Everything I ever wanted to know about a Maggie,,,and your gonna tell me!!! - Page 24
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Everything I ever wanted to know about a Maggie,,,and your gonna tell me!!! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; This has me thinking about gauges now. Can I connect an A/F gauge? If so, where would that hook up ...
    Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

Re: Everything I ever wanted to know about a Maggie,,,and your gonna tell me!!!

This has me thinking about gauges now. Can I connect an A/F gauge? If so, where would that hook up to?
    Also boost, what do you tie into?
    I saw some pics of an electronic gauge that can monitor several things. That's probably the best route, but I love the look of the analog.
    Any advice (brand, where to look,,,,)?
    I'll think about mounting it later.
    Thanks

Tony

CTSV_510 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)

Well...

It happened again today. I can now describe it as a deep fluttering sound that happens above 3500 rpms at WOT, or very near WOT.

I checked the lines (including hose to the magnavolt) and all are connected with no pinching, kinks, or loose connection. I re-read the DTCs (I am used to seeing them from the O2 sensors due to the headers).

P0113 - Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor Circuit High Voltage
    According to what I have read, this MIL will be thrown if the following conditions are met for 4.5 seconds or more:
    - Vehicle speed less than 7 mph
    - MAF less than 15 grams per second
    - Engine coolant temp greater than 32 F
    - Intake air temp below -35 F ????

P0332 - Knock Sensor 2 Circuit Low Input (Bank 2)

I'm thinking that the one knock sensor wire may have gotten pinched or something the second time I put the maggie on. I don't know about the IAT sensor - that one's got me stumped.

Needless to say, there will be no more flogging it until I can get everything fixed. Anyone think these issue could in any way contribute to my issue? It really feels/sounds like the bypass valve isn't working properly.

Maybe it's time for a call to Magnuson.

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

That reminds me. I threw a code last night. I'll check it in a bit.
    I know how you feel man. Deff call Magnuson before they close for the weekend. Hopefully this happened before.

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

I think it is either spark or fuel related.

Maybe the knock sensor is sending some bad info and the spark gets retarded.

If the magnavolt is funky that would explain the WOT problem as that is when the vacuum line activates the doggone thing.

Bypass it and see if the problem is still there.

Did you make sure to put the rubber "O" rings on the knock sensor plate?

Quote Originally Posted by heavymetals View Post
    I think it is either spark or fuel related.

Maybe the knock sensor is sending some bad info and the spark gets retarded.

If the magnavolt is funky that would explain the WOT problem as that is when the vacuum line activates the doggone thing.

Bypass it and see if the problem is still there.

Did you make sure to put the rubber "O" rings on the knock sensor plate?
    The rubber O rings are all in place.

If I bypass the magnavolt, then I can't push it to WOT where I would need to to test this problem, right? At least without chancing a "boom".

Maybe I should just plan on taking it off again this weekend to check the knock sensors out.

Who knows which knock sensor is bank 2?

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

You could connect a voltmeter to the output of the Magnavolt and have someone monitor it when you go WOT and see if it is dropping out.

Worse then bypasssing as at least your getting fuel instead of it shutting off, athough not recomended for extended periods.

Your just trying to limit it down as to what's causing it anyway, not run around.

You can also "fool" the Magnavolt just by putting vacuum to the input and monitoring the output, however I prefer "real world" testing.

Actually, I guess you could just disconnect the vacuum hose from the Magnavolt and see if the problems happens.

You sure your not bouncing off the rev limiter?

Luna. is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V

With a maggie you can give away the hole shot and then just reel them in.
    Especially true with the Subarus and Mitsus that will hole shot the heck out of you...and then you reel them in...

Quote Originally Posted by CTSV_510 View Post
    2.6" pulley & 90 mm TB & retune.

I'm still a believer in the 8' crankshaft balancer and 8-rib pullies all the way around, but that's just me. 2.6" for me was too hard to avoid belt-slip. Those of you who don't, smile, for I couldn't get it to not-slip after several 1000 miles...

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
    Can I connect an A/F gauge? If so, where would that hook up to?
    A/F gauge would be interesting. I can't recall anyone actually having a guage monitor that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
    Also boost, what do you tie into?
    I tied mine into a vacuum hose coming off the driver-rear of the intake manifold (which is exactly where A&A plugged into during my dyno runs). Should be fairly obvious when you look at it. There doesn't seem to be too many other places to hook up to...at least that we could find.

You could connect a voltmeter to the output of the Magnavolt and have someone monitor it when you go WOT and see if it is dropping out.

Worse then bypasssing as at least your getting fuel instead of it shutting off, athough not recomended for extended periods.

Your just trying to limit it down as to what's causing it anyway, not run around.

You can also "fool" the Magnavolt just by putting vacuum to the input and monitoring the output, however I prefer "real world" testing.

Actually, I guess you could just disconnect the vacuum hose from the Magnavolt and see if the problems happens.

You sure your not bouncing off the rev limiter?
    Not the rev limiter - I've never hit that before. I'm not interested in anything after 6500 rpms. This is occuring at 3500 and up.

What about a fuel pressure test? Wouldn't that also tell me? Idle should be around 55 psi, right? What about WOT? I think I saw fuel pressure gauges at pep boys for $20 or so. I don't own a voltmeter yet. I guess I should probably get both.

I think the spark retard could have something to do with it, but what about the fluttering sound? Does an engine pulling timing make a fluttering noise?

Luna. is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by CTSV_510 View Post

What about a fuel pressure test? Wouldn't that also tell me? Idle should be around 55 psi, right?
    If memory serves, it should be between 55-65 psi.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

60 psi here.

Boost pressure can be gotten as Luna described ... mine has a cap on it at present. I've got a gauge, but have yet to find a way to mount it befitting a Cadillac.

Hey, Luna, how much did the 8-rib setup set you back? THAT is the best way to do it. Wasn't it something like $2k or some crazy amount?
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

terminal Velocity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

All this and heat soak too? Egads, I'm staying NA...

Max-Q is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS-V & Escalade

Are you sure the knock sensors and rubber O-rings are installed correctly? It sounds like they are sensing knock and pulling timing. The fluttering is probably the bypass valve releasing the boost pressure after knock is detected.

I used a lot of high temp silicone to hold the wires into place and as an added cushion between the supercharger intake and the valley cover. There are a lot of vibrations coming from the Maggie and the knock sensors could simply detect those vibrations as knock.

Quote Originally Posted by Max-Q View Post
    Are you sure the knock sensors and rubber O-rings are installed correctly? It sounds like they are sensing knock and pulling timing. The fluttering is probably the bypass valve releasing the boost pressure after knock is detected.

I used a lot of high temp silicone to hold the wires into place and as an added cushion between the supercharger intake and the valley cover. There are a lot of vibrations coming from the Maggie and the knock sensors could simply detect those vibrations as knock.
    I am sure the O-rings are in place, and that the knock sensors are properly torqued. I think the wires are just pinched. I'm going to pull it tomorrow morning and see what I find. Are those 14 gauge wires? I will probably end up having to re-wiring at least the back sensor. I will also will also be using plenty of silicone to keep them in place.

How does the bypass valve know that knock is detected? Unless the detected knock effects the throttle position, I don't even know if these two things are related.

The whole other side is the IAT code which makes no sense.

We'll see - Schedule for tomorrow: maggie removal, knock sensor wire fixing, maggie reinstallation, fuel pressure testing, IAT wire checking.

MauiV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Tis Gone :(

Maggie Install procedure:

Drop off to guy that has done this a couple hundred times vs my zero.

Pay bill.

Drive home.

At least I hope it all goes this easily, it looks good on paper.

Small Update #1:

Knock sensor wires all look fine. Maybe it's the rear sensor that was submerged in water?

Deja Vu WildWhl?

Rain while the maggie was off at Magnuson must have leaked in? Everything was covered well, and the tape covering the intake ports was dry as well as everything under them when I pulled it off that day. I never pulled knock sensor covers to check. I'm an idiot and should have had the damn thing completely covered. I am more than lucky that no water made it into the cylinders.

I picked up a new sensor form the local chevy dealer and it's going on now.

I think I'm going to build a garage. I NEVER should have bought a house without a garage.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.