Cadillac Owners Forum banner
36K views 225 replies 22 participants last post by  thebigjimsho 
#1 ·
Ok, I've read through Big Jim's entire Header Install and still have some questions. I got B&B headers on the way (bought the ones on classifieds) and ordered UUC MM's from Luke to change while I'm down there. Got some questions....

1) Has anyone used wrap on their headers?
The ones I bought are wrapped. Should I pull the tape off or leave it on? If I pull the tape off will they look like shit? Do headers make engine temps rise that much?
2) What sparkplugs should I use if I change em out?
3) Should I use the stock manifold gaskets already on the engine, or get new OEM gaskets?
4) Should I get new metal gaskets in between the headers and my B&B catback..or will the ones I'm using now be ok to reuse?
5) Studs or Original Bolts? <- seems to be a mixed bag on this one

#2 ·
Re: Header Questions

1) I wrapped my header collectors to dampen some of the ticking noise from the valvetrain. If your headers are already wrapped and the wrap looks like it is still in good shape leave it.

2) Stock plugs are good for anything but FI or Nitrous. You should take them out for the header install so you will be able to get a good look at if they are still ok or not.

3) Stock manifold gaskets are good. I used the Percy's Seal-4-Good gaskets and have no leaks on mine, but Lindsay is using the stock ones on their installs with no leaks.

4) Whether you use the OEM or the Percy's definitely get new gaskets. It is work the $20 for the peace of mind.

5) Stock manifold bolts are completely up to the task. Put a little blue loc-tite on them and reuse them. If you want to make the job a little easier or think you will install/remove your headers often get a set of ARP Header studs.

Hopefully that will get you started on your journey. Now post those baseline numbers!!!

#3 ·

The ticking was that loud? I know headers amplify valvetrain noise but hope it doesn't drive me nuts!

I have 340rwhp with what I have now on EPP's mustang. So I better get 14+ outta these things to keep up with ya!

I guess I'll have to check the plugs when I pull em.

#9 ·

Blue loctite, OE gaskets, and 18 lb. ft. of torque has kept all the ones I have done quiet. OE bolts are okay but I usually use the ones that come in the Kooks kits since they are new and clean. The OE ones are rusty looking and have loctite on them that has to be cleaned off.
Studs might make the install easier, that would be personal choice. It can be tricky to line up the gaskets, hold the headers in place and get the bolts started.

If they are taped I'd leave it.
I wouldn't mess with the plugs either until you get close to 100k, the platinums are good and many aftermarkets don't burn well in GM engines, the heat ranges rarely ever match up right and you get weak flame fronts.

#11 ·

Did any of you have to remove the starter in order to install the headers?

I think I'll go with the bolts (save $ over the studs) and since they're wrapped they won't be that pretty to look at anyways lol. I can have a buddy hold em from underneath and I can line up the bolts/gaskets.

Heavy: my gaskets from manifolds to catback are copper, but I've taken the exhaust off a couple times. Think I should contact B&B and get new ones?

Skull: my base numbers (with CAI and catback were 324hp/317tq) never got it dyno'd all stock.

#14 ·

Ya I guess we'll see if Brent hooks up the good tune or not! I'll be doing the UUC MM's at the same time, so it'll feel like a new car! Woooo!
Headers got here today, but MM's don't arrive til Monday <- f'n boooo.....so it looks like next weekend it's on.

#24 ·

I think my headers might be in the first stages of leaking. Ive been looking for the "oily" color change around the seal but its not that bad. I had them done by Lindsey and they did a great job however I think the Kooks bolts are just not the ones you want to keep on forever. Since I didnt do them myself and actually got someone to do it that knew what they were doing I havent had any wire burns or anything else. I have never used a heat sock either. That being said i'm done with the mods... yeah I know, but seriously I just bought a bike and the difference is ridiculous.

#25 ·

I think my headers might be in the first stages of leaking. Ive been looking for the "oily" color change around the seal but its not that bad. I had them done by Lindsey and they did a great job however I think the Kooks bolts are just not the ones you want to keep on forever. Since I didnt do them myself and actually got someone to do it that knew what they were doing I havent had any wire burns or anything else. I have never used a heat sock either. That being said i'm done with the mods... yeah I know, but seriously I just bought a bike and the difference is ridiculous.
What you get?

#29 ·

I have an R6, it used to cost $4 to fill it, now it is substantially more.
I need to ride mine again for a good day sometime before the end of the year!

#34 · (Edited)

I bought the B&B headers w/ the cats...and you are right, I don't think I'll need extensions (but we'll see)

I got the strut brace/coils/plugs/O2s/ and stock manifolds off last night! I started at 6pm and quit about 9:15...so about 3 hrs total after setup then clean up.
FYI: with just the ramps under the front and rear tires, there is NOT enough clearance to pull the stock manifolds/cats out. So I had to jack up the front end as high as my jack would go (with a piece of wood even) to get enough clearance. The PITA was having to hold the manifold up with one hand, and unscrew the last bolt holding it in so it wouldn't come crashing down.

$hitty cell phone pic....

Surprisingly, my spark plug wires came out easier than I expected!

So I'm going back in after work today and going after the MM's and then the headers.

Brent @ EPP said he can get me in on monday to get it tuned up, so I'll keep ya posted

#36 ·

So I'm going back in after work today and going after the MM's and then the headers.

Brent @ EPP said he can get me in on monday to get it tuned up, so I'll keep ya posted
Congrats! You will LOVE your car even more once the headers are on. :cool2:

#35 ·

Got the old MM's and new UUC mounts in last night.....whatta PITA job!! Here's a pic of the drivers side mount...the top completely seperated from the rest of the mount. The passenger side was fine.
Took me about 4 hours total since the old manifolds were already off....plus I was using hand tools. I don't know how they do it with the manifolds/headers on.....that is a TIGHT fit in there!

Headers going on tonight!

#38 ·

Ya just the drivers side was bad (pretty f'n bad since the top ripped off completely) the passenger side was fine. Most people's driver side MM's go bad first. Shutdown definitely had vibes....started getting a weird vibe at around 65mph up front, and I just had my tires balanced last week and it was still vibrating......I'm thinking this will help that as well.

Look for a fluid leak around the bottom of the MM. It looks greenish in color. After mine had been exposed to air/water the fluid was more of a brown color though. I noticed the leak at first on the side of the oil pan since it was so close....don't mistake that for an oil leak!

#39 ·

How much fluid will leak out that mother? If it has been bad for while, should most/all the fluid have leaked out and I might not be able to see any evidence? Thanks for your info on this as I am doing my headers over Thanksgiving and if I have bad MM I will be wanting to do that at the same time as you are doing.

Man are the stock headers ugly. You have any problems with stuck bolts? Use any penetrating spray?

#40 ·

How much fluid will leak out that mother? If it has been bad for while, should most/all the fluid have leaked out and I might not be able to see any evidence? Thanks for your info on this as I am doing my headers over Thanksgiving and if I have bad MM I will be wanting to do that at the same time as you are doing.

Man are the stock headers ugly. You have any problems with stuck bolts? Use any penetrating spray?
There is quite a bit of fluid in those. If the mount is only ripped up top though, the fluid will only leak so much. Gravity/weight of the engine should keep the rest in. Mine was ripped all the way around the top and still about a 1/4 ounce came out when I turned it upside down.

If you are going to change out the manifolds with headers, I would suggest doing the UUC MM's while you are there. Much easier w/ exhaust off. You might not see any traces of leakage yet but eventually at least one of your MM's will go bad. With all the good talk about the UUC's you can't go wrong.

When you do the headers, the header bolts are 13mm. None of my bolts were stuck too hard, and didn't need any pb blaster. And ya headers are 10x sexier than the manifolds, ha! Ewill says they use blue loctite on the bolts when you reapply em though and 18 ft lbs of torque! Get new OEM manifold gaskets too, and wear gloves! (bloody knuckles)

Let me know if you decide to change your MM's and I'll help you if you get stuck anywhere.

#41 ·

Sounds good, I will try to get in there this weekend and see if I can spot any fluids.

On a different note. I am originally from Auburn. Back in the day I used to play myself a little bass and the guys I played with went on to form Pheen when I went off to school (those basdids kept rockin in the free world while i went off to hit the books). Not too many V owners in NE Indiana. I am a lil unhappy that I had to move away when I started to do my mods, with EPP being so close. My dad still lives up there and I will be there around x-mass time. I will be sans V since Jax to NE Indiana is a little bit of a haul and my V refuses to touch snow.

Good luck with the rest of your install and be sure to keep the pics/video coming.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.