Mallett Shifter - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Mallett Shifter in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Received mine today and asked my dealer if they would install it. They refused, said they won't install anything but ...
    wildwhl is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Re: Mallett Shifter

Received mine today and asked my dealer if they would install it. They refused, said they won't install anything but GM authorized parts. The unit looks pretty nice, albeit just a modified stock shifter assembly. I suspect the delay in getting these is that they are awaiting "cores" from those who install them so that they can modify. Just a guess. I suspect it will work quite will. I might even have to modify it, as I think I see an area for improvement.

IF I EVER GET MY CAR BACK, I'll install it and post my impressions. Same goes for any modifications I might add (to the shifter that is).

Cal
    Cal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

They sold me your car for $25k said it was a piece o' junk!

My kit hasn't arrived yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal
    They sold me your car for $25k said it was a piece o' junk!

My kit hasn't arrived yet.
    Damn - you paid twice what it is worth in its current state!

I think I've had it with this dealer. I pretty much told them off today, and suggested that if the car wasn't ready for me to pickup on my return next Tuesday, that I'd, well, get more pissed off? Really, not much I can do at the moment. That don't seem to care if I'm satisfied or not. Such a shame.

The EXACT reason I selected the V over the Volvo S60R was because I figured I'd get better service and treatment after the sale (OK, another 100 hp and RWD didn't hurt either). Seems I was wrong.

lasstss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

What Mallett did isnt rocket science. You can accomplish the same for a lot less dough! I got Rabids OEM shifter. The parts to do the job will be a lot cheaper to make / Probably $150 to do and just as effective.

benjet is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by lasstss
    What Mallett did isnt rocket science. You can accomplish the same for a lot less dough! I got Rabids OEM shifter. The parts to do the job will be a lot cheaper to make / Probably $150 to do and just as effective.
    What's the mantra from the 6 million $ man, build it better, stronger, faster...etc. (meaning we don't want CHEAPER as in quality Make it better! Less expensive fine, but not cheaper! (ok I'm picking nits - but hey it's Fri! grant me some slack)

-Ben

Hey Ben, just the facts. Im an ME as is Rabid. Mallet took the resilient mounts out of the stock shifter and put in aluminum. It just stiffened the mounting. As for the short shift, this was done by shortening the stick up top, so of course the throw is less. What should have been done was to lower the attachment point below so that for smaller movement above/more translation below. Im going to give it a shot. I left the peice at my machinist to remove the stick. Has to be split to remove. I will take it from there. If it all works out, the v boys will have a short shifter that doesent transmit vibration to the stick. Lets see what happens.

Just an fyi... If you trim the foam under the shifter boot, it makes it a bit easier to grab reverse. We are fighting the foam a bit...

benjet is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

lastss - I know I know... my comments weren't (to be taken) personal.

-Ben

StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

What should have been done was to lower the attachment point below so that for smaller movement above/more translation below.
    When I did my !CAGS and was under the car looking at the shifter, I was thinking the same thing. We've got way too many engineer gearheads on this board. :coolgleam

Cal
    Cal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Let me know what you end up with lass I'm interested to hear it. You can moonlight as a shifter-fixer perhaps.

Hey Ben, just the facts. Im an ME as is Rabid. Mallet took the resilient mounts out of the stock shifter and put in aluminum. It just stiffened the mounting. As for the short shift, this was done by shortening the stick up top, so of course the throw is less. What should have been done was to lower the attachment point below so that for smaller movement above/more translation below.
    True, this isn't Rocket Science.

I've been eyeballing my shifter this morning and I'm going to give a shot at changing the length of the lower arm (pivot point, if you will) as mentioned above. I'll let you guys know what I come up with. I'm also thinking of pulling the machined aluminum shifter stalk off and taking another 1/2" off...should be as simple us removing the drift pin and machining a new hole, I think...

So, if I don't destroy my $450 Mallett Shifter, my $125 stock shifter will be up for grabs for whomever would like to experiment with it.

Wildwhl

Well, installed mine today. Installation was pretty easy, thanks to Rabid's install instructions on the FAQ. I had a chance to also try a mod to the shifter which made it a touch better, but not great.

My impressions? Noisy. That's the very first thing I noticed is the considerable amount of trans noise now transmitted into the cabin. So much so in some gears that, well, I can't hear the LS6 above it! This is quite disappointing.

As to the shift actuation it is definately shorter. I lengthened the lower portion of the shift rod (actually, where the lower pivot block is attached to the lever with a roll pin, I simply removed the pin, drilled another hole 1/4" above, and reinstalled) and am not sure what a difference this made. I tried it both ways, first stock (and with the exhaust left off - woohoo!) and I did not notice the noise that time due to no exhaust. Then I pulled it out and moved the lower pivot block to the alternate position. This shortens the throws even further, and quite frankly, some of you might want to just try this with your stock shifter (just a thought).

I can now get reverse much easier for some reason, and all gears feel about the same. The shift is a bit notchy and nowhere near as slick (snick, snick) as the S2000 that I've driven before, or even as good as the shifting in the VW R32. It is better, but I'm going to agree with Rabid here that it is not $350 better plus the time installing or labor cost.

Quite frankly, the noise alone may be enough for me to remove it. I'll live with it for a week or two and see what happens. On a five star scale I'll give this modification two and a half stars for function and one star for value.

rabid is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

The noise is something I really noticed as well; prolly cause of the aluminum bushings. I am pretty sure lasstss is trying to experiment with a different type of material (urethane).

Yep, I shipped off Rabids shifter bushes off for urethane counterparts. Using aluminum up front is not a good idea. This is a direct transmission of noise to the tunnel of the car. We need the isolation. I will let everyone know when I get the parts.

Z06CADY is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I have my sons Firebird, it has the same 6speed, and it sure shifts better than the V. Looked at the shifter close and there is a big H on the top. It is so tight.
    I'm calling them Monday and checking to see if there are any plans to do one for the V?
    Its not as fast, does not ride as nice, doesn't corner as good, looks ok, but its no V.

TNT V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Last time I checked with Hurst they said they had no plans to make one for the CTS-V which is a shame because their shifter in my C5 is awesome. Hopefully someone comes up with one as it sounds like Mallett is not the answer.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.