Exhaust Question for the Heavies...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Exhaust Question for the Heavies... in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; ...If I run straight exhaust from the headers(cut cats)but reinstall the sensors....what will the computer do???...
    V-Love is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV(killed), 2005 CTSV(killed that too).

Exhaust Question for the Heavies...

...If I run straight exhaust from the headers(cut cats)but reinstall the sensors....what will the computer do???

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Jerseyboy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Exhaust Question for the Heavies...

You will set codes for catalyst efficiency and maybe fuel trims. I've also seen this with some aftermarket catalysts as they are not as good at removing pollutants as the OE cats are. Your car will also be louder as the catalysts also act as a muffler of sorts.

Jersey

Cal
    Cal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

ls1edit will probably be needed or the car will run way rich/lean I am thinking. $350 for the tune I believe, on average.

So with a re-tune it could be done? Who do you see about computers in a car? Are there techs that specialize in this(or good books to read)? Exhaust is the first thing I would like to do.

Cal
    Cal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Most shops will do a tune if you mail them your PCM and send it back to you, but that's not the same as dyno tuning the car. I think with that set up you NEED to take it to a tuner shop and have them do the tune.

6104696 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Cats make a HUGE difference with noise. When I put flowmasters on my 5.0 I ran it with "open cats" instead of open headers for a little while, just out of curiosity; the car sounded pathetic. The two chamber flowmasters smoothed it right out and made it sound quite nice.

Needless to say, there will be an emissions inspection issue if you remove the cats...unless you plan to have a "track" setup and a "street" setup........

Doug

On second thought, isn't the LS6 a "ULEV" engine? If so, doesn't the computer have a catalyst deterioration test program, and issue an error code (and possibly a "limp home" mode) when the computer detects a cat failure? Or does the "tune" that you refer to address this issue?

I know nothing about computers but I figured that any sensor could easily be jumped out. I read the V gets plenty of air in but is restricted on the way out. So, I thought exhaust would be a good first project. BUT, the more I drive it the more I want to just leave it alone. Although, I like the way that 427 sounds on the 427 thread.

Silver Baron is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2

Check out "Exhaust Update" in this thread http://cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15965,
    Now you can have your cake and eat it too

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.