Cadillac Owners Forum banner
6K views 62 replies 18 participants last post by  shadybx7 
#1 ·
I sifted through a ton of exhaust threads and could not find an answer...

Would replacing the resonator with an x-pipe on a totally stock exhaust enhance the sound? If so, by how much?

#2 ·
If you want a cheap way to make the "V" sound better it is pretty cheap and easy to remove the mufflers and run straight pipes. The local muffer shop took and hour and $118 and the resulting exhaust note is great. A slight drone in the 1400-1700 rpm range but I can cruise above 60 mph and the drone is gone. Seems to me that an x-pipe with stock muffers just ain't right.

#3 ·
My goal is to fall somewhere in between the sound of the stock system, and a magnaflow (more quiet than a cat-back, but a little more muscular than the stock sound). I did see the mufflers removed systems on you-tube and they did sound really good, but I'm not sure I want to go that loud. Before the V I drove a Grand National with a hollowed out cat, a 3inch downpipe, and no mufflers. Now I am kind of enjoying the ability to actually hear my stereo with the caddy. I'm afraid I may regret the very tempting idea of cutting out the mufflers on the V.

#4 ·
I ran straight pipes with no crossover with factory mufflers and it sounded really good as long as you have cats. It did have an annoying pop between shifts after the resonator was removed but I here that can be tuned out. It did sound very good other than the pop.

If you run headers with no cats out the stock mufflers with no resonators it sounds like crap! I know!

#6 ·
It could. My car was stock tune so his may not do that. You could always try it and just make it so you can put it back if you dont like it.

#11 ·
#13 ·
Thats the only thing about the stock exhaust I liked. I could drive like a nut, turn the corner with a police car sitting there and he never even looks twice.

#19 · (Edited)
Vee, any updates?? im interested in turning up the volume in my stock exhaust too..

What does the "popping" sound similar to? like a turbo car on decel pop? Any videos? i searched youtube and came up with nothing..

edit:
i kept looking and found a x-pipe/strait pipe vid with popping .. is this what you guys were walking about?
if i keep the stock mufflers wouldn't it be less pronounced?

#20 ·
Vee, any updates?? im interested in turning up the volume in my stock exhaust too..

What does the "popping" sound similar to? like a turbo car on decel pop? Any videos? i searched youtube and came up with nothing..

edit:
i kept looking and found a x-pipe/strait pipe vid with popping .. is this what you guys were walking about?
if i keep the stock mufflers wouldn't it be less pronounced?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--ZYF0McaJk

yep! that is the BS pop that I hate so much!!!!! and it gets louder with headers....it's due to low backpressure....got a fix in mind...ordered some mufflers ...will let everyone know how they work and post a clip..I don't think anyone on here has the mufflers I ordered:shhh:

#21 ·
I would bet I have less backpressure on my B&B system with an X pipe and I have no pop.

When Stealth (where is that guy?) tuned it there was an option of turning the burble and pop off and it had nothing to do with what exhaust system was used.

It also came with a caveat that it would affect the mileage (a little) but I don't mind.

Just saying that it can be "tuned out".

#22 ·
Heavy

I've tunned out the "burble and pop" messed with the DFCO and clutch in fuel off etc...

I have kooks and x-pipe and corsa (famous for pop) it's be tunned to the point where it feels like the car has cruise on when you let off the gas...

so I'm ditching the corsa and trying something else....

#24 ·
B&B doesn't sale just the muffler :banghead: and I'm not paying for the whole system since I already have SS everything else

#28 ·
funny!

2.5" exhaust flows around 560CFM, a 500 hp motor pumps about 550CFM. A 3" exhaust flows 672CFM and that requires over 600 hp motor to reach over 600 CFM.

my goal is to get 400rwhp...with the V averaging 13-15% loss in drive train that would put the motor hp around 460....so the $$$ on 3" would be a waste...unless you want to contribute some $$$??????? then I would be happy to waste it

#30 ·
did you just insult a MOD and call him a biatch?: naughty naughty jim

#35 ·
if I had a maggie I would spend the money for the B&B too

#34 ·
I have replaced the resonator with a 2.5 xpipe kept the rest stock.
No big difference at idle
but at WOT there's more GRRRR in the exhaust but not too much...
I thought about straight pipes but I dont want to fail TX inspections, and i heard arguments both ways on straight pipes. BUT Xpipe no issue.
I need to shoot video this weekend, It was 35degrees in Dallas today....
maybe tomorrow....

--Jerry

#38 ·
OP,

Sound like you won't be doing much in the way of mods, since sound is a concern. With that said, if price isn't as much of an issue, you might consider swapping to some aftermarket cats. In the OEM system, the cats are the biggest bottleneck (behind the exhaust manifold itself). You could swap in some Random Technologies high flow cats. They are a bit pricey ($700ish), but are very high quality. They will make the car sound great, but not too loud. Additionally they will add approx 10 hp/tq, which is a plus (muffler delete or X pipe isn't really going to gain you anything from a HP/TQ perspective).

I had them on my car, before I decided to get headers, and was very happy with the sound and the quality.

Here is info on the part:
http://www.randomtechnology.com/cadillac.html

Here are vendors that sell them:
http://www.randomtechnology.com/contact.html

My $0.02,

Chris

#46 ·
Surprised no one has considered and H-pipe over and X-pipe. For most driving the H produces the same power but produces a deeper' American bass where the X higher pitch stacato note.

The Corvette and GTO guys are close to 50/50 split on choice.

Norm

I've always heard, H-Pipe is better for low end TRQ, and X-Pipe is better for high end HP. Probabaly not much of a difference at near stock hp/tq levels.

-Chris

#47 ·
Anyone throw a h pipe on a :v: yet? :pop2:

#49 ·
Corsa does as well.

I think even the stock resonator has an H pipe???

-Chris

#51 ·
let me clarify, has anyone installed a h-pipe on the stock exhaust in place of the resonator.. you know keeping with the whole theme of dialing up the sound on the stock exhaust..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.