Mallett Shifter - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Mallett Shifter in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; FWIW if you're just looking to shorten the throw and get a little slop out of the shifting then I ...
    Shinkaze is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Mallett Shifter

FWIW if you're just looking to shorten the throw and get a little slop out of the shifting then I would recommend "Lou's Short Stick":
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ck&btnG=Search

they sell for about $50 or so and it replaces the factory stick, not the shifter. however this also removes the rubber isolator in the shifter which makes the shifts feel "more firm", plus by lowering the stick height it, in effect, shortens the throws.

Now that said I've used Hurst shifters in my cars and there is a more noticeable improvement in the quality of the shift but tranny noise has always seamed to be the result. My Red-Neck solution to the noise is this:

Get some Foam or pillow stuffing and fill a large zip lock back with is. Cut a hole in the middle of the bag and reinforce edges with duct tape. so now you have a "doughnut" of foam inside the plastic of the bag. Make two of these. Place the first one over the shifter under the weather boot, place the second one on top of the weather boot, (under the shifter boot). On my TA it cut down tranny noise about 75% or so, but it's still a louder than stock. Anyhow, 100,000 miles later it still seams to be working fine.

-Adam, Red-Neck engineer

Ahhh info on the short stick
    http://lscamaross.8m.com/stick2.html

wildwhl is offline Cadillac Owners Master

UPDATE 7/19/04 a.m.

I emailed Mallettcars this morning and promptly received a phone call from Chuck Mallett himself to discuss my shifter concerns. Excellent customer service (Cadillac, you listening?).

We discussed the shifter noise and he offered to send a kit that they use on the Corvette's which is basically a piece of roll bar padding strapped around the shifter stalk underneath the boot to help absorb the sound. This sounds like a good idea and I've received similar suggestions from others on this board so I told him I'd try it (I have roll bar padding laying around so he need not send any).

We also discussed the "notchiness" of the shifter and he indicated that this is the nature of the transmission. I have to agree. The stock shifter was notchy as well, but due to the rubber isolators in the mount it didn't feel as much so. I did some more driving on the way to work this morning and it isn't that bad. The short throws are actually superior to the stock shifter. Remember, my throws are a tad shorter than the Mallett shifter due to the modification I mentioned above. It is a marginal difference - but still a difference (say maybe a total of 1.25" shorter in throw from 1st to 2nd?). I like the shifter feel more today than yesterday, even though it is not quite what I expected.

I will try the noise isolation issue above and let everyone know how it works out. I'm going to upgrade my rating on this item due to the fact that there is a VERY SUPPORTIVE VENDOR who RESPONDS QUICKLY AND PROFESSIONALLY to out concerns. I'll give the shifter 5 stars on throw, 4 stars on feel, 3.5 stars on precision, but still hold it at 2 stars on value. Some of you can and will make these parts yourselves, and more power to you. Kudos to MallettCars for making the parts available so quickly after the vehicles introduction, before even the Cadillac authorized parts that were announced many months ago have even hit the market.

Thanks, Chuck, for the quick response and for offering our family of cars such incredible aftermarket potential.

Now I need to save for that 427 upgrade.

Wildwhl

Just proves you get what you pay for. Good to see Mallett is supporting their customers! I think with the shifter, the issue is that while fine for a car with the personality of a Viper, Vette or Camaro, noise and notchiness feel a little out of place in a Caddy. FWIW though some people have had success reducing tranny noise by upgrading the case fluid to Synthetic Tranny Fluid.... Red line maybe? Man it's been forever I don't remember the details.... I used to stay on top of this stuff.....

StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

Quote Originally Posted by Shinkaze
    Synthetic Tranny Fluid....
    Mobil1 tranny fluid is going in this weekend, wonder if my shiftometer will notice any difference?

Wildwhl, do you have pix of the relocated roll-pin hole mod? Sounds like something easy to do for a low-budget tweak.

lasstss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Lowering the actuation point is the way to go. Shortening the handle decreases your leverage and has no 'good' value.. Dont forget, the V doesent have a real trans shifter. Its a mechanical articulating arm and is remote. It will never be a great shifter no matter what. I hope to have urethane bushings next week. I will let everyone know what the noise level result is. Im usung 90 Dur urethane instead of aluminum on all connections.

Quote Originally Posted by StealthV
    Mobil1 tranny fluid is going in this weekend, wonder if my shiftometer will notice any difference?

Wildwhl, do you have pix of the relocated roll-pin hole mod? Sounds like something easy to do for a low-budget tweak.
    I did not take any pictures, but if you pull your shifter out and look at it you will see what I'm talking about. The black "shift rod" that connects to the transmission with the c-clip terminates into a machined block on the shifter end. This block slides onto the shifter stalk below the pivot ball and is held in place with a roll ping. I simply removed the roll pin and drilled a hole approximately 1/4" above that in this machined block, reinserted the roll pin and installed. I feel this is an improvement over the stock location, and with the mallett stock only being 1/2" shorter there is still plenty of leverage. You can move the block down farther if you desire, although I'm not sure how much clearance there is above the transmission, so be careful. You also don't want to go so far as to make the connection sloppy where the block and shaft slide together.

Finally, if you have a burn off saw and a welder you can simply index the shifter stalk above the pivot point - cut the desire amount out (anything more than an 1" will be insane and make the shifter too low in the console I think), weld it back together paying attention to your index lines, and have a pretty inexpensive solution to a short shifter - but it will still feel rubberlike and not nearly as solid as the Mallett does with the aluminum bushings.

Good luck. Experiment and you might find your own solution to a common dislike of the V. Still, I like the Mallett shifter as is and it would have been fine even without my modification (save for the noise not being Cadillac-like).

OK.

I've lived with the shifter for a week now, and I must admit I like it. It is much better than stock and certainly feels right during both enthusiastic and normal driving. I have not yet installed the additional sound insulator suggested, but don't seem to notice the noise anymore.Could be the a/c and radio are covering it. Under WOT in 1-2-3 it is quite noticable, but pretty good everwhere else.

I like it and have no regrets.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.