Cadillac Owners Forum banner
36K views 225 replies 22 participants last post by  thebigjimsho 
#1 ·
Ok, I've read through Big Jim's entire Header Install and still have some questions. I got B&B headers on the way (bought the ones on classifieds) and ordered UUC MM's from Luke to change while I'm down there. Got some questions....

1) Has anyone used wrap on their headers?
The ones I bought are wrapped. Should I pull the tape off or leave it on? If I pull the tape off will they look like shit? Do headers make engine temps rise that much?
2) What sparkplugs should I use if I change em out?
3) Should I use the stock manifold gaskets already on the engine, or get new OEM gaskets?
4) Should I get new metal gaskets in between the headers and my B&B catback..or will the ones I'm using now be ok to reuse?
5) Studs or Original Bolts? <- seems to be a mixed bag on this one

#43 ·
Re: Header Questions

The title of this thread should be F@&*(#)$ BADA$$!!!!

OMG......my V is a MONSTER!!!!!
It sounds soooooooooo good! It was actually pretty easy to get the headers in. I used a jack stand to hold em up from underneath, then just grabbed em up top and started the bolts. The most time consuming thing was I had to go to Lowe's to get some new bolts cuz the manifolds had studs and the headers didn't. It wants to go alot now....I can't explain it...the car seems more "eager"? I started it up with just headers once....sounded like the baddest Harley on earth! :thumbsup:
With the B&B xpipe and catback.....I don't think I've ever heard a more glorious sound! It sounds more "metallic" (no not metallica they suck now) Like how a mustang with flowmasters sounds.....but BETTER of course!
I'll get somebody with a video camera to post some clips.

The new UUC MM's make the V feel extremely Solid!! From downshifting from like 6th to 4th, the body used to lurch a bit...now it just takes it with ease. Very well grounded. Even cornering seems better (prolly cuz the engine was leaning/pulling on the old torn up mount) I'm in Love again! :)
Vibrations I was feeling at 65mph...GONE!!!
Death Shimmy on shut off...GONE!!!
Pull up next to the V, light turns green and I'm....GONE!!!
Power feels more transplanted to the ground (more immediate)
I would suggest this to ANYONE who is on the fence about it, or if you have a broken mount now. You will just break the stock mount(s) again...so fix it and forget it! Call Luke and buy a pair....you won't regret it!

I go to EPP monday afternoon for the tune, so we'll see how much HP I get out of the headers/tune. I left the header wrap on since the spark plug wire boots were sitting right next to the header ports. I'll keep an eye on the wires to make sure they don't melt. If they do, I'll probably go with Taylor wires.

I :worship: my V all over again!!!

#46 ·
#44 ·

Glad to see you got everything in alright and that you're lovin it. As for the loudness you feel like cats would have made a big difference? Have you done a hwy speed test for drone? I will be pulling the trigger on some headers in the near future and I want to get it right.

#45 ·

I got hi flow cats that are part of the B&B headers. They definitely flow MUCH better than the factory cats. I started up my exhaust: once with just the stock manifolds/cats, once with just headers/hi lfow cats. Compared to just the headers/hi flow cats, the stockers weren't loud at all!

I got up to 70mph this morning.....there is a drone at low rpms (like if you were in 6th at 40 mph) but I have the xpipe. If I switch back over to the resonator, I'm sure that would go away. But I like the way it sounds, and like the HP gains of the xpipe. Even though I'm a B&B guy, get the Kooks ones from Luke since they are on sale and they come with hi flow cats.....gets headers / you will NOT be sorry!!!

#49 ·

... I started up my exhaust: once with just the stock manifolds/cats, once with just headers/hi lfow cats. Compared to just the headers/hi flow cats, the stockers weren't loud at all! ...
That's been my contention all along.

It's the OEM cats that significantly subdue the sound. The hi-flow cats (couple to the headers) are what make for such glorious music! :cloud9:

#47 ·

You should get a nice jump with the tune.
Enjoy

#53 ·

I am really getting the itch to put the X pipe back on........:eek:
Do it! I want to hear the full unrestricted BB setup. :stirpot:

#57 ·

I have both systems;

B&B headers (2nd generation), cats and resonator.

Then I have the track version: no cats, X pipe.

I haven't set it up with cats and the X pipe yet.

Maybe if I have a few beers.

I do have a sound clip of it idling with no cats and the X pipe.
Let's hear it! Where is the link?

#59 ·

Ya I want to hear it too! Cuz I have the hi flow cats on, and xpipe....sounds AMAZING
When do we get to hear your set up?

#60 ·

OK, I am uploading it now and will post a link.

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_ed.../my_videos2?pi=0&ps=20&sf=added&sa=0&sq=&dm=2

It is a "walk around" at idle, so you can set the volume for a reference by the engine noise when the camera was at the front of the car.

There is no WOT because the maggie makes it LOUDER.;)

The best part was sitting there in traffic and the look on peoples faces when they realized what and where that BITCHIN sound was coming from. :D

The worst part was getting a ticket for "excessive noise".

There ain't nothing wrong with my car bro.......:p

#64 ·

I know, but You Tube says it may take awhile to post.

I just uploaded it.

Works now.
That's a nice sound. Definitely a lot different than the Kooks/Magnaflow that I'm used to. I hope someone posts a few seconds of WOT revs. (lollygagger8 or heavy)

#65 ·

I haven't had the KOOKS, so I can't comment.

I did have a CORSA setup.

This is my second B&B as the first system was headers and integral cats, which they then changed to a collector and cat back.

I sold the originals and got the 2nd gen "long tube" type B&B.

The system really compliments the maggie in terms of "breathing".

Fabrication is first rate.

With this setup I had friends swear to me they could hear it a quarter of a mile off!:eek:

Guess that's why I got the ticket!

Was fun while it lasted.

I wonder how loud it will be with the cats and X pipe..........:alchi:

#66 ·

I haven't had the KOOKS, so I can't comment.

I did have a CORSA setup.

This is my second B&B as the first system was headers and integral cats, which they then changed to a collector and cat back.

I sold the originals and got the 2nd gen "long tube" type B&B.

The system really compliments the maggie in terms of "breathing".

Fabrication is first rate.

With this setup I had friends swear to me they could hear it a quarter of a mile off!:eek:

Guess that's why I got the ticket!

Was fun while it lasted.

I wonder how loud it will be with the cats and X pipe..........:alchi:
With my setup I can keep it quiet with shifts around 2K rpms. Have not been nabbed for excessive noise or excessive accelerating. Fingers crossed!

#67 ·

Hopefully my friend with the Camera will come over soon. My idle sounds deep like CTSV 510's....VERY deep and metallic. I'll make sure to get some WOT sounds too. There is nothing that sounds like B&B, and I'll agree with heavy....craftsmanship is A++++

There is a Diner in town that all the hotrods go to and I finally went there with the V. EVERYBODY came up to me and asked me what it was, and what exhaust it had! Everybody loves the sound.....almost as much as me!

Getting it tuned by EPP today!

#68 ·

OMG!!!! GO GET B&B HEADERS/TUNE RIGHT NOW!!!! :worship:

Went to EPP yesterday to get my tune........are you ready for this?!?!?

+40 HP!!!!! I thought my base was 340 last time, but it was 338.....after the 4 pulls on the dyno and Brent (the baddest dude on the planet) doing the tuning.....
378 RWHP / 366 TQ!!!!

B&B rules!! Heavy, go put your xpipe back on! I am on :cloud9: !!!!!!!!!

P.S. they have a MUSTANG Dyno that is known to be a little conservative

#72 ·

Is that 378hp and 366tq? Nice

#74 ·

Nice numbers.

I don't know if I can wait till Thanksgiving to get my headers on. Are those numbers consistent with what other folks with B&B have seen? I have Corsa catback, so I am going Kooks route for the convenience of fit.

Ted, why do you think his numbers are so different from yours?

#75 ·

Nice numbers.

I don't know if I can wait till Thanksgiving to get my headers on. Are those numbers consistent with what other folks with B&B have seen? I have Corsa catback, so I am going Kooks route for the convenience of fit.

Ted, why do you think his numbers are so different from yours?
The only things that I can think of are:

1. Could I have had a bad batch of gas in the car when I got dynod?
2. My airfilter wasn't freshly cleaned.
3. The ambient temperature was different.

I hate to say it, but there is just no way a first gen set of B&B headers with built in cats made more HP then a set of Kook's long tubes based on the headers alone. The 3" vs. 2.5" exhaust should not have made more then a 1-2 Hp difference on a NA car.

I am going to gut the cats so it still looks like they are there (for emissions testing purposes) and go get re-tuned by Brent.

#76 · (Edited)

Ted, why is there no way?
EPP's numbers are SAE (weather corrected) same as yours were....so the temp isn't going to make a 20hp difference. I'm sure the 1/2" bigger exhaust has a little to with it though. Maybe B&B's flow that much better than the Kook's? I don't know....but Brent is the man at tuning (you know this) so I'm sure that has alot to do with it. PLUS, I have the xpipe on there.....obviously makes a huge diff.

#78 ·

Ted, it looks like your AFR was just slightly more lean

#85 ·
Oh, I see where your going with this. That's between you and Ted.
Keep it off the main forum, some of us still like tits

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.