Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Everything I ever wanted to know about a Maggie,,,and your gonna tell me!!!

56K views 477 replies 42 participants last post by  deedubb 
#1 ·
After months of you guys pushing me, rubbing it in my face, and telling me how much I needed it, I finally got the Maggie. There goes my bike money....
It should be here Wednesday, and I plan on starting right away. In fact, I'm gonna do a few things ahead of time.
At least two of us jumped on this deal, so don't be shy if I missed a question.
1. Any tips, tricks, or things I need to look out for while doing the install? It seems like an easy job, but with your help, it'll be like I've done it before.
2. Do I really need to take off the nose?
3. Five gallons of coolant enough?
4. Let's talk about the Magnavolt. I know they were a problem, but haven't heard anything in the year I've owned my V. Problem solved?
I'll take extra care while grounding it. If it dies, will the car run at all? DON'T wanna get towed.
That said, I think Randy has bigger injectors, with no Magnavolt. Is it worth doing this, down the road, along with the Magnavolt?
5. Any spares I should buy (hoses, clamps,,,)?

???? Thought I'd have more questions.
Thanks guys

Tony

See less See more
#183 ·
Question on Maggie uninstall:

I'm getting ready to remove this thing (fun fun!). For those of you who have removed your maggie - what is the best way to relieve the pressure in the fuel system? The old intake manifold had a pressure release tab, but I don't see anything like that on the s/c manifold.

Hopefully the answer isn't to just use lots of towels and remove the connections very slowly. If it is which connection do you think is the best for doing that with the least spill?

#187 ·
A replacement was what I was thinking too. That, of course, would only work if they have another remanufactured maggie in stock. Then what's to say that that one doesn't have the same bad bearings that this one has.

We'll see, I'm going out now to start unplugging and unbolting things. :mad:

#188 ·
I would love for them to send a replacement! But they already turned someone down on that. Still, I will push for that. I hope they're willing to do a little more, since these were shipped out broken.

#194 ·
Number 1: Yes your supercharger sounds like it has an issue and for that I personally apologize.

Number 2: These were tested before they were sent out, so NONE were shipped out broken..... Is it possible that the box was damaged in shipping? I should ask about potential customer install issues as well. Do some research we are not a fly by night company, and I am a man of my word and have ALWAYS stood behind what I sell.

Call Monday and speak with My-Self or David Gonzalez. This will be taken care of.

Getting on the forum and beating your proverbial web chest will get you absolutely nothing. Picking up the phone and calling will get you the world.

#189 ·
Best possible situation for you guys at this stage would be for them to overnight a replacement maggie immediately and a call tag for the "old" maggie. That way, you're only out your time to remove and reinstall the unit not to mention the inconvenience.

Next best thing would be for you to provide credit info so they feel secure in sending one out to you then for the "charge" to be credited back once they receive the defective unit, then for you to be reimbursed for the cost of shipping the bad one.

Further down the list would be for you guys to either get stuck for some shipping costs and/or a several-day period of time before a replacement unit arrives thus depriving you of the use of your car. This one certainly would leave a bad taste, and I can't believe Magnuson would do this.

Those are just a few of the several possible senarios.

Let's watch and see how Magnuson handles this.

Lot of eyes watching. :suspense:

#192 ·
Best possible situation for you guys at this stage would be for them to overnight a replacement maggie immediately and a call tag for the "old" maggie. That way, you're only out your time to remove and reinstall the unit not to mention the inconvenience.

Next best thing would be for you to provide credit info so they feel secure in sending one out to you then for the "charge" to be credited back once they receive the defective unit, then for you to be reimbursed for the cost of shipping the bad one.

Further down the list would be for you guys to either get stuck for some shipping costs and/or a several-day period of time before a replacement unit arrives thus depriving you of the use of your car. This one certainly would leave a bad taste, and I can't believe Magnuson would do this.

Those are just a few of the several possible senarios.

Let's watch and see how Magnuson handles this.

Lot of eyes watching. :suspense:
Maybe they could overnight a replacement to Tom right away. Then when he sends his back, I'd be willing to wait for that one to get fixed, and sent to me. Then I'll swap them out and send mine back. It would save them $$$ on overnighting two Maggies back and forth.
That is, if it's good for Tom, and Magnuson agrees to send him a "lowner". Hopefully, mine holds up. I don't have to drive it much, but I don't have anyplace to leave it for a few week without being moved.
That being said, I think they should send out a couple units to us. Just to make thing right on sending out four bad units in three months.
We'll see.

Good luck guys.

The problem with a replacement is exactly what was said.

This is why it is called MOD HELL.

That you modify your only means of transportation is an invitation to a problem. I think that is a Murphy Law.
I understand a mod that ends up breaking, or messing up something else on the car. I'm upset because these were shipped out already broken. This is not a one-in-a-million thing. I think Magnuson should go the extra mile to make this right.
I'm just blowing off a little steam. Sure they will try to do what they can. I just hope, between the three parties involved, we can come to an agreement that gets our cars back in an acceptable time frame.
Fingers are crossed.

Tony

#191 ·
Well, I did find the fuel pressure relief valve - it's on the passenger side fuel rail somewhere in the middle. (In case you're looking Tony)

It was quite easy to remove the maggie since there is only a couple connections to unplug. She's off and ready to travel back out west.

The V is in its home in the driveway for an undetermined amount of time.

Hey, when the maggie gets back it'll be like Christmas all over again! :)

...almost...

#193 ·
Hey, can someone post a video of how the Maggie should sound? I'd like to compare, and it may be helpfull in the future.
Thanks

Tony

#200 ·
I spoke to David @ Magnuson this morning - he is sending me a 2nd Day air shipping label to get the maggie back to them. He also said that they would fix it and ship it back the same day that they receive it, which means that I may have it back by this weekend. I'm figuring Monday would be the latest if they don't send for a Saturday delivery. So there's only a couple days here where I have to arrange for a ride to work.

They were expecting my call this morning since Brian obviously is aware of the situation. I am so far happy with what they're doing for me, as I was fearing that this would be a several week process. It is really nice to see a manufacturer stand behind their product, and especially having a company representative contributing to this forum and responding to our questions and concerns.

I'll let you all know as soon as it's back and sitting back under my hood, where it belongs! :thumbsup:

Tom

#201 ·
That's great Tom :thumbsup:
Glad to hear they're trying to minimize your "loss".

My story? HAH! After a ROUGH morning at work, I tried to call Jeff. My damn phone doesn't work :banghead: yadda yadda,,,Tmobile bs,,,yadda
I can't call Cali from work, so I gotta wait till later :nono:
I was thinking of doing what Randy said, and give them a deposit on a second S/C so I don't have down time. Doubt they could do that though.

How long did it take you to remove? Lost a lot of coolant?

Tony

#203 ·
How long did it take you to remove? Lost a lot of coolant?

Tony
It took no more than an hour to remove, including a lot of time spent re-labeling connections just to ease my obsessive-compulsiveness. I did have to call a neighbor over to help lift it off, but overall it was very simple.

Just the fuel injector electrical connections, ignition pack connections, IAT/MAP, a couple hoses and of course unbolting the throttle body. I was able to leave all the TB connections attached.

Not a drop of coolant spilled - I corked the two main intercooler hoses as soon as I pulled them off, but no coolant came out. The system may have been a little low, I'm not sure, but no spills.

The fuel, on the other hand, there was plenty of that. :lol: Make sure you find the pressure release valve on the passenger side fuel rail, as mine had much more pressure built up that the stock one did coming off.

Good luck Tony! Magnuson will take care of us!

#202 ·
Here is a question for the Blown Chevy.

I wish I had pictures, but I don't, so please visualize the three issues I have with items located too close to the carbon fiber drive/shaft/driveshaft, etc...:

1) Hose clamp for coolant line in front of TB, why not thread the inlet and sell kit with a braided hose that requires no clamp, the clamp is touching the shaft, the second line on the driver's side does not have any clearance issues, the connection should have been made higher, as unit would accomodate if 1/2" higher, I think someone (Heavymetals?) fabricated a connection to eliminate this problem, another fix would have been to utilize a hose with a smaller diameter provided it did not impede flow, thus increase engine temp
2) On the 90mm TB, the motor (GM part) touches the shaft, there is no play available, I could place a postcard between the two, but way too close for comfort, I realize your testing may have included another brand TB but none was recommended to me so I went with the General
3) On passenger side, mid-way back on the unit, there are six threaded holes and an adaptor (for another vehicle specs), this, too, almost touches the shaft, why, what is supposed to go here (on another vehicle?), as already too close without the part

Also, what is the speed of the shaft compared to the engine, and does the shaft flex at higher RPMs?-this is my concern, as when not running it is already too close. And lastly, how much does a new shaft cost, as I already have a groove started at the point the hose clamp touches the shaft.

Thanks.

#204 ·
3) On passenger side, mid-way back on the unit, there are six threaded holes and an adaptor (for another vehicle specs).

I was curious about that too.

+1 on the passenger side intercooler hose. Definitely a little close for comfort to the shaft.

#206 ·
+2 on the clamp over the shaft, but I think mine just clears it though. I pushed it all the way over to the TB. I figured the original shaft was smaller.
Anyway, I had to get my sister to call Jeff and give him my work number. How embarrassing :nono:. He talked to Magnuson, and David called me back. They're emailling me a return label also. Yes, they did take care of us. Unfortunately, I can't get it off for a couple days :banghead:. I may just wait till Sunday.
Thanks to Jeff, and Magnuson

Tony

PS Tom, don't forget to ask about your gaskets. If you can't re-use, make sure you have another set ready.

#207 ·
So far, so good ... or least at good as it could be.

NO ONE gets out of mod hell unscathed; it always leaves a little mark.

Pretty soon, this will be but a memory, and you'll be toolin' around listening to maggie whine. Ah-h yes! :thumbsup:

#215 ·
Help!!
How do you unclip fuel injector without breaking them?

#217 ·
The injectors have a metal clip around them shaped like a U. Push in on the bottom of the U shaped metal clip which will slide the metal clip up a bit and will then release the injector wires.
:yeah:

Some of them can be in a difficult spot. Using a flathead screwdriver can help you push the "U" clip in in the bottom side of the connector while you pull up with the other hand.

Make sure when you're pushing the "U" clip in that both sides of the "U" are moving or you won't get the connector off.

#216 ·
The injectors have a metal clip around them shaped like a U. Push in on the bottom of the U shaped metal clip which will slide the metal clip up a bit and will then release the injector wires. there is a little blue silicone seal in there as well to keep out water. they can fall out if your not paying attention and you will never find them.

#218 ·
Seems to be a bunch of us near by. Espacialy with Maggies :D. Maybe we'll get a new thread going for a tri-state meet.

#219 · (Edited)
Thanks guys finally got them off. Just took a quick food break at Step 73. Hopefully I can get most of it done today.

Trying to drain the radiator but dont see a drain cock. Guess I have to disconnect the lower hose

#222 ·
Update - Magnuson received my maggie today, fixed it and are shipping it out to be delivered to me this Saturday. :bouncy:

David said that there was a front rotor bearing that was pretty bad, so they replaced that as well as the others just to be safe.

I have to say, they're keeping me happy so far. Great customer service! :thumbsup:

#224 ·
Since I am now buying CSP's Maggie with 800 miles on it my 1st question is whats the warrenty status on a buy like this?

#225 ·
Warrenty shmarrenty, don't be a wus ;)
Congrats

#229 ·
Well I found a shop in Louisville that quoted $650 for the install and the guy said he has installed a tn of roots type blowers but never on a V.

Fair price?

They also charge $450 for a dyno tune but said it can go much higher because of the injector swap.

I think Im gonna skip that and go to a "good ol boy" a couple hours away that is highly respected in the field.

#230 ·
Well I found a shop in Louisville that quoted $650 for the install and the guy said he has installed a tn of roots type blowers but never on a V.

Fair price?

They also charge $450 for a dyno tune but said it can go much higher because of the injector swap.

I think Im gonna skip that and go to a "good ol boy" a couple hours away that is highly respected in the field.
$650 is a great price, but does he know how big the job is?

What can go much higher? The price of tune?

Whoever does it, show them the manual. You don't want them turning around and charging you a lot more cuz they didn't know whats involved.

You will need a tune with the 2.6 pully.

#231 ·
Update: Got my shipping label last night. I'm sending the Maggie out Monday morning.
Lost my original box for it. Anybody know the minimum dimensions for the box with all the foam and Maggie in it?

Tony

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.