake duct. Cliff made a great suggestion to pull the rubber over the rivets. I used a flat head screwdriver to get between the rubber and the rivet to accomplish this. There are FOUR of these. 2 are engine side and have heads on the left (easy to get to), 2 are grill side and have heads (which you canít get to) on the right. Even on those 2, however, you can still pull the rubber off by stretching it out over the nuts (?) on the left hand side, though they are harder. I found that after getting the 2 engine side easy ones, I could push the rubber in towards the grill, and put my left hand in where the hood latch is to pull it in even further. This exposes the last 2 to work on.
    [8-14] I tried Moreís way and couldnít get the filter flange to fit over the tube. I would suggest you put the box in to see how it fits (you WILL have to bend it a bit, but itís quite resilient and bounces back) then take it back out and put everything together outside the car. This worked very well for me.
    [10] I would move this to last. I must have screwed/unscrewed this thing 3-4 times. Get everything where you like it, with all connections made and tight, then do this one. Also, my kit came with a washer. I assumed this went under the kit between it and the bodyÖthe screw you re-use has its own washer already. Word of warning, be careful not to drop it in the engine compartment. It took me 10 minutes to fish out after I did.
    [12] The K&N filter comes with a clamp. Remove it. You donít need it and it actually gets in the way if you leave it on (doesnít fit in the air box hole). Youíll use the MAF sensorís clamp to attach to the filter.
    [14] As stated above, I did this before I put everything all the way in. Big hands make it hard to get under and make this connection after itís all attached. Once installed, the wire connection is ~1 inch from the power steering pulley (!) but seems to be firmly/safely in place with the included clamp.

More could/should post some install pics on their site, other than just 5 views of the end result. Also, when I did something similar with my 99 vette several years back, there was a ďbreak in/learningĒ procedure. Warm up, rev to 2000, wait 5 mins, rev to 3000, wait 5 mins, etcÖ I was surprised there was not anything similar described by More. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Cal
    Cal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by sefa01
    After seeing the problems encountered in this thread, I went to Cartek in NJ (listed under Cadillac CTS-V FAQ). 1/2 hour and $50 for a perfect installation.
    You should have ordered their head/cam while you were there!

How did you like the shop, that place could fit inside a modest house, it's damn small!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.