Cadillac Owners Forum banner
14K views 67 replies 23 participants last post by  CadiBlk 
#1 ·
Well today I finished up installing my homemade intake. It was that one that GroverDill ordered for the both of us. Just had to trim down the aluminum intake tube. It was ordered in 1 foot but probably trimmed off about 4 inches or so. Here are the pictures. The aluminum pipe was pretty beat up and raw. I used some steel wool and some polishing compound to give a little shine. Hopefully I can get to a Dyno soon and see if there are really any gains.

See less See more
#39 ·
Here's a stupid question...I pretty much suspect the answer would be "No"...But, hey, collectively, you all are much more knowledeable than me...

...If the aluminum tube was coated with an insulating paint, such as "jet-hot", to keep it from holding transferred heat from the engine compartment, thus avoiding heat transference to the airflow passing through it, would it make any difference whatsoever to performance or how well the car runs?

My background is in the Buick Grand National realm where the more heat you get rid of, the better the car runs...especially intake heat.

#40 ·
Here's a stupid question...I pretty much suspect the answer would be "No"...But, hey, collectively, you all are much more knowledeable than me...

...If the aluminum tube was coated with an insulating paint, such as "jet-hot", to keep it from holding transferred heat from the engine compartment, thus avoiding heat transference to the airflow passing through it, would it make any difference whatsoever to performance or how well the car runs?

My background is in the Buick Grand National realm where the more heat you get rid of, the better the car runs...especially intake heat.
There's been talk about that.
Me, I doubt the air is in the tube long enough to make a real difference.

#46 ·
Dyno day was a joke. Vecstacy and groverdill dyno'd at 380 and 385 (forgot who got which number) and I got 397.

They had their cars tuned and mine is stock tune, other mods are basically the same (exhaust, FFV intake).

On top of the numbers being ridiculously high, there is no way my car would be higher than theirs. There was a STOCK 08 Z06 that dyno'd 528rwhp :thepan:

#51 ·
It was a very disappointing day. I have been going to this shops Dyno days for years and they have always been dead on with their numbers so I really don't know what happened this time. There is another Dyno day coming up on Sunday at a different shop so I am thinking about strapping it down again. Last time a buddy of mine went to this new shop he said the numbers were reading really low so who knows what will happen.

#56 ·
Mine fits perfectly too. I have the 4"-3.5" elbow that shady recommended coupled with a 3.5"OD polished aluminum pipe with 2mm thick walls going into the rest of the K&N intake kit.

P.S. does anyone want a foot of 3.5"OD polished aluminum pipe with 2mm thick walls? I ordered 2 feet but will not need that much! Just pay shipping.

#55 ·
really? mine fit snuggly.. what size tube do you have? 4in.. I used a 4in-3.5 reducer on my setup because i have a 3.5 tube.. regardless, a 4in elbow should be snug on the tb, it sounds like a defect.. i say send it back and get another one

#59 ·
I ordered the part numbers that were listed on the other thread , this is what i got from silicobeintakes.com

1 x Silicone Reducer, 90° bend - 4.0" to 3.5" - Black $19.99
1 x 3.5" Silicone Hump Hose, Black $14.99

When I put it on the TB i can shake it side to side theres gotta be 1/4 inch , I didnt try to clamp it before putting tape on the tb but I could see how there would be like an excess of silicone hose and it would bunch up. the hose measures 4" ID and my TB measures 3.75 OD maybe im being too picky??? but if this was on a turbo app I wouldnt use it.

So what does everyone else's TB measure?
mine is an 04 LS6

#57 ·
Hmm I'd be up for fabbing my own.. just sounds like fun if I have links to get the right parts and such.

#58 ·
Ted, ill take the pipe! Let me know where to send paypal!

#60 ·
Upgrade to the Ls2 Tb...This way you will gain the max you can out of the tube...My LS2 TB is 4" on the outside

But you are probably on a budget, then go for the BBK 80mm TB, you save the intake manifold and it opens up the back of the tb by about 3mm+ which will help on the top end, and the initial opennin is 5mm+ larger which is better for flowin the air

#63 ·
LS6 and LS2 throttle body OD are the same I thought? Either way my silicone intakes 4"-3.5" is snug around my LS6 throttle body and snug around my 3.5"OD intake pipe.
They are both the same size. Here is a 78mm vs an aftermarket 90 mm (nick williams billet bling :cool2:)

This pic is huge, but I think it belongs in this thread:

-Chris

#64 ·
good pics I dont know whats up with mine , The hose is 4" ID so I cant call siliconeintakes and tell there is a defect on the hose because it is what it is. my TB is 3.75 OD
Can someone measure their TB OD ??? What I do know is the factory duct fits so snug and tight I had to yank on it to get it off whereas the silicone elbow requires no effort at all to slip it on and off :bonkers:

#66 ·
That shiny tube looks good. You paint it, powder it or buy it polished?

I really need to get myself the silicone intakes 90 degree elbow tube. They were out of them when I was making mine, so I ordered a rubber one from another site. The rubber is all dry and the piece is gray.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.