Speed INC Intake ?????
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Speed INC Intake ????? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Anybody here bought the intake setup for there V from Speed Inc? There are some pics posted on LS1tech of ...
    ssmith100 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Speed INC Intake ?????

Anybody here bought the intake setup for there V from Speed Inc? There are some pics posted on LS1tech of someones car. I wonder what kind of intake setup the V race cars are running. I have yet to see a pic of the engine bay in the cars. Anybody got any pics???

Shane

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

benjet is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Speed INC Intake ?????

I was considering buying one of the smooth tubes that run from a new open air filter to the TB (I think this is what you are referring to) but @ $200 I can make one for less than half that and be just as good. This is a MUCH better idea *IMHO* than the More Perf BOX. I have pics of the race cars and the intake is so different we can't take any elements of it, but I have something planned

-Ben

P.S. Here is what I believe to be the CTS-VR engine bay - keep in mind 1.enigne is ~3in farther back than reg CTS-V and 2. there is no OBD-CRAP/emissions needed on a race car (which also doesnt run on pump gas).
    Attached Images

bryce3 is offline BAD EMAIL ADDRESS

That is a cool looking intake on the 'VR'. It is very similar to the intake on the vettes. I was told that our V's have not been tuned down from the vette specs, but our intake and exhaust are way more restricted. I too was looking into fabricating a more of a ram air style or direct flow path for my intakes air filter placement. Let us know if you have any solid ideas.
    -Sean

StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

On a stock V, if one got rid of the plastic filler panel over the radiator, a VR style intake could be fabricated. This idea has been floating around in my head for sometime on how it could be replicated. The thing holding me up was how to filter the air but I've got some ideas now on that and it won't be near the hassle I was originally envisioning.

DgtalPimp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS-V CAI, CAM, BB X-pipe, Baer Extreme Plus

I like the idea behind this shown intake. If we could get the airflow to produce a ram effect we could even see more increase at speed. Thoughts from your tech heads on how to make this work?

Dgtal

Dreamin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 V

I think you're right benjet... that must be the CTS-VR.
    I initially thought it was a Grand Am CTS-V... the #26 car is black. But the engine compartment looks very different:

Like the carbon fiber body panels? :coolgleam

And it cant be an SCCA T2 V... can't change that much in T2 class... so that only leaves the CTS-VR.

It looks like the MAF is integrated into the intake... the outline right in front of the hose clamp?? very cool.

If anyone's interested... some info on the Powell Motorsports Grand Am cars:
    http://www.theracesite.com/index.cfm...m_article=6719
    http://www.theracesite.com/index.cfm...e=pa&pa_id=176
    http://www.theracesite.com/index.cfm...e=pa&pa_id=175
    http://www.theracesite.com/index.cfm...e=pa&pa_id=174
    http://www.theracesite.com/index.cfm...e=pa&pa_id=173

Ram air is only benficial @ >~200 mph, but it's a nice idea anyway (plus it's cool to say hey look it's RAM AIR!)

Here are some more I think the 1st one is a WC car - this looks more home-brewed, and then the Grand Am Car with a different intake.

Keep in mind that these cars only need to finish the race so air filtration is NOT high on their priority list.

-Ben
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by benjet
    Ram air is only benficial @ >~200 mph, but it's a nice idea anyway (plus it's cool to say hey look it's RAM AIR!)-Ben
    Ben -- Not sure I buy the ram is ONLY beneficial @ > 200 MPH. I can see it get more beneficial as you get faster, but keeping the scope full of cold (as it relates to the engine bay) air has to be one of the highest priorities.

Dgtal

Quote Originally Posted by DgtalPimp
    keeping the scope full of cold (as it relates to the engine bay) air has to be one of the highest priorities.

Dgtal
    OK I can agree with that. I was talking to the need to (force) feed the intake air (in NA engines, in respect to going >1 bar).

globed70 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Yes... back in my Viper GTS days one of the PhDs in everything looked at the ram air effect of the hood scoop on the Viper (and other vehicles), and found that temperature was the difference at sane speeds.

urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

I'm totally a mechanical idiot....but tons of superbikes have a "ram air" type system...to pressurize the airbox...so there has to be some benefit as highway speeds.

BenJet thought I meant the rammed air would get the V to a forced air situation. I am saying a scope like the one pictured will not get us forced air, but it will increase performance because the air it collects is cooler, and there is more volume of air present. The motor still has to suck the air in (not forced in).

On the super bikes the ram is there to fill their airbox with cool air (hence the routing of the air past the radiator) .

Dgtal

Stiff1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I got my intake done at speed inc. and they did a great job! I picked up 14.7rwhp from the intake alone. It is definately worth the $200. The overall fit and quality is great.

Cal
    Cal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Stiff1
    I got my intake done at speed inc. and they did a great job! I picked up 14.7rwhp from the intake alone. It is definately worth the $200. The overall fit and quality is great.
    Did they give you an aftermarket pipe? If so I'd like to order one.

Nic00Z28M6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Ram air systems increase the volumetric efficiency of a motor since it does charge the air intake somewhat. Nothing like forced induction but they do work and work well depending on the design.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.