Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Poor man's Magnaflow

18K views 33 replies 23 participants last post by  Izzmeister 
#1 ·
Got done today w/ my exhaust. I fabbed an x-pipe to replace the stock resonator and installed some 14" Magnaflows. Doing the hangers at the mufflers was a bit of a pain, but all went well. I used the stock tips. The left side hangs a hair lower than the right, but they are centered horizontally. It sounds great, but sorry no video clip. It has a little bit of drone, but not enough to bug me.

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks!

Look's just about like the magnaflow catback. What was the total cost?
Total cost was about $250.
2- Magnaflow part# 11226 $75ea.
2- 90* stainless steel elbows $20ea.
6- 3/8" stainless steel exhaust hanger rods (straight, had to bend them) $5ea.
2- mild steel U-bends for the x-pipe $15ea. (ss U-bends were about $60ea.:holycrap:)

Gotta get bigger tips. Good job though.
Oh, and we need a sound clip.

Tony
I kind of like the stockers. I am not a huge fan of big tips, but I may get the Borla oval tips in the future, just to fill the bumper cut-outs better.

Sorry, technology>me. And I don't have a vid camera.:banghead:

#3 ·
Look's just about like the magnaflow catback. What was the total cost?

#4 ·
Gotta get bigger tips. Good job though.
Oh, and we need a sound clip.

Tony

#7 ·
Just got my poor mans's Magnaflow put on and it sounds great. Not as loud as I expected but it does sound good. I would go this route if anyone wants a mild tone. I also replaced the resonators with an X-pipe. Total Cost = 395$

Magnaflow mufflers part #14226 (85x2)
Magnaflow Tips: (25x2)
X-pipe: 50$
Installation: 125$

#10 ·
:bump:

I have been thinking about doing this for a while...the main reason i want to go this route, is that I don't want to deal with selling my stock exhaust or storing it..

Does this exhaust setup truly sound as good as the real deal Magnaflow exhaust?? does anyone remember seeing one in person?? I don't see why it wouldn't if i got the legit Mangaflow x-pipe, but since no one has thrown a video up, I'm hesitant..

#20 ·
That is sorta what I have. I just replaced the mufflers with some chrome 4" tips. Sounds good for $130. ($60 ea. for the dam tips so the shop welded them up for basically free). Yes there is drone and no I don't mind it for the awesome sound gained!

No I don't have a sound clip.

#21 ·
I just did the conversion to Magnaflow mufflers on my '07 without the x pipe and have to say that the sound is phenomenal. I have heard the cat back magnaflow system in the past and I would say that the sound quality with just the mufflers is just as good. It is a nice deep tone that is not annoying in the cabin. Very minor exhaust drone at around 60-65, but not so noticeable as to be distracting. Kept the stock tips and did the whole project for under $300. I say definitely go for the Magnaflow mufflers with the stock system and pocket the difference (or use it on other worthwhile mods).

Anyone know how much of a performance boost I will get if I splice in an X-pipe? I can't imagine that it will change the sound all that much, so I am wondering if it is worthwhile on a performance basis.

#22 ·
Being that cat backs don't add to performance and most come with x-pipes, I would assume you adding an x-pipe won't change anything but sound. BTW, what mufflers did you go with?

#24 ·
I did the poor man's, X-pipe was fabbed in this week. Got the part here pretty cheap with no issues:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-5-...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item20affd1787

Gutted the stock mufflers and filled 2 large lawn trash bags full of fiberglass and screen crap. Plugged them with stainless steel sink plugs ala a thread on DIY by a member here years ago. Sounds different for sure, tryin to line up a new video camera for a clip.

#30 ·
To be honest, I really havent ever heard drone....by that I mean I literally dont know what to listen for. I might have it and not know/care because I drive it like I stole it with the music blaring pretty much all the time. I have dynamat'd and rubberized coated quite bit in this car though. Sorry I couldnt be more helpful in that aspect.

#34 ·
What tips are you guys running? The tips that come with the cat back are 7.5 inch with 4 inch out double walled and angle cut. We need them with a 2.5 inlet, 7.5 inch as well to match the kit's. Magnaflow has nothing on their site that matches those specs....they have one that is close but not as long as needed. Maybe post some pics of what you have with these mufflers #11226. I just did my exhaust custom with a fabbed x-pipe and no resonator, stock muffs, going to get the magnaflows but want tips as well. I really like the ones from the kit, if not then a more angle double walled tip would be great. Same length....will post pics when setup is complete, vids too.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.