Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Everything I ever wanted to know about a Maggie,,,and your gonna tell me!!!

56K views 477 replies 42 participants last post by  deedubb 
#1 ·
After months of you guys pushing me, rubbing it in my face, and telling me how much I needed it, I finally got the Maggie. There goes my bike money....
It should be here Wednesday, and I plan on starting right away. In fact, I'm gonna do a few things ahead of time.
At least two of us jumped on this deal, so don't be shy if I missed a question.
1. Any tips, tricks, or things I need to look out for while doing the install? It seems like an easy job, but with your help, it'll be like I've done it before.
2. Do I really need to take off the nose?
3. Five gallons of coolant enough?
4. Let's talk about the Magnavolt. I know they were a problem, but haven't heard anything in the year I've owned my V. Problem solved?
I'll take extra care while grounding it. If it dies, will the car run at all? DON'T wanna get towed.
That said, I think Randy has bigger injectors, with no Magnavolt. Is it worth doing this, down the road, along with the Magnavolt?
5. Any spares I should buy (hoses, clamps,,,)?

???? Thought I'd have more questions.
Thanks guys

Tony

See less See more
#423 ·
Heatsoak is a bitch, especially when your cooling system isn't working at max capacity.

Pull #1 - 260 rwhp :eek: Obviously the dyno was off for this one, I think I would know if I lost 100 hp.
Pull #2 - I forget, somewhere around 360 I think.
Pull #3 - 396 rwhp
Pull #4 - 440 rwhp.

The tuner was adjusting things the whole time here, and since the dyno was obviously f-d up on the first run, I don't know where I actually was with the Magnuson tune. He said that the tune that I had was absolutely terrible in regards to A/F, timing, etc.

He also said he could feel the car breaking up in the high-rpms (what I referred to before as a fluttering noise and feeling like I lost boost). The boost was fine, minimum was about 5.5 and max was 6.7. So the issue I was having was related to the spark not working correctly under boost. Why didn't anyone else recommend colder plugs? Now that I'm looking on ls1tech it looks like everyone with FI goes with colder and shorter gapped plugs.

Hopefully swapping to the TR6 plugs will correct that and get me the power that I should have. Then I'll go find a dynojet so I can have better numbers. :lol:

If I were to trust this dyno, as of now I would have a gain of 71 hp & 69 tq. Sounds pretty shitty to me. I do have to say that the results are fairly inconclusive considering the way the dyno was reading.

And it has been wet all weekend so I haven't had a chance to compare the before/after tune difference much, other than the car feeling like it runs smoother all around.

#424 ·
I will be sure to ask my installer and tuner about this and just change the plugs while they are in there.

I guess thats another one for the list....

-Colder, shorter gapped plugs. TR6's recommended.

-EXTRA GROUNDS for the magnavolt.

-Don't even bother with an impact wrench on the crank bolt - breaker bar & length of pipe works great.

-The bumper does not need to come off.

-The belt tensioner mod is not part of the instructions (I don't know if you're getting this piece from Chris - it was a more recent addition).

-Any wires that you cut to be crimped - make the cuts an inch apart or else you will have trouble fitting the crimps in the wire looms

-It may be easier to attach the throttle body coolant lines to the throttle body before it is bolted to the supercharger.

-There are 2 solid wires on the connector in steps 213/214. Take a close look at the picture and make sure you're cutting the correct one.

#425 ·
Run 1

Run 2

These are the last 2 runs. The first two aren't even worth posting because all the power dropped off at 3500 rpm. Difference is 43 hp and 27 tq.

#427 ·
Tom, are those your final numbers? Or are you going backto maximize your tune?
Looks like you may be in the same boat we are. But at least two out of the three Maggies bought that week are putting out low numbers. And both our cars are running fine. I'll call Magnuson to see if they have any answers. But if something was installed wrong, the car wont run right. I hope they prove me wrong though.

#428 ·
Those are the numbers for now. As far as fuel/air/spark goes, I know the fuel is OK in my case, so that leaves air and spark. The high air temp will definitely cost hp, so I will be working the intercooler system and changing my plugs to see what I can do.

Obviously let us know what Magnuson said. Linden left me a message - but I haven't had a chance to call him back yet.

#430 · (Edited)
All 3 of you have "rebuilt" Maggies correct? Just wondering what happens in that "rebuild" process.

I just talked to my tuner and they are going to go with the TR6s during the install, so that is covered.

She goes under the knife tomorrow and HOPEFULLY I will have her back Wed afternoon or Thursday morning with an extra 130 HP like they advertise. I am going to be disappointed if Im not at least 450+ at the wheels with the Maggie and dyno tune.

Oh yeah. All the gearheads I have talked to say TR6's .32 to .35 gap on an SC LSx.

#431 ·
All 3 of you have "rebuilt" Maggies correct? Just wondering what happens in that "rebuild" process.

I just talked to my tuner and they are going to go with the TR6s during the install, so that is covered.

She goes under the knife tomorrow and HOPEFULLY I will have her back Wed afternoon or Thursday morning with an extra 130 HP like they advertise. I am going to be disappointed if Im not at least 450+ at the wheels with the Maggie and dyno tune.
You getting before/after dyno runs? Your gonna love it :thumbsup:.

#432 ·
Not sure about the "before" run. Depends on $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. No real point other than a starting point I guess.

Its getting a dyno tune instead of the Maggie flash so I will have "after" numbers for sure and its an in ground Mustang dyno. The place has a nice setup with FWD, RWD and AWD in floor dynos in the shop and hte tuner has gotten pretty good reviews. Not a great as one guy 190 miles away that is considered an LSx God by all those that know him but it just wasnt worth the trip right now. Maybe I will have him tuneafter the Kooks installthat I know will be coming.

#433 ·
Not sure about the "before" run. Depends on $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. No real point other than a starting point I guess.

Its getting a dyno tune instead of the Maggie flash so I will have "after" numbers for sure and its an in ground Mustang dyno. The place has a nice setup with FWD, RWD and AWD in floor dynos in the shop and hte tuner has gotten pretty good reviews. Not a great as one guy 190 miles away that is considered an LSx God by all those that know him but it just wasnt worth the trip right now. Maybe I will have him tuneafter the Kooks installthat I know will be coming.
Shouldn't be more than $100, but he may give you a better deal since it's part of a package. Either way, you should be about 450hp.

#435 ·
Back to the topic of how much power can a stock (in this case an LS6) bottom end can take,,, My tech, with my original LS6 in his C5, installed twins (I think 67mm) and finally got it to the dyno last evening after three months of a very painful install, and made 786RWHP:eek:; the thread is on the 'other' forum in the Corvette section. Nothing broke, and of course it was de-tuned after that. No one recommends you run with that much power, but I do think most people, including me when I was more of a newbie-still am one, are too conservative when considering the strength of the stock LSx internals. So, aim high, give your Maggie a heads/cam package, push it to 600RWHP, with a good tune, and you will beat all them damn P-cars, M-series, AMGs, etc... by train lengths:thumbsup:.

#436 ·
Well the installer just called and they have had 2 straight pulls of 435/435 on the Mustang Dyno. Seems that heat soak is setting in also with temps between 180-190 so they have shut it down for awhile. As soon as the wife gets home I am headed to go pick her up.

#437 · (Edited)
Sounds good...they didn't get a baseline did they?

And you don't have headers right? So you may have pulled around 330-ish before, so you might have gotten yourself 105 -ish rwhp

#438 ·
Wait till you get on a highway.

#439 ·
No headers and no I didnt get a baseline, this was already expensive enough. I was figuring 320 stock, maybe 330 with the Corsas so yeah should be at least 100hp gain.

Kooks are DEFINATLY the next purchase but its going to be awhile.

#440 ·
Update: waiting on a call back from Dave. Told him to take his time, since the car is running fine. Linden is also talking to Drew in calibration. Hopefully they come up with something.

Question: let's say the install was good and the S/C is good. Maybe the PCM and/or tune is cutting the power (timing???). So if something is happening that we're losing 30-50 hp, would the car still run good? Both cars have no codes.

#441 ·
If the timing was too retarded the car would still run good, just not produce optimum power.

I am trying to contact my tuner now. I remember he mentioned something about the magnuson tune and 8.5° of timing! :eek:

8.5° is far from where this tune should be. I think that is part of the issue here - and I'm not sure my tuner added enough timing either, or if he was thrown off my the IATs or what. He may actually suck at tuning a maggie as much as the canned magnuson tunes, I don't know.

I am also thinking now that by baseline from after headers wasn't accurate either - 369 on a mustang sounds great but in reality it's probably too high. I know mustang dynos can be calibrated to show different results, and I was not present when the car made 369 rwhp, but I was when the maggie made 439.

Still not happy, need to find a StealthV tune and a dynojet! :lol:

#442 ·
If the timing was too retarded the car would still run good, just not produce optimum power.

I am trying to contact my tuner now. I remember he mentioned something about the magnuson tune and 8.5° of timing! :eek:

8.5° is far from where this tune should be. I think that is part of the issue here - and I'm not sure my tuner added enough timing either, or if he was thrown off my the IATs or what. He may actually suck at tuning a maggie as much as the canned magnuson tunes, I don't know.

I am also thinking now that by baseline from after headers wasn't accurate either - 369 on a mustang sounds great but in reality it's probably too high. I know mustang dynos can be calibrated to show different results, and I was not present when the car made 369 rwhp, but I was when the maggie made 439.

Still not happy, need to find a StealthV tune and a dynojet! :lol:
Dave is looking into my tune. I'll post up when he calls me.
I'm thinking of going to Corvettes of Westchester, for a road tune.
StealthV tune sounds good right now. I hope it's that easy.
So what should the timing be? Can I go to any mechanic and do a quick check. Really don't wanna keep dumping $$$ on Dyno runs.

#443 ·
Just talked to the tuner - he confirmed that the magnuson tune was set at 8.5° of timing at WOT. :nono:

He didn't have his laptop with him but he believes I ended up around 18° when we finished on the dyno.

#445 ·
My car is running exceptionally well now after the custom tune. I haven't been back to the dyno yet after I finished tweaking everything and changing the spark plugs. I can tell you though that I've never enjoyed this car so much! All in all that trip to mod hell was short, and WELL worth it! :D

#447 ·
Still have the Magnuson tune and haven't replaced the spark plugs yet. Looking at them right now, but it's too cold to do the work.
Car is running perfect. Lots more power right away, otherwise the car feels stock.
Based on my experience, I wouldn't look for the gains they advertise. They say a minimum of 120rwhp gained. I think it's more like 100-110 with a tune, and under perfect conditions. I suggest getting a scaner to moniter IATs, timing etc. and a meth kit to keep the IAT low.
In the spring, I'll get the meth kit and a custom tune. I'm also thinking about going with and overdrived pulley.
I was pissed at first, but I would still recomend it for the fun factor :bouncy:

Tony

#448 ·
Tony, in all seriousness and joking aside, I'm wondering about the exhaling factor for your car. I know, I know, we've kidded you about it in the past, but with headers giving 20-30 hp on a stock car (with tune), I'd have to believe it might be well in excess of +30 on yours.

Okay, I've said it, and I'll never bring it up again. :canttalk:

#449 ·
Reeeally don't wanna reply to this cuz you guys might start that up again lol
But I've been thinking about the car exhaling. Might get the 8" pully, and I'm wondering if it would be easyer for the motor to handle the extre boost if I let it breath better.
At this point, its not worth spending $1300 to get a bit more hp. I always wanted to get hi-flo cats though. Don't know if that would be enough.
Another thing is that I don't want my car any louder than it is. The way I drive it brings too much attention.

We'll see........

#450 ·
Hey, lets all jump on twitch's back!

Yeah dude. Considering the motor is one giant air pump, anything you can do to help pull the air out of the motor means less HP/TQ eaten trying to force the air out. Not to mention, a cleaner air charge with headers! I would be interested in finding out what your air pressure ratio is, from blower to exhaust ports. I am willing to bet that you have more wasted oxygen still in the chamber then many NA cars!

Never the less, sounds like most of you are happy campers about the maggy. For 5500, it seems like a deal you can't pass up.

#458 ·
Hi

My car feels SOOOO much better with the new diff bushing. I will probably get Pissn custom or Lukes UUCs once they are available. I also am planning on drag bags to try to control the movement even more to save the bushing.

Of course I did throw an o2 code on my way to work this morning and not really sure why. Its showing 1 bank only, probably running rich. My belt does continue to occasionally slip of the tensioner pulley. I need to call Magnason again and try to get the additional part to resolve that.
I didn't even put the bracket on the tensioner. It wasn't part of the instructions, so I ignored it. Thought it was another extra part :hmm:
Haven't had any problems with the belt though.

#456 ·
My car feels SOOOO much better with the new diff bushing. I will probably get Pissn custom or Lukes UUCs once they are available. I also am planning on drag bags to try to control the movement even more to save the bushing.

Of course I did throw an o2 code on my way to work this morning and not really sure why. Its showing 1 bank only, probably running rich. My belt does continue to occasionally slip of the tensioner pulley. I need to call Magnason again and try to get the additional part to resolve that.

#457 ·
I've had no belt slip in the 1500 miles since the install with the extra tensioner bracket and gatorback belt.

Was is Bank 1 #1 or Bank 1 #2 and why do you think you're running rich?

#459 ·
so where's a cheap place to buy a maggie??? i'm pulling the trigger soon... unless someone can convince me otherwise to spend more $ on an LS7...

#460 · (Edited)
Rob, glad to hear from you again so soon!

Of course, you gotta keep your eyes on eBay, but quick question: Are you constraining yourself to new only? Or, are you receptive to a good used one?

EDIT: Oh, btw, I ain't sellin' mine ... NO WAY!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.