Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Everything I ever wanted to know about a Maggie,,,and your gonna tell me!!!

56K views 477 replies 42 participants last post by  deedubb 
#1 ·
After months of you guys pushing me, rubbing it in my face, and telling me how much I needed it, I finally got the Maggie. There goes my bike money....
It should be here Wednesday, and I plan on starting right away. In fact, I'm gonna do a few things ahead of time.
At least two of us jumped on this deal, so don't be shy if I missed a question.
1. Any tips, tricks, or things I need to look out for while doing the install? It seems like an easy job, but with your help, it'll be like I've done it before.
2. Do I really need to take off the nose?
3. Five gallons of coolant enough?
4. Let's talk about the Magnavolt. I know they were a problem, but haven't heard anything in the year I've owned my V. Problem solved?
I'll take extra care while grounding it. If it dies, will the car run at all? DON'T wanna get towed.
That said, I think Randy has bigger injectors, with no Magnavolt. Is it worth doing this, down the road, along with the Magnavolt?
5. Any spares I should buy (hoses, clamps,,,)?

???? Thought I'd have more questions.
Thanks guys

Tony

See less See more
#377 ·
Funny, every kit ( well over 100) I ever sold or installed gained 125 RWHP or more. Seems to me there is more to your story of 68 RWHP gain that has not come to light. If you were that rich I would suspect an install issue such as a vacuum leak. Have you looked into your install?

#380 ·
Nothing more to the story. Those are the dyno numbers I didn't make them up. After my Kooks headers and Corsa install in 7/7/06 I had the car tuned at CarteK in NJ 354.4 HP and torque 334.0.(note the date)

The following year on 3/31/2007 two members of this forum and myself went to TT Performance and had a couple of dyno runs. My results were 349.32 HP and 336.58 TQ which was more or less on par with Cartek.

After the maggie install I by passed Mustang Magic less than 1/2 mile from my home and Vette Doctors maybe 10 miles away to return to TT Performace in NJ, 2hrs and 75 miles from my home(not to mention tolls and traffic) so that I can get the car dynoed on the very same machine as before. I previously had an issue with the idle speed, and I had a mechanic that I know inject smoke into the intake and we discovered two leaks which we fixed. One was the throttle body gasket was installed backwards and one clamp not tightened enough. After making the necessary fixes we added smoke again and checks for leaks, there were none. My car has a new fuel filter, new Acdelco Iridium plugs and a new set of MSD wires.

Blown there is nothing else to the story. I respect your many contributions to this forum and also feel very comfortable in the knowing that if there is a problem with my maggie that Magnuson would take care of it. I am not criticizing either you or Magnuson but quiet the opposite, I am encouraging at least one member of this forum to get a maggie. (He can attest to this if he wants to.)

Finally even though the numbers are not what some others got the car pulls and runs very hard, but since I have not driven another maggied V I really can't tell if it running as it should. I don't think that I overlooked anything during the install but any help and advise that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Linden

#379 ·
My LS6 w/Maggie and mild cam got me 490RWHP, with B&B headers, X-pipe and exhaust. If you ain't getting 120-130RWHP increase, keep trying.

#382 ·
Could be the pulley but I'm not sure, got to measure it and see but I think it's 2.8 because during the dyno session Matt hooked up a boost gauge and I was getting 5-6 lbs and peaking at 7 lbs. Yeah I got 91 HP after the tune but from what I have been reading the average is about that (90 hp) without a tune and maybe 120 - 130ish with a tune. So far I'm happy but a little more HP would make me even happier. Will touch bases later with Magnuson and see if I may have missed something during the install and also to double check on the pulley size.

#383 ·
The size is stamped right into the pulley; no need to measure it.

However, if you're getting 5-6 psi, I'd say you're running a 2.8". During my tune last May, the tuner monitored boost, and it ran about 5 psi until right at the end when it peaked at 5.8. I assume it was an accurate reading.

And you're sure you're not too rich? If you're richer than about 11:1 A/F, then that might explain it, too. Max power is going to be around 12.5-13:1, but tuners will run them a bit richer to keep the charge quenched to better resist detonation. Could your guy have been way too conservative either on the A/F or on the timing to avoid knock issues?

Something still is not adding up here. :confused:

#384 ·
Well I definitely need to get back to the dyno. It's killing me not knowing where I'm at, gain wise.

If I'm going to the dyno, I'll get my boost checked and might as well get tuned while I'm there, no?

#385 ·
Even with the Magnuson tune he only got 68hp, so its not his tuner. Something doesn't add up.
Now I want to get another dyno run. Dunno which would be better? Go to Mustang magic again, for an accurate reading of my gain. Or go to TT Performance to see how mine measures up to Lindens numbers.
Deff not doing a tune though.
Hey Tom, how far is your guy from NYC?

#386 ·
I just spoke to my shop. I am getting in for either this Friday or next Friday for dyno runs & tuning on the same dyno I was on last time.

Tony - Race Proven Motorsports is 2 hrs and 9 minutes from NYC (116 miles) according to mapquest.

#387 ·
Tony
heading over to Mustang Magic right now they are only about 10 blocks away from me. Will have their #'s in about an hour. Who knows it could have been the dyno was not calibrated correctly before the run. This happened at Cartek when I first got the car dynoed back in '06 the numbers were pretty low, then they realized that they had not reset bake on the dyno after tuning a twin turbo Hummer H2.

#389 ·
#393 ·
I have the least amount of patience of anyone you will ever meet. The instillation would not resemble fun, especially when the 1st problem arises. Im not sure how far a Maggie will fly but if I was doing the instillation I would probably find out.

#394 ·
It gets more and more fun every time you pull it off and put it back on too. :lol:

Honestly, if you don't have patience then it's not for you, but it is a great opportunity to learn about your car.

#396 ·
Has anyone done a 1:1 setup on the rear pulleys?

Guy with a GTO and Maggie went that route with a 3" on the front and is running 10lbs with LTs. He dynos at 514/481.

Hadnt seen that discussed here at all.

#397 ·
Has anyone done a 1:1 setup on the rear pulleys?

Guy with a GTO and Maggie went that route with a 3" on the front and is running 10lbs with LTs. He dynos at 514/481.

Hadnt seen that discussed here at all.
10lbs boost on a stock motor might = KA-BOOM
I was looking at a 2.75" pulley on ebay today. Guess you might be able to get away with it w/out tune. But I don't know if it'll fit the shaft. Just window shopping though.

#398 ·
He has a hell of a tune and doesnt seem concerned about it at all, actually trying to talk me into it, but Im all good as is. It was just the 1st I had heard of it myself.

#399 ·
Once you get "used" to the power, you'll be checking in on him. See how his motor's holding up :stirpot:

#403 ·
#405 ·
I'll be at Mustang magic on Sat. They're a little busy, but I think they can squeeze me in for a couple pulls.
Is it worth an extra $75 for A/F reading? Not to be cheap, but I know it's rich and its been an expensive month.

#412 ·
The track for me means a road course, not 12 seconds of pure destruction. Since the Road course for me (Rookie) is all about smooth transitions and some occasional WOT while at speed so I am hoping that the engine will take it. Also, I assume you tuned with the Meth to get the max power out. I only plan to use the Meth as a tool to keep the charge cooler but I will tune without. I'm hoping with the configuration I will be running I can get by with a more conservative tune and still get some decent numbers. Later on down the road I will look at beefing up the bottom end, heads, and cam and then go with a more aggressive tune.

Best plans sometimes don't work out and if anyone sees any flaws in my thoughts here, please post.

#413 ·
Just got back from the Dyno. The top two are today and the bottom numbers are my baseline about three weeks ago. Everything was SAE corrected.
A gain of 73.hp and 72tq.

#415 ·
Yeah, Magnuson tune. Was planning on doing it in the spring. But its so rich, I may do it sooner.
I'm kinda disappointed with the low gains.

#416 ·
Yeah, Im definatly going with the dyno tune for sure after seeing these numbers.

#417 ·
The tune helps, but its supposed to be at least 120 as is.
So...........

#419 ·
Don't know what most people get with the Magnuson tune. But how much can you get from a tune. Even if I got it to 100hp gain (doubt it), that's still way short of what's advertised.
You should have yours next week right? I'd like to see your before/after numbers.
Good luck with that.

#421 ·
Hey guys, I only have a second and don't have the dyno graphs from Friday scanned yet, but the short of it is:

1. Magnuson tuned was F--K-D up for my car.

2. I have IAT issues (150 F on the last pull). Afterwards I figured out that the intercooler was down on fluid after letting out a bunch of air. :nono:

3. Tuner suggested new spark plugs, as the car was breaking up in the high RPM range

4. Max boost was at 6.7 psi

5. Last pull was 440 rwhp / 422 rwtq on the mustang dyno before we ran out of time.

The tuner said the fluttering issue I was having before was related to the spark - he said the TR55's that I have in are not what I should to be using. He recommended TR6's.

More later.

#422 ·
Hey guys, I only have a second and don't have the dyno graphs from Friday scanned yet, but the short of it is:

1. Magnuson tuned was F--K-D up for my car.

2. I have IAT issues (150 F on the last pull). Afterwards I figured out that the intercooler was down on fluid after letting out a bunch of air. :nono:

3. Tuner suggested new spark plugs, as the car was breaking up in the high RPM range

4. Max boost was at 6.7 psi

5. Last pull was 440 rwhp / 422 rwtq on the mustang dyno before we ran out of time.

The tuner said the fluttering issue I was having before was related to the spark - he said the TR55's that I have in are not what I should to be using. He recommended TR6's.

More later.
Are those numbers after the tune? Do you know what you gained with the Magnuson tune? Linden and I were both about 70hp gained with the Magnuson tune.
Sounds like your not done with your tuning. Hope it resolves your issues.

Tony

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.