Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Everything I ever wanted to know about a Maggie,,,and your gonna tell me!!!

56K views 477 replies 42 participants last post by  deedubb 
#1 ·
After months of you guys pushing me, rubbing it in my face, and telling me how much I needed it, I finally got the Maggie. There goes my bike money....
It should be here Wednesday, and I plan on starting right away. In fact, I'm gonna do a few things ahead of time.
At least two of us jumped on this deal, so don't be shy if I missed a question.
1. Any tips, tricks, or things I need to look out for while doing the install? It seems like an easy job, but with your help, it'll be like I've done it before.
2. Do I really need to take off the nose?
3. Five gallons of coolant enough?
4. Let's talk about the Magnavolt. I know they were a problem, but haven't heard anything in the year I've owned my V. Problem solved?
I'll take extra care while grounding it. If it dies, will the car run at all? DON'T wanna get towed.
That said, I think Randy has bigger injectors, with no Magnavolt. Is it worth doing this, down the road, along with the Magnavolt?
5. Any spares I should buy (hoses, clamps,,,)?

???? Thought I'd have more questions.
Thanks guys

Tony

See less See more
#237 ·
Gentlemen we have ignition :bouncy: Just finished up today and all I can say is wow. Already drawing attention, went to Mcdonalds and I had an audience. Check engine light is on and the car is idling high, from 800-900 rpms to 2000 then back down. I guess the computer is relearning.

A big thank you all the members of this forum, I really appreciate all the help

Thanks
Linden

#240 ·
Maggie is back and she looks beautiful! Now if only the weather would cooperate long enough today for me to get it back on. Come on, I only need about 30 minutes!!!

#243 ·
Mod hell just got worse!

Took off the Maggie today, so I could ship it back to be repaired. Thought I'd put the car back to stock, cuz I have to go to court Monday. Put the motor back together, and turned it over just for a quick check. She tried to run, but obviously died out. That's normal with the Maggie tune. So I connect the Maggie tuner:
It communicates, shows my VIN, says PCM has been modified, asks if I want to return to stock, I hit "yes". Tuner does its thing and shows a * in the display. This means it's saving the tune thats in the PCM. Look at the tuner a couple minutes later (too early for it to be finished), and it says "no signal from PCM", "check cable and turn ignition on". I give it another couple minutes, same thing. So I unplug it, and start over. This time, it doesn't find the PCM at all. Now the car wont even crank.
I tried everything I could think of. Disconnected the battery for at least twenty minutes. Checked all the fuses. Even tried my other superchips tuner. That one told me that the "ignition is not in the run position".
I think my PCM just got F*d.
Anybody know if you can "reboot" the PCM?
I'll call Magnuson in the AM, but I don't know what they can do if the PCM is shot.
Can't go to the dealer with something like this.
Should I order a "wait for me" PCM tuned for a Maggie?
Thanks

Tony

BTW Tom just called. He's stuck on the side of the road. Sounded like his Magnavolt might have gone bad. Told him to reconnect the grey wires in the trunk. Hope that does it.

YUP Mod hell.........

#245 ·
Start looking for something else to drive.
Gee thanks, that was a great help lol
I probably should try Rick. Just hard to throw anothe $500 into this right now. I wasn't planning on getting a real tune till I figured out if I want any more mods.

#247 ·
Im feeling better and better about this $650 install and then Im probably just gonna get the dyno tune at the same time.

Im am the least patient person on the planet so I would probably have pushed my car off a cliff by now if this had been me.

Hope you guys get your cars back together soon

#248 ·
The Maggie should be back by Friday. Hopefully I can get this PCM issue straightened out by then.

Toms car is done. Just hope this was a Magnavolt, and he got it going again. At least his V wont be sitting till he gets another one.

#250 ·
Geez, you guys are having all kinds of Mod Hell fun. :nono:

I'm sure that ground connection is the problem with the Magnavolt,Tom. And it's hard to believe your PCM is "F***D", Tony ... may just need to be reprogrammed? I mean, what would have caused it to fry?

When I see this all happening, I just count my blessings. Good luck, guys. Hope Magnuson has some good words of wisdom tomorrow.

#253 ·
Do not let the problems of a few skew the success of this system.

I don't think its fried. I think as the tuner was pulling the maggie tune, something happened. Now there's missing information. So the tuner can't communicate with the PCM, and the PCM won't start the car. Obviously this is just my best guess.

Sounds about right......I am guessing there was something aftermarket on at the same time as the downloader.

#252 ·
I don't think its fried. I think as the tuner was pulling the maggie tune, something happened. Now there's missing information. So the tuner can't communicate with the PCM, and the PCM won't start the car. Obviously this is just my best guess.

#256 ·
I dont know. A problem with the hand held is VERY rare, I will speak with the calibration department tomorrow and see what we can do for you. Dont panic, UPS next day to the rescue!
I tried to get it back to stock. Even if it didn't run perfect, I could still move it if I needed to. I my situation, it was worth all the extra work.
At this point, I'll be happy if all is well by Friday. That's when I expect the Maggie back (based on Toms turnaround). I'm worried because the tuner can't communicate with the PCM. Even if you sent another tuner Tuesday, it wouldn't work. If, by any chance, you can do something with the PCM, I'll send it out Tuesday.
David has my number,,,,but if the phones ringing as you walk in the door, it's probably me :yup:

I wanna keep my options open. If anybody has any other ideas, let me know. Hopefully this gets fixed without getting a new PCM.
Thanks

Tony

#258 ·
So how many folks daily drive their Maggie?

How big of an influence is it on mpg? Engine heat?

Anything that is a PITA about it or even just annoying?

#259 ·
So how many folks daily drive their Maggie?

How big of an influence is it on mpg? Engine heat?

Anything that is a PITA about it or even just annoying?
Wasn't sure about the noise at first, so I drove it for a couple days.
1. You right foot will kill your mpg. Highway's not too bad though.
2. My temps were 195-210.
3. ....see answer 1....

#262 ·
Update: Talked to David. He said to send them the PCM, and they'll try to fix it. Maggie went out this morning, so I'll send the PCM Tuesday, next day air. That way they'll both get there Wednesday, and hopefully, be back Friday.
How do I remove the PCM? I checked the FAQ, but it only says that it's in the front. :banghead: Can anybody be more specific?
Thanks

#282 ·
Update: Talked to David. He said to send them the PCM, and they'll try to fix it. Maggie went out this morning, so I'll send the PCM Tuesday, next day air. That way they'll both get there Wednesday, and hopefully, be back Friday.
Tony, any updates?

#264 ·
Actually, that's what I was talking about. Is it left, right, center? Is it near anything?
I'd hate to get under there, and start cursing :rant2:

#268 ·
BTW what should I do about the tuner. I'm assuming the PCM will come back with the Maggie tune on it. But if I ever sell the car, I may need to pull the Maggie. Wouldn't want this to happen then.

#266 ·
Cool thanks

#270 ·
PCM's a lot bigger than I thought. Its going out with the tuner tuesday morning, next day air.

#276 ·
I'm back in business baby! :alright:

David sent out my new magnavolt for a next day early morning delivery (nice surprise). It already showed up at the office, and I went out and put it in. Started up perfectly, good idle, no choking. I haven't gotten a chance to take it out yet and unfortunately it's looking like rain. I'll let you all know how she's performing after I get a chance to take a drive.

Thank you Brian and David at Magnuson for all the excellent customer service! :thumbsup:

#277 ·
Boost Gauge.

Required, Recommended or Unnecessary?

And yeah, you have got rain headed your way. It blew through here between 3-5 am and I got to wake up the whole city by sending 120ish big ass airplanes flying everywhere but where they are supposed to be because thats where the level-5 thunderstorm was sitting.

If your new Magnavolt came UPS, your welcome. If not some guy in Memphis hooked you up but he didnt have a lightning storm all around him to do it!!

#278 ·
I think A/F and fuel pressure gauges are more important. This magnavolt issue that I had is making me want those gauges for safety reasons, should this magnavolt go bad too. I want to be able to monitor those things. Boost I think is more of a "cool" gauge, but not necessary.

Are you an air traffic controller? If you are, thanks for letting UPS through!

#279 ·
Cool, thanks.

Im sure the guy doing my install will try to upsell them to me.

Yeah, Im a controller at UPS central. :grrr:

Im ready to go back to the Islands. :pirate2:

#280 ·
Well the rain stopped and the roads dried out so I took a 1 hour test drive after work today. All is well finally! The car is running great and, of course, FAST. :D

I'm pulling for ya Tony, it'll all be over soon and you'll be enjoying your V in a whole new way!

Thanks for everyone that helped along the way, this forum rocks. :highfive:

#285 ·
OK, so what extra info and tricks do I need to pass along to my installer that isnt already in the manual?

IF I get my car back this decade.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.