Just put the V on the Dyno
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Just put the V on the Dyno in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hey guy, I've been lurking through the board for awhile now but I never posted. This is a great board! ...
    Stiff1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Cool Just put the V on the Dyno

Hey guy, I've been lurking through the board for awhile now but I never posted. This is a great board! Anyways, I took the V to Speed Inc. last night to get a baseline dyno run. It pulled 321.1rwhp on the second run. Then they added their new intake system and my horsepower jumped up to 335.8rwhp! I am extremely pleased with the system. I'll post my dyno sheet and a couple of pics a little later.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Brett is offline Watching the Watchers

Re: Just put the V on the Dyno

wow, nice gain from an intake...how much did it cost you?

Dreamin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 V

One more data point: 321.1rwhp

I think that it cost $179.00. 14.7rwhp increase for the money is awesome. They did a great job and were very professional. I can't wait to get more stuff done to the car.

benjet is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Stiff1
    Then they added their new intake system and my horsepower jumped up to 335.8rwhp!
    Their Intake??? Please tell ME (us) more!

-Ben

Their intake is one that they made for the GTO. They had one customer who had a V and asked if he could try it out. They sent it to him, but he told them that it didn't fit. My car was the first V that they actually had at their shop, and it only took the about 10 min. to get it put on. Overall I am very pleased with the look and performance of it. They don't usually post on this board, but the do post alot on ls1tech.

Great! Can you show us pics? Did they have to modify the GTO kit to fit in the V?

Just looks like a big *ss K&N...

http://www.ls1speed.com/pdf/gtoinduction.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamin
    Just looks like a big *ss K&N...
    Yes I can see that (had seen the pic before). I was more interested in the smooth tube from the filter to the Throttle Body - does this fit into the V without any modification? You couldn't pay me to put a K&N on my car - I'd have swapped the filter off for something else.

-Ben

rabid is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Is there any wall to keep the hot air from the engine from getting sucked into the filter?

Quote Originally Posted by rabid
    Is there any wall to keep the hot air from the engine from getting sucked into the filter?
    Is there evidence that a wall reduces intake temps?

rabid is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by benjet
    Is there evidence that a wall reduces intake temps?
    My friend has a cold air intake on his 1995 M3, and has the sealed wall (looks very similar to More Performance's).

I asked him this same question a few weeks ago when I was debating on whether or not to buy More's CAIK. He whipped out his laser themometer thingy and with the car running at temp, he popped the hood and did temp readings on each side of the wall. I don't remember exactly what the temps were but I think there was a difference of like 25-30 degrees (I think). So there was a somewhat substantial difference in temps; big enough to change HP-I don't know).

Quote Originally Posted by rabid
    My friend has a cold air intake on his 1995 M3, and has the sealed wall (looks very similar to More Performance's).

I asked him this same question a few weeks ago when I was debating on whether or not to buy More's CAIK. He whipped out his laser themometer thingy and with the car running at temp, he popped the hood and did temp readings on each side of the wall. I don't remember exactly what the temps were but I think there was a difference of like 25-30 degrees (I think). So there was a somewhat substantial difference in temps; big enough to change HP-I don't know).
    I can see that.

Just as an FYI for every +/-7 degF in temp change is +/-1 HP or thereabouts.

But that test actually showed very little, because you weren't moving! I've done similar tests with a probe stapped to the air filter (hood closed during normal vehicle operation) under normal driving conditions, with a walled CAIK then with the box removed - once in motion there wasn't much difference. In some cases the air flowed better bc there wasn't a box to restrain the intake (but that really depends on where the air comes from and where it can go to in an engine bay). I'm going to try to get the air from farther DOWN in the engine bay and see if that does anything.

I just don't see the huge impact of the box (esp a metal walled one where the metal can get warm, now an ABS or CF one I would try) - but to each their own.

-Ben

Is this better:

globed70 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by benjet
    I can see that.

Just as an FYI for every +/-7 degF in temp change is +/-1 HP or thereabouts.

-Ben
    Actually, should be closer to 1% HP for every 10degF temperature... 4 HP...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.