Super-V - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Super-V in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I actually think GM is doing the right thing putting the LS2 engine in the Vette, GTO, and others. If ...
    globed70 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: Super-V

I actually think GM is doing the right thing putting the LS2 engine in the Vette, GTO, and others. If the engines (LS2, LS7, etc) are shared and the Corvette wants to be the FASTEST car in GM's paddock, then it'll need to be the LIGHTEST car... and notice that is exactly what they are doing. The LS6 is probably gone in the V after the 05 model run (no need to change engines during a model year and they are taking advantage of sunk costs by the Z06 program).

The bigger challenge is character distinction between the car lines.... in our case a Caddy with a Corvette engine and tranny. I bought the car expecting a lumpy idle and somewhat agricultural driveline... no complaints.... that is how they arrived at a reasonable price. But others will be bothered (yes, right here on this forum) that some refinement is missing.

As far as HP comparisons, they can do what they've done before with the LS1 or what Mercedes AMG does with their output ratings... stretch the truth by claiming that exhaustdesign won't allow the engine to make the same power in the cheaper model.

Vedder is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

So the LS2 is a better engine? more powerfull? What cars use this LS2 engine? Why did they not use it on the V? How much would this cost to convert it STEALTHV, and how much more power would that add?

Quote Originally Posted by Vedder
    So the LS2 is a better engine? more powerfull? What cars use this LS2 engine? Why did they not use it on the V? How much would this cost to convert it STEALTHV, and how much more power would that add?
    I was responding to the curiosity around sharing engines at GM. The new LS2 is a 400hp replacement for the existing 350hp LS1. It is in the new Corvette C6, 05 GTO, and likely others. It would make sense to use this in a base CTS-V starting in 06, as it is more-or-less equivalent to the current LS6 engine we have, but of more displacement. No performance advantage per se, although perhaps a bit more power under the curve.

The presumed LS7 is meant to power the new Corvette C6 Z06 (or whatever they will call it), and is meant to have something around 475-500hp. It could conceivably be used in a CTS-V Plus or Super V or whatever they call it.... or they could decide to supercharge an LS2 or a Northstar engine.

Make some sense?

Dreamin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 V

Makes you want to cry

Dreamin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 V

It would make sense to use this in a base CTS-V starting in 06, as it is more-or-less equivalent to the current LS6 engine we have, but of more displacement.
    But if you follow GM's logic... they put their flagship engine the LS6 into the V... not the LS1. And GTO, SSR, base C5 got LS1.

So now if LS1 -> LS2 and LS6 -> LS7.

Following through on that logic... GTO, SSR, C6 get LS2 (if rumors are true) and C6 Z06 and CTS-V get LS7
    Simple, straight-forward product lines, and we get out of the "new engine type, every year" club.

I dont buy two engine versions for the CTS-V... an LSx and then another 600hp thing? Maybe a brand new supercharged engine?? Too expensive...Too much R&D... GM's still a pretty conversative company...much less so post-Lutz, but still... their flagship car, the C6 Z06 still wont have as much HP as the Viper, E55 AMG, nor new M5...

Just my $0.02

T_Dogg8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade EXT 2003 CTS

i agree. i think there will only be one v with one engine (probably the ls7) maybe an ls2 for the '06 and '07 model years, or at least until one model year after the c6 z06. if they make a 'super-v', they'll probably have it replace the 'v' instead of added to it.

I'm not convinced they went with an LS6 because it was their top engine, only bacause 400hp is really required to make the V competitive with benchmarks: BMW M3 and the last BMW M5.

I don't personally care whether they have more than one V model, as I would buy the most powerful model regardless... but if they wanted to move the V series in a bit more volume, having competitive offerings at both $50k and $60k+ might make alot of sense... especially if they continue with the engine share.

Lastly, the dyno charts shouldn't make anyone cry... notice that the Torque has been scaled to start at 250, not 0... so visually, the differences are out of proportion.... yes, there is more area under the curve, and around town you will have more a bunch more grunt at low revs, but in all out shifting around the power band (4k-6k) the differences are less pronounced.

T_Dogg8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade EXT 2003 CTS

do everyone think there would be enough interest for two v's?? i'm thinking the prices would be closer to 50k and 70k or 80k. i think for right now at least, one v at great hp is enough. most people would probably opt for a cts if they weren't worried about top hp, and the top hp v if they were. the middle one would probably get lost in the shuffle. and no one would want to brag about having the super v's little brother. it'd be like if they added a 600 hp vette. people who wanted the extra hp (the ones who buy the z06 now) would buy that. and the ones who prefer to spend less would still go with the base corvette.

miscreant is offline GM Connection

There won't be a super-V from GM sold at Cadillac dealerships. Could there be a "callaway"-esque super-V by a GM-endorsed company, yes.
    2004 Cadillac CTS (**SOLD** ): http://www.ctsowners.com
    2004 Pontiac GTO: http://www.myyellowgto.com

StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

After the early 70's horsepower death in cars and the mid-80's asthmatic 230 hp Corvettes, I thought I had missed the muscle car wars forever.

The LS2 is proof to the "old technology" pushrod haters of the world that the small block is far from being pushed to its limit and there's still more to be had for future years. Ricers, be afraid, very afraid.

There will always be a special place in my heart for my LS6. It was (is) the pinacle in small block technology, with relatively limited production.

wildwhl is offline Cadillac Owners Master

The LS2 appears to be a stump puller of a motor. The above dyno graph appears to show peak numbers below 5,000 rpm...but would make short shifting fun (and most shifting unnecessary). Seems it will also mate quite well to an autotragic, I mean automatic transmission with such low end grunt.

Time will tell, I suppose, but I still love the sound and powerband of the LS6.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.