Shifter Install
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Shifter Install in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I would first like to thanks bacdoc, he performed about 90% of my install and it when very smooth. Any ...
    lmcgrew79 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS V, 2009 CTS 4, 2005 CTS V

Shifter Install

I would first like to thanks bacdoc, he performed about 90% of my install and it when very smooth. Any ideas on cutting down on the tranny noise. I went back in and installed dynomat around the the shaft where the boot meets, and dynomat on top of the foam pad. Neither helped, its old the way the shifter makes the noise, UUC bushing was installed, its seems to me the only thing that could be happening the noise is transfering though the actually shifter? I read on a post about adjusting the bushing closer to the shifter which ill try today. Any thoughts welcome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Re: Shifter Install

Quote Originally Posted by lmcgrew79 View Post
    I would first like to thanks bacdoc, he performed about 90% of my install and it when very smooth. ...
    All installs go smooth when someone else does 'em. .......... (j/k)

Seriously, though, I swear some of these installs end up being more quiet than others, and I'm not sure why that would be.

I helped Bigron with his B&M install a couple months back, and he noticed the increased sound level at first, then he seemed to adjust to it to the point that it didn't bother him at all. Personally, mine just does not make any noise at all (as other V owners who've driven it can confirm).

If you applied the Dynamat "properly" (<-- I don't know if there's a proper way, actually) and replaced the stock foam piece, then about the only thing left to do is turn up the radio, install some nice headers with hi-flo cats and a big B&B with x-pipe, and enjoy your new shifter. (I know that didn't help, did it?)
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

BacDoc is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Holden Shifter knob. :wink:

The noise has to be coming for the shaft itself, mine sounded just like yours before I added the new knob. After I compressed that thing on 95% of the noise was gone. I didn't use dynomat or change any of the foam out.

And by the way, my demands for getting your Dremel back have been made. IF you want to see it alive ever again I suggest you follow them.

Jayrcr3 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

My Katech shifter made a little bit of noise at first, but after a week or so, it loosened up and got quieter. The only way I notice any noise is if the radio is off and I apply pressure to the shifter, and it is pretty faint. Don't know what kind of shifter you purchased but you may want to give it some time before you worry to much about it.

ROG
    ROG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Infrared CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Jayrcr3 View Post
    My Katech shifter made a little bit of noise at first, but after a week or so, it loosened up and got quieter. The only way I notice any noise is if the radio is off and I apply pressure to the shifter, and it is pretty faint. Don't know what kind of shifter you purchased but you may want to give it some time before you worry to much about it.
    Exactly like my B&M!!

SFBayV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by lmcgrew79 View Post
    I would first like to thanks bacdoc, he performed about 90% of my install and it when very smooth. Any ideas on cutting down on the tranny noise. I went back in and installed dynomat around the the shaft where the boot meets, and dynomat on top of the foam pad. Neither helped, its old the way the shifter makes the noise, UUC bushing was installed, its seems to me the only thing that could be happening the noise is transfering though the actually shifter? I read on a post about adjusting the bushing closer to the shifter which ill try today. Any thoughts welcome.
    Hi. My apologies if I missed this, but I'm assuming that you installed the B&M shifter. The B&M shifter is machined from solid stock and isn't of two-piece construction. This is the cause of the noise that you're hearing and the installation of UUC poly bushings won't help isolate the noise. The function of the bushings is to increase firmness for more precise shifting. The UUC shifter and the second generation Katech shifter are of two-piece construction (the first design Katech was single-piece) and utilize isolation material to dampen noise and vibration. If my assumption on your brand of shifter is incorrect, check with the manufacturer.

Some users as Jayrcr3 and ROG did above, have reported that the noise emanating from the B&M shifter will dissipate over time and driving will be a much more tolerable experience.

Howard Sharf is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation

I've had the B&M for about 2 years. Remove the shift knob and put some dynamat on the top of the shifter itself. This will make it better but not as quiet as stock. A different knob may help but I haven't tried it. I also put some dynamat around the base of the shifter (under the boot) also and then zip tied some foam also. The noise is worth the better shifting.

AirCav is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V

Not what you want to hear but.....UUC shifter (or it's imitators). This issue is all over the archives.

Sorry. Hope it gets better with time.

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

My UUC is quiet as a mouse......but like Randy said, you'll never hear it over the 3" B&B

smoothq is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac cts-v

I just installed my B&M shifter this weekend and I took the time to grease every single thing I could and I used a diffterent kind of insulation not dynamat but better. My brother works at a gasket company and I was able to get cut offs of somekind of material that is about 3/16 thick I insulated the heck out of the shifter and under the plastic piece you put in over the shifter that has the four nuts that hold it down. Then I insulated the rest of the consul with this cool padding I got and sure enough I can only here it when I turn off the radio and only driving on a quiet road at slow speeds and leaning my head down at the shifter. So all I can say is its quiet, more quiet than what I was expecting. I had a girl riding with me and I had the radio off just chatting with her when I drove around and she didn't here a thing... Works great for me

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by smoothq View Post
    I can only here it when I turn off the radio and only driving on a quiet road at slow speeds and leaning my head down at the shifter. So all I can say is its quiet, more quiet than what I was expecting. I had a girl riding with me and I had the radio off just chatting with her when I drove around and she didn't here a thing... Works great for me
    She will hear it when her head is down there

smoothq is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac cts-v

Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    She will hear it when her head is down there
    Maybe.... Busted!!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.