Headers - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Headers in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; My Kooks included an extension. And, "Yeah," you'll need it....
    rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Re: Header Questions

My Kooks included an extension.

And, "Yeah," you'll need it.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

lollygagger8 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

I bought the used B&B's off classifieds....so I'm going to need to get extensions.

Anybody know the best place to get em (e.i. cheapest) and how long will I need? 12" or 24" ?

terminal Velocity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Which B&B did you get? The ones with cats don't need extensions, I believe.

I bought the B&B headers w/ the cats...and you are right, I don't think I'll need extensions (but we'll see)

I got the strut brace/coils/plugs/O2s/ and stock manifolds off last night! I started at 6pm and quit about 9:15...so about 3 hrs total after setup then clean up.
    FYI: with just the ramps under the front and rear tires, there is NOT enough clearance to pull the stock manifolds/cats out. So I had to jack up the front end as high as my jack would go (with a piece of wood even) to get enough clearance. The PITA was having to hold the manifold up with one hand, and unscrew the last bolt holding it in so it wouldn't come crashing down.

$hitty cell phone pic....

Surprisingly, my spark plug wires came out easier than I expected!

So I'm going back in after work today and going after the MM's and then the headers.

Brent @ EPP said he can get me in on monday to get it tuned up, so I'll keep ya posted

Got the old MM's and new UUC mounts in last night.....whatta PITA job!! Here's a pic of the drivers side mount...the top completely seperated from the rest of the mount. The passenger side was fine.
    Took me about 4 hours total since the old manifolds were already off....plus I was using hand tools. I don't know how they do it with the manifolds/headers on.....that is a TIGHT fit in there!

Headers going on tonight!

whisler151 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor

Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    So I'm going back in after work today and going after the MM's and then the headers.

Brent @ EPP said he can get me in on monday to get it tuned up, so I'll keep ya posted
    Congrats! You will LOVE your car even more once the headers are on.

CadiBlk is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Silver '05 V

Did you only have one bad MM? How much shimmy shake did you have? I have the shutdown wiggle and some low idle waggle, but I have been crediting that to the torque monster that lives under my hood.

Ya just the drivers side was bad (pretty f'n bad since the top ripped off completely) the passenger side was fine. Most people's driver side MM's go bad first. Shutdown definitely had vibes....started getting a weird vibe at around 65mph up front, and I just had my tires balanced last week and it was still vibrating......I'm thinking this will help that as well.

Look for a fluid leak around the bottom of the MM. It looks greenish in color. After mine had been exposed to air/water the fluid was more of a brown color though. I noticed the leak at first on the side of the oil pan since it was so close....don't mistake that for an oil leak!

How much fluid will leak out that mother? If it has been bad for while, should most/all the fluid have leaked out and I might not be able to see any evidence? Thanks for your info on this as I am doing my headers over Thanksgiving and if I have bad MM I will be wanting to do that at the same time as you are doing.

Man are the stock headers ugly. You have any problems with stuck bolts? Use any penetrating spray?

Quote Originally Posted by CadiBlk View Post
    How much fluid will leak out that mother? If it has been bad for while, should most/all the fluid have leaked out and I might not be able to see any evidence? Thanks for your info on this as I am doing my headers over Thanksgiving and if I have bad MM I will be wanting to do that at the same time as you are doing.

Man are the stock headers ugly. You have any problems with stuck bolts? Use any penetrating spray?
    There is quite a bit of fluid in those. If the mount is only ripped up top though, the fluid will only leak so much. Gravity/weight of the engine should keep the rest in. Mine was ripped all the way around the top and still about a 1/4 ounce came out when I turned it upside down.

If you are going to change out the manifolds with headers, I would suggest doing the UUC MM's while you are there. Much easier w/ exhaust off. You might not see any traces of leakage yet but eventually at least one of your MM's will go bad. With all the good talk about the UUC's you can't go wrong.

When you do the headers, the header bolts are 13mm. None of my bolts were stuck too hard, and didn't need any pb blaster. And ya headers are 10x sexier than the manifolds, ha! Ewill says they use blue loctite on the bolts when you reapply em though and 18 ft lbs of torque! Get new OEM manifold gaskets too, and wear gloves! (bloody knuckles)

Let me know if you decide to change your MM's and I'll help you if you get stuck anywhere.

Sounds good, I will try to get in there this weekend and see if I can spot any fluids.

On a different note. I am originally from Auburn. Back in the day I used to play myself a little bass and the guys I played with went on to form Pheen when I went off to school (those basdids kept rockin in the free world while i went off to hit the books). Not too many V owners in NE Indiana. I am a lil unhappy that I had to move away when I started to do my mods, with EPP being so close. My dad still lives up there and I will be there around x-mass time. I will be sans V since Jax to NE Indiana is a little bit of a haul and my V refuses to touch snow.

Good luck with the rest of your install and be sure to keep the pics/video coming.

No shit!? I've heard of Pheen before. I'm the singer in PLOW.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yhayHWB6Qk&feature=related"]YouTube - Plow playing "Before I Forget" by Slipknot[/ame]
    You'll have to hit me up when you come back for the holidays....we'll go catch some brews!!

Ya I hear on the snow......my V will be put up as well, and the Jeep gets the nod in the winter!

The title of this thread should be F@&*(#)$ BADA$$!!!!

OMG......my V is a MONSTER!!!!!
    It sounds soooooooooo good! It was actually pretty easy to get the headers in. I used a jack stand to hold em up from underneath, then just grabbed em up top and started the bolts. The most time consuming thing was I had to go to Lowe's to get some new bolts cuz the manifolds had studs and the headers didn't. It wants to go alot now....I can't explain it...the car seems more "eager"? I started it up with just headers once....sounded like the baddest Harley on earth!
    With the B&B xpipe and catback.....I don't think I've ever heard a more glorious sound! It sounds more "metallic" (no not metallica they suck now) Like how a mustang with flowmasters sounds.....but BETTER of course!
    I'll get somebody with a video camera to post some clips.

The new UUC MM's make the V feel extremely Solid!! From downshifting from like 6th to 4th, the body used to lurch a bit...now it just takes it with ease. Very well grounded. Even cornering seems better (prolly cuz the engine was leaning/pulling on the old torn up mount) I'm in Love again!
    Vibrations I was feeling at 65mph...GONE!!!
    Death Shimmy on shut off...GONE!!!
    Pull up next to the V, light turns green and I'm....GONE!!!
    Power feels more transplanted to the ground (more immediate)
    I would suggest this to ANYONE who is on the fence about it, or if you have a broken mount now. You will just break the stock mount(s) again...so fix it and forget it! Call Luke and buy a pair....you won't regret it!

I go to EPP monday afternoon for the tune, so we'll see how much HP I get out of the headers/tune. I left the header wrap on since the spark plug wire boots were sitting right next to the header ports. I'll keep an eye on the wires to make sure they don't melt. If they do, I'll probably go with Taylor wires.

I my V all over again!!!

Glad to see you got everything in alright and that you're lovin it. As for the loudness you feel like cats would have made a big difference? Have you done a hwy speed test for drone? I will be pulling the trigger on some headers in the near future and I want to get it right.

I got hi flow cats that are part of the B&B headers. They definitely flow MUCH better than the factory cats. I started up my exhaust: once with just the stock manifolds/cats, once with just headers/hi lfow cats. Compared to just the headers/hi flow cats, the stockers weren't loud at all!

I got up to 70mph this morning.....there is a drone at low rpms (like if you were in 6th at 40 mph) but I have the xpipe. If I switch back over to the resonator, I'm sure that would go away. But I like the way it sounds, and like the HP gains of the xpipe. Even though I'm a B&B guy, get the Kooks ones from Luke since they are on sale and they come with hi flow cats.....gets headers / you will NOT be sorry!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.