Mallett Shifter
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Mallett Shifter in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Short shifter is available! The cost of the shifter is $450.00 with a return core of$100.00 upon receipt of the ...
    lasstss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Mallett Shifter

Short shifter is available!

The cost of the shifter is $450.00 with a return core of$100.00 upon receipt of the OEM shifter. If you are mechanically inclined, you can change out the shifter. If not, you may want to consider having your local dealer install it. There is the need to lower the transmission disconnect the exhaust in order to remove and install the shifter. The shifter does come with complete instructions for installation.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cal
    Cal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: Mallett Shifter

Any contact info? I'd buy that in a New York minute. The shifts on the car definitely need work.

Refer me if you want, I'll be your first sale.

lasstss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Here it is....
    Tina Fisher

tina@mallettcars.com

Administrative Assistant

Mallett Cars, Ltd.

JKG
    JKG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

$450 plus a core seems like a lot compared to other 5 or 6 speed shifters on the market for other cars... Anyone know if the shifter just shortens the shifts (shorter handle), or does it actually make it smoother? Based on my experience with Camaros and Corvettes, at least SOME of the notchiness (for lack of a better word) is inherent to the T56 transmission.

rabid is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

I emailed Mallett about this the other day. These were my questions and their replies.

(1) I assume the Mallett shifter has a shorter throw than the stock shifter. How much shorter is the throw? 1/2"

(2) Also, I notice with the stock shifter that it seems very soft and “sloppy”, and not as precise. I am looking for a shifter that “clicks” into each gear smoothly. Does the Mallett shifter do this? YES

(3) I can’t tell from the pictures, but does the Mallett shifter use the original shift knob and shift boot? Or is it changed? (If so, what does it look like?) Reuse OEM knob and boot.

The only thing I am worried about is the throw distance. They say it is 1/2" shorter, which personally, I don't think is much. However, they do say the shifter is more precise. If so, I will buy the shifter in a minute. Of course, I am comparing this to the best factory shifter I have ever used, Honda S2000.

Uber-V is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I sat in and shifted the shifter in a Mallet V. I did not drive it so keep that in mind. Driving the car will give a much better comparison. It is very different and much better than stock. Most notable was the shorter throw and the much more precise engagement. A 1/2 inch difference in travel may not sound like a lot but it is very evident.

Quote Originally Posted by Uber-V
    I sat in and shifted the shifter in a Mallet V. I did not drive it so keep that in mind. Driving the car will give a much better comparison. It is very different and much better than stock. Most notable was the shorter throw and the much more precise engagement. A 1/2 inch difference in travel may not sound like a lot but it is very evident.
    Got me sold. First mod, hear I come.

Cal

I hope it isn't anything like the Hurst in my biz partner's Z06 that I drove a few times today. I had to flex my arms just to get it into reverse, the first time I used 2 hands. That shift is definitely not for a daily driver, and he says it pops out of 3rd quite a bit. But then again the throw on that thing is incredibly short.

I'd give it a whirl for $350, it's $100-150 more than a Hurst, as long as I can put the old one back in without any damage. But in this case based on my experiences today, I may wait to hear what you folks have to say. I drive the car a LOT, not just for racing (ahem) so I would like something that doesn't make me look like I don't have the arm strength to engage the R gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal
    ... But in this case based on my experiences today, I may wait to hear what you folks have to say. ...
    Awww, c'mon Cal, I thought you were the guinea pig for all mods?

Cal

Yeah, who am I kidding. I'll buy it.

Clintonwmills is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I got a chance to shift as well. It is very nice, a lot better then stock. But i do not remeber if it looked the same as the stock shifter, can we see some pics?

Also, how much does it cost to install?

Quote Originally Posted by Clintonwmills
    I got a chance to shift as well. It is very nice, a lot better then stock. But i do not remeber if it looked the same as the stock shifter, can we see some pics?

Also, how much does it cost to install?
    The woman at Mallett told me it uses the OEM knob and boot; so I assume it looks just like stock.

The price is $350, which includes the $100 core. I don't know about installation cost though.

TNT V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Cal
    I hope it isn't anything like the Hurst in my biz partner's Z06 that I drove a few times today. I had to flex my arms just to get it into reverse, the first time I used 2 hands. That shift is definitely not for a daily driver, and he says it pops out of 3rd quite a bit. But then again the throw on that thing is incredibly short.
    The Hurst is a great shifter but the one who is installing has to know which springs to use and how to install it. The Hurst shifter on my C5 is one of the best mods I have done. Mallett shifters have a great reputation and, although expensive, will be a great improvement.

Clintonwmills is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I am new at this, but when i shifted mallett's shifter (sounds bad, but think good thoughts) it felt totally differnet. It felt so smoth in each gear. Went right into ever gear. With this $350 purchase would this give me this feel, or do you have to buy something else as well?

ctsvett is offline FAQ is your Friend

installation may be expensive because, from what i heard, you need to drop the tranny to install this...

I want this also, but installation may be expensive... anyone have a quote on how much it is going to cost to install this package?? Who would you recommend for the installation?

Reed
    http://www.cadillacfaq.com

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.