Mallett Shifter Install
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Mallett Shifter Install in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Well, to me, replacing the stock shifter with a much better one is more important than 15-20 HP. I got ...
    rabid is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Mallett Shifter Install

Well, to me, replacing the stock shifter with a much better one is more important than 15-20 HP.

I got the shifter installed today. It took 2 hours (including taking pictures). Pretty easy and straight-forward.

First, some pictures of the stock shifter and the Mallett shifter:

This is the Mallett shifter:

Here are the two shifters next to each other:

Notice the differece in material between the two for the linkage end bushings; rubber for the stock and aluminum for the Mallett:

The only other difference between the two is the length of the shift arm:

So, the only difference between the Mallett shifter and the stock shifter is the aluminum bushings compared to rubber and the shorter shifter arm (exactly 1/2 inch shorter).

In my opinion, if you have access to a lathe, you can make this shifter (arm and bushings) yourself in an afternoon. I only learned how to use a lathe this past February and I am confident I could make this shifter.

The difference the Mallett Shifter made:

The throw is shorter; maybe 1 inch from first to second.

The shifter is only slightly more precise going into each gear, not what I expected at all. It is still difficult to get into reverse.

So, is it worth $350? ($450-$100 core)

No. It is worth maybe $150 to $200 ($200 cheaper). That is what I would have paid. That does not take into account the fact I could have made it myself.

There is a difference in feel, but not nearly what I would expect for $350.

I guess nothing will ever compare to the S2000 shifter I'm use to.

I sent a detailed set of instructions to Reed (www.cadillacfaq.com). They should be up there soon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ctsvett is offline FAQ is your Friend

Re: Mallett Shifter Install

All,
    The instructions are up on "the FAQ".

Direct link:
    Http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answe...ter/index.html

Or look under "tranny" at
    Http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq

Everyone thank RABID for the awesome instructions!

Reed
    http://www.cadillacfaq.com

Cal
    Cal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Every inch counts, they say!

Sorry to hear it was not as good as you expected. Personally when I drove the S2000 back in 2000 I think it was, I couldn't stand the shifts, so to each his own.

sefa01 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Cal:

Didn't you say youhave the Mallett shifter on order? If so, I'll be very curious when you put yours in. Also, how goes the FG2 shocks?

BTW, I'm in North Jersey (near Exit 168 of the GSP). From your posts, I guess you're in Central Jersey.

Steve Enright
    CTS-V
    Black/Black

Cal

Quote Originally Posted by sefa01
    Cal:

Didn't you say youhave the Mallett shifter on order? If so, I'll be very curious when you put yours in. Also, how goes the FG2 shocks?

BTW, I'm in North Jersey (near Exit 168 of the GSP). From your posts, I guess you're in Central Jersey.

Steve Enright
    CTS-V
    Black/Black
    Yes, I do, I am probably going to have my dealer do the install. The FG2 are great. I think I toasted my rear end 2 nights ago on the GSP, so I won't be abusing them for a short while - taking the car in on Tues. For reference I am WAY south of you, exit 67 on the GSP.

sefa01 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Cal:

Since I'm considering both the FG@ and the Mallett shifter (as well as the Corsa exhausts and the More cold air intake), I'll appreciate your input. I may even take the 100 mi run--if you don't mind--to see the FG2 and the Mallett after you have them in.

I also know what you mean about the S2000 shifter. I have an M roadstar and it's smooth as silk.

Finally, don't know if you saw my post about Tracquest (tracquest.com). I'm going to Watkins Glen Oct. 30-31 to put the V through its paces. Cost is $550 for the 2 days and includes instruction, insurance, etc.

Steve Enright

Cal

Steve,

If you can't wait that long

www.pdadrivingschool.com

Has events all summer long. $200 a pop or so. I went to Pocono awhile back when they offered it. North Course will definitely test the speed and handling of the V. I did the East Course which is highly technical with 2 hairpins. Had a great time, wish I had the FG2 installed at that point so I could have hit it even harder.

I haven't gone again due to time constraints and a little hesitation after seeing a couple people wreck at Pocono last time (noone near me, but still).

Devil_concours is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Cal
    Every inch counts, they say!

Sorry to hear it was not as good as you expected. Personally when I drove the S2000 back in 2000 I think it was, I couldn't stand the shifts, so to each his own.
    i don't know. I've driven the s2k (i would have got one if i fit in there better) and it was one of the best shifters i've used.

Well, as I mentioned, to me the S2000 is exactly what I am looking for and probably the best shifter I have ever used; nice short shifts, but more importantly, it is very precise without any trouble going into each gear.

The Mallett shifter is shorter-which is good. It does make the throws a little more precise, but not anything near what I was expecting.

Like I said, it does make a difference and to some, this difference is probably what they want in a shifter. But I can't stand the fact that everytime it takes three tries to go into reverse and I can't tell you how many times I was running hard and went to shift only to spend a good second trying to get it into gear.

Good shifter, but not worth $350. In my opinion.

Cal

The difficulty in shifting may be due to problems in the car, I know myself I had a problem with it trying to go into R instead of 5th at around 110mph and globed said he has had the same problem since day 1. I can get it into R on the first shot pretty much all the time.

Someone else will be coming out with a more precise shifter I am positive; this was just the only option we had, and unfortunately it will not live up to everyone's expectations.

DgtalPimp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS-V bl/bl CAGS!, BB X-pipe, Baer Extreme Plus Brakes

Quote Originally Posted by Cal
    The difficulty in shifting may be due to problems in the car, I know myself I had a problem with it trying to go into R instead of 5th at around 110mph and globed said he has had the same problem since day 1. I can get it into R on the first shot pretty much all the time.
    R on the first time? Maybe a new form of racing.

Dgtal

lasstss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Rabid, would you sell me the shifter that you took out for $100 core? I can have my machinist make up a bunch of change parts for those that cant handle or dont want to handle the $350. I was also thinking of putting urethane in place of the rubber that slides out.

Quote Originally Posted by lasstss
    Rabid, would you sell me the shifter that you took out for $100 core? I can have my machinist make up a bunch of change parts for those that cant handle or dont want to handle the $350. I was also thinking of putting urethane in place of the rubber that slides out.
    Funny you mention it; I was thinking about machining the couple different parts and selling it. But I will be happy to sell you the stock shifter the way it is, for, $450. Hahaha. j/k Write me back here or at rabid355@yahoo.com and let me know.

jim mitchell is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Couple hour install...hummm. Sounds like you didn't have to drop the tranny - did you? If so...you're fast!

Quote Originally Posted by jim mitchell
    Couple hour install...hummm. Sounds like you didn't have to drop the tranny - did you? If so...you're fast!
    With the transmission, I just unbolted the driveshaft from the output shaft on the tranny with 3 bolts. Then there is a cross brace that holds the tranny up;
    remove that (8 bolts) and the tranny lowers with a jack (carefully).

The exhaust was simple and straightforward to remove (no rust or nothing). The drive shaft had a few bolts, and the trans had the brace/bracket.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.