Cadillac Owners Forum banner
17K views 47 replies 12 participants last post by  thebigjimsho 
#1 ·
July 1, 2004

Caddy is going to the Targa

The Ultimate North American Tarmac Rally

Team Silver Baron 2nd place finisher at the 2003 Targa Newfoundland is doing it again and this time they are bringing out the big gun.
The new 2004 Cadillac CTS-V. They have but one plan, to obey to the Targa motto: Dive her the way she was built to be driven!

OVERVIEW

The Targa Newfoundland is the first and only event of its kind in North America. It is held annually and forms a 2200 km long, high quality automotive adventure. Over a 7-day period in September of each year the rally covers paved public roads of the eastern and central parts of the island of Newfoundland. Now in its third year, the event features a variety of classic, sports and modern vehicles, and ran through an equally diverse range of road surfaces. Long stretches of remote roads were interspersed with short, challenging stages through towns, villages and subdivisions. Often roads narrowed to little more than lanes or paths as competitors flung their cars up and down hills, between houses and through back alleys. These town stages were not for the faint of heart! But it also allows the public to view the race close up, often right from their front porch. In addition, every evening the race cars are displayed at local car shows. Fans can see firsthand the hustle and bustle involved in preparing and sometimes fixing the race cars.

HISTORY

The original event, the Targa Florio, was run on the island of Sicily for some years as a road race. "Targa" means plate in Italian. It was special, as the cars did not compete one against the other but competed time against time, with cars being started in intervals. In 1990 the concept was re-developed by motor enthusiasts in the Australian island of Tasmania and in subsequently in Newfoundland, Canada.

The island of Newfoundland is the ideal location for such an event. It is one of the only places in North America that can offer the challenging roads required for such an event. Last year's Targa Newfoundland was a huge success and attracted participants from Canada, the United States of America, Australia and New Zealand, United Kingdom and Western Europe.

This year’s Targa Newfoundland will again be a 6-day, 2,200-plus kilometer Tarmac rally and is expected to attract over 100 cars. It will start and finish in St. John's and run September 11 through September 19. The event is staged with the co-operation of VINLAND Motorsports, is sanctioned by the Canadian Association of Rallysport (CARS) and is listed on the FIA calendar.

THE CAR

Last year, their car was a Mini Cooper S and after five days of intensive racing finished 2nd place in the Touring Class.

However, for 2004 they are bringing the big gun. The new Cadillac CTS-V. Sure to gather lots of attention and excitement among Cadillac fans. There's never been a Cadillac quite like the CTS-V. Refined, tuned and unleashed at Germany's famed Nürburgring, the hallowed testing ground of BMW, Audi and Porsche, the CTS-V is the epitome of breakthrough performance. The 5.7liter Z06 derived engine generates an astounding level of performance and a 0-60 mph time of 4.6 seconds. The six-speed manual transmission and traction-boosting limited slip differential will bring a smile to those with a nose for technical details. When it comes to handling, CTS-V takes a back seat to none. With near 50/50 weight distribution, performance-tuned suspension the CTS-V transmits a precision-focused level of driver feedback. And at each corner sits a massive 14" vented Brembo disc brake with four-piston calipers, to give every driving story a happy ending.

Here are some remarks taken from Dan Neil’s article in the LA Times:

…This car blows you away. The CTS-V puts it all together in a splendid singularity: warrior-prince aesthetics, escape-velocity speed, neck-wrenching cornering and a superbly tuned chassis that does for bad roads what Bose noise-canceling headsets do to buzzy airplane cabins. Rare are the cars that pair such excellent ride compliance with performance handling, but the CTS-V is a driver's dream. …The chassis' pitch-and-roll characteristics are tight and snubbed down. USSecretary of Defense DonaldH.Rumsfeld is more flexible. Its 5.7-liter engine is to everyday driving what plastic explosive is to lock-picking. Easygoing enough in stop-and-go traffic, the motor will on demand deliver leaping, lunging acceleration that will stuff you into the leather seats like TonySoprano stuffs bodies in trunks. When this motor is fully on the cam, it produces 400 HP and 390 pound-feet of torque at 4,800 RPM and a wonderfully feral exhaust sound that says nothing so much as "stay off the moors…"

This new car is the quintessence of a powerful, long-distance sedan - The perfect car for the Targa Newfoundland.

THE TEAM

Team Silver Baron is headed by Harald von Langsdorff, a successful businessman, living in Inglewood, Ontario. His Co-Driver is Dave Weiman, from Houston Texas. Dave is an experienced Grand Master in SCCA Road Rallies with almost 400 hundred lifetime points

However, despite the fact that the car is nearly perfect (see above). Team Silver Baron is in the process of prepping their CTS-V. Numerous individuals and companies are planning to help out.

We will keep you updated as to the progress of their endeavour.

For further details please contact:

Harald von Langsdorff

(905) 838 1980, targa@langsdorff.com

Targa Newfoundland: www.targanewfoundland.com

Results at: www.rallyscoring.com

More pictures of the car here: http://cadillacforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=112954&postcount=23

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
That looks to be a most incredible competition. I was seriously thinking of entering my V in the Touring section. A time-distance type. But I'm taking almost all of August for a cross-country trek and to take another week and a half in the middle of September is too much. Plus it is quite expensive. If any great driver out there has some cash, I'd be willing to take the V.:welcome:

#5 · (Edited)
1st UPDATE

Hello everyone,

Sal was kind enough to make this a sticky.

I promised to send regular updates on the preparation of the car and during the race. Please keep coming back to this thread and get the latest news. By the way, all your comments are welcome.

So here it is, the first update on what we have been doing so far.

As you will know by now, the race starts September 11. Our car will be leaving to St. Johns on trailer about a week prior. Basically, she has to be race-ready by early September. Dave and I are flying in a few days before the race.

Our To-Do and Wish list:

1. Rear Wing (carbon fiber) þ details and pictures will follow
  2. Front splitter (carbon fiber) þ- details and pictures will follow
  3. Upgraded brake rotors and pads þ (almost) - details and pictures will follow
  4. Intake þ- details and pictures will follow
  5. Exhaust þ- details and pictures will follow
  6. Change shift knob þ- see my pics here: http://cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12443 and http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/sknob.html
  7. CAGs þ- see http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/cags.html
  8. Installed tow hooks þ- details and pictures will follow
  9. Get an extra tire pressure sensor (learned from One-Lap of America);)
  10. Rims & tires - undecided :confused:
  11. Short shifter - undecided :confused:
  12. Seat modification (contour side bolster for right arm)
  13. Lowering springs - undecided :confused:
  14. Shocks or coil-overs - undecided :confused:
  15. More HP – You can never have enough of those! Dyno charts will follow
  16. Rally computer - not yet installed
  17. Oil cooler- not yet installed
þ = finished project

Any other suggestions?

So far, we have been fortunate to find some great partners and sponsors and more are lining up. For now I would like to thank in particular:

www.MorePerformanceinc.com
www.JSPAmerica.com

www.HotRodScotts.com
www.KVRPerformance.com

www.cadillacforums.com

If you would like to become involved send me a PM (private message) or email targa@langsdorff(dot)com

#6 · (Edited)
By the way, all your comments are welcome.
Ok... here you go... :D :D

3. Upgraded brake rotors and pads
Are you making any progress on this?... I've been researching and calling lots of brake pad mfg's, but so far not making much progess, lots of confusion and conflicting info. I assume you know Porterfield will make custom pads for you in (almost) any material... I'd run PFC 01s... GREAT race pads - these win out over ALL the pads i've tried in the past few years, including: Hawk HPS, HP+, Black, Blue, HT-10; PFC 99, 01; Ferodo 2500, 3500; EBC Green; Pagid Orange; Porterfield R4-S, R-4. (MHO of course, as you stated in the other post, brake pads are a religious experience for most racers... so let's not go there :helpless: ;) )

10. Rims & tires - undecided
Wheels: CCW "track classic" version... May not be the best looking, but they are very light and very strong... I'm thinking 18x9 front, 18x10 rear, maybe 10.5 rear. Though John should be able to make any width you want. You should check if 17s will fit... maybe up front... *that* would be one light wheel! www.ccwheel.com

Tire Compound: Can you run race tires? or is that too dangerous given the "Street" driving? Not a real aggessive tire like a hoosier, but maybe a Toyo RA-1 (not sure if they make sizes that will work) or a Kuhmo? For street tires, given you dont have to worry about ride comfort, longivity, or wet traction, I vote: PS2 or GS-D3.

Tire Size: What about this: 255/40/18 front & 295/35/18 rear (both are same size ~26.2" - a bit shorted than stock). 295/35 is the Z06 rear. Fronts will fit, no idea if rears will fit... i think they should, there is a lot of space in the rear. This would be on 18x8.5 or 18.5x9 front; 18x10 rear.

13. Lowering springs - undecided
In addition to the springs already discussed on the forum, H&R now has a set www.hrsprings.com But you cant compete with the Mallet/Penske Double-adjustables w/coilovers :D Assuming you can set them up properly ;)

Any other suggestions?
What about an oil cooler? Dont know much this event is like 20-30 minutes of lapping on a track track, but if it is, you'll need one! (Z06 oil cooler install you might find helpful)

:worship: I am sooo jealous :worship:

#7 · (Edited)
2nd UPDATE

Exhaust update

Here it is.
Not a brand new idea, but unique in the CTS-V world. It’s basically an electric cutout called a power plate. You can keep your stock exhaust and at the switch of a button you get an “open” one. Actually, the center resonator is still in place.
I could have chosen one plate for each side, but for simplicity reason I prefer the combined one. I hope to get the dyno#s and maybe even a sound clip next week . For now enjoy the pics.

Oh, before I forget, the complete system including installation costs you less than $ 300. :bouncy:

Thanks McCord Power Plate www.mccordcg.com
By the way make sure you sign up for "Notification" for this thread so you don't miss any updates!

1-cutting holes, 2-fitting, 3-4flange, 5-8-final_painted

Attachments

#8 ·
Thanks Dreamin

Hi Dreamin,

Thanks for the comments.

So far my hesitation regarding rims/tires is mainly cost related. Getting a complete new set of 4 +2 spares could be pricy. Down the road, I may also want to further widen the track and need an even wider rim (more $!). Goodyear has a good deal for competitors, I am still looking into this.
When I was at Mosport track, the stock tires were not bad at all. R compounds are not allowed and I think are not of much benefit as they do not heat up fast enough for each leg.
Yes, definitely an oil cooler, I just forgot it on my list. Thanks for reminding.

#9 ·
I was going to enter until they told me I needed a full cage in my car and that pissed me off. Convertibles only need a roll bar so it makes no sense. They told me that the roof could collapse in on me with just a bar and on a convertible there is no roof to collapse in on you. I informed them that in order for a roof to collapse in on me there would have to be something pushing aweful hard on the other side and that a guy in a vert stood no chance at all. To this he told me if they required a vert to have a cage, they would have no verts racing.

If you ever get a chance to go, do it. It is beautiful country. Not much to do up there but get drunk with all the unemployed fishermen, but it is fun. My mother is from Newfoundland so I go there every couple years and do this. There is a ferry boat that is pretty reasonable.

On that ex. cut out. Try to locate as much of the wires/switches, etc away from the exhaust. They tend to burn up alot.

#10 ·
How are you gaining much of anything if the cut out is below the resonator and cats, which are restricting the heck out of it? Is it purely for a louder note? Call me dumb but I didn't think those monstrous mufflers really did much of the restriction in the V's system.

#11 ·
Hi Cal,

Your are right, removing the resonator is another option. I still have to see HP gains on the announced full cat-back systems. So for now, this was my plan B. I will have her on the dyno next week. Let's see. :)

And yes, we all want performance and sound. Let's face it, few would install an expensive cat-back that gains 5 or even 15 HP if it sounds lousy. ;)

#12 ·
That is a sweet set up Targa Guy. Let us know the gains. Will that damper get plugged with exhaust soot? How does it sound? I assume quite a bit of exhaust still travels through the existing pipes. How do I mark the thread that you will be updating on or is this it? I hope you keep posting pics during the transformation. You are the man:coolgleam making your V into a racer!!!
(WHERE IS THE BUTTON)?

#14 ·
Brake Update

Brake Update
We are in the process of upgrading the rotors and pads. They will be lighter and a bit more efficient. OE rotors front & rear weigh 11.3 kg each, the new ones from KVR weigh 7.9 kg each. This is a savings of 13.73 kg or 30.2 lbs. They can make them in Red, Blue or Black. We stay with black/black.
www.KVRPerformance.com is the proprietor and manufacturer of these rotors. I did quite a bit of investigation and found their products to be extremely well researched and designed. For example, the CTS-V SuperSport two piece rotor has strategically placed grooves at the inside of the hat called Velocity Channels, to funnel extra cooling air to the - always overlooked - outboard side of the disk, as well as lighten the assembly additionally. Hats are made of high-strength billet aluminum. Another advantage of two piece rotors is that there is less heat transfer into the bearings.
They will be bedded in with a new set of pads. I am still torn between Pagid and Hawk.

Attachments

#18 ·
Hi StealthV,

CTS-V Front Rotors
CHE015 Available Cross-Drilled or Gas-Slotted $247.00
CTS-V Rear Rotors
CHE016 Available Cross-Drilled or Gas-Slotted $208.00

Those prices are for the one piece OE style rotors.

The ones we are using are the much lighter two piece SuperSport version. You wint find them on the website yet.
They retail for US $895.00 per pair, $1790.00 for all four discs including either cross-drilling or gas-slotting and coloring of the hats in Blue, Red or Black.

Attachments

#19 ·
Dyno results

As promised, here are some quick dyno results:
  1. Eltrc. cutout closed, stock airfilter: HP = 327, Torque = 316
  2. Eltrc. cutout open, stock airfilter: HP = 330, Torque = 320
  3. Eltrc. cutout closed, MorePerformance air: HP = 335, Torque = 326
  4. Eltrc. cutout open, MorePerformance air: HP = 339, Torque = 328
The soundclip: (to be posted soon)
  1. cutout closed
  2. cutout open
  3. cutout open and MorePerformance airfilter
Sound is extracted and converted from my little digital still camera, so it's not HiFi but you'll get the idea:bouncy:

#21 ·
Silver Baron,
The black rotors are sick. I can't wait for more update and pictures. You deserve a medal. KING of the Forum. God bless you for sharing. Kick ass over there. I think a support fund is in order. I got $25 to start.
I may be in Nova Scotia near that time. What is it like for a spectator?
Thanks again and keep it comin', V-Love.

#22 ·
WOW!!! - Actual MONEY! :worship:
That’s something I did not expect. V-Love, I very much appreciate your offer.

While I could definitely use a race support fund, I would really like to use it to start a fund memory for our little daughter Anastasia von Langsdorff. She passed away at the age of 6 months after heart surgery trying to correct a congenital heart defect. I always wanted to make some further contribution to assist infant heart research.

:angel: So, let’s start the “Anastasia Heart Research Fund”. All donation will go to SickKids Hospital http://www.sickkids.on.ca. You can donate right online. Please check in Memory of Anastasia von Langsdorff. :angel:

To recognize the people who contributed, I will have them listed on the car during the race.

If you like more information email me targa@langsdorff(.)com or PM me for further details.

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

#23 ·
This is how our car will look; obviously design clues were taken from the V logo and the World Challenge cars, plus a bit of my own Silver Baron family crest.

Everyone contributing to the “Anastasia Heart Research Fund” will be listed on the right side of the V, while sponsor names will be in the left.

Attachments

#24 ·
Silver Baron,
Done Deal. $25 U.S. in loving memory of Anastasia Von Langsdorff it is. I will include her in my prayers as well. I too have every day pain from an aborted son :crying: . Anyway...are you Canadian??? Because you guys seem to have problems driving on American roads. Always going slow, blocking the left lane, ect,, ect... I hope you turn it up for the race!!! Please keep the pictures, part #'s, reviews of your modifications, technical info., and anything else interesting coming. Tell the team I said thanks. Sincerely and jokingly, V-LOVE.

#25 ·
Its funny you mention that, I hear the same about US drivers - no signal light when changing lanes or turning – going 40 in a 60 zone and 60 in a 40 zone. But not to worry, I recall similar things being said by German drivers regarding the Dutch or the English about the French. :lildevil:
I think the psychology behind it goes like this: If there is a person doing something wrong in front of you the first thing you may notice is his/her license plate. Other country - AHA! Other State - That’s it! But it could also be: other sex, other race, other car manufacturer, other bumper stickers, other whatever…. :rant2:
I have my own rule. I call it the M/M.
Doesn’t matter where they are from, how they look or what they drive.
Everybody going slower than me is a Moron - everybody going faster is a Maniac! :rolleyes:

BTW, we are a nicely mixed team. My navigator is from Texas and I am German presently living in Canada. But we will bring only our best attributes to the race. :coolgleam

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.