1/4 Mile Launching tips
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, 1/4 Mile Launching tips in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hey guys, I am headed off to the track in the morning and I was wondering if any of you ...
    jspinetto is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Question 1/4 Mile Launching tips

Hey guys,

I am headed off to the track in the morning and I was wondering if any of you who have been to the track have any tips on launching for the 1/4mile. I was going to try a combination of feathering and dropping. Any suggestions ?

Thanks!

Jonathan

04 CTS-V Silver w/MPI Cold-Air Intake

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cal
    Cal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: 1/4 Mile Launching tips

Turn off traction control. Trust me.

=) Well of course that will be off! Any other tips ?

ctsvett is offline FAQ is your Friend
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

side slip the clutch to prevent wheel hop.... Dont do a burnout (on street tires that does not help)... Make sure the car is somewhat cool and adjust tire pressure in the rear if necessary... Turn off the AC and the TC (as mentioned before)... Hit the gas on the last yellow....

Post your slip on monday to the forums...

DO US PROUD.

Reed
    http://www.cadillacfaq.com

GNSCOTT is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Don't do a classic burnout but spin the tires for a second or 2 to clear any debris from them. Lower the tire pressure alot, but go in small incriments (4psi).

StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

Do the run flat tires respond the same to a lower tire pressure since they have such stiff sidewalls?

cajunairman is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I was able to coax a 2.03 60ft by walking the car out just above 3,000rpm. It takes a little practice. Do it while it's still under warranty. I agree with no burnout. Drive around the box and lite 'em for a second to clean them.

cruzajc1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

DO NOT TURN TRACTION CONTROL OFF!!!!!!!! I have been running the 1/4 mile several times (see my other posts) and traction control off kills the 1/4 mile time. Leave TC on and simply put the car in 1st or 2nd and launch the vehicle ( if you want you can power brake a little, but i never do). Simply step on the gas without burning out and keep it to the floor the entire 1/4 mile. You will hear those tires chirp after the computer shifts for you. When I am about close to redlining on either 1st or 2nd I switch to a higher gear. My best time is 15.019 at 92mph in the 1/4 mile at cecil, GA. Remember, leave TC on and don't burn out. Good Luck.

cruzajc1@aol.com
    agustin.cruz@moody.af.mil

benjet is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by cruzajc1
    My best time is 15.019 at 92mph in the 1/4 mile at cecil, GA. Remember, leave TC on and don't burn out.
    We've seen <14 from several others on the board (not adjusted for differences in air/alt), including at least 1 other poster in this thread. I can't see how T/C would help, but hey I'm not a drag racer, what do I know.

Computer Shifts for you? Do you have a 3.6l auto or a V? Hey a 15 wouldn't be bad for a V6...

-Ben

cajunairman is offline Cadillac Owners Member

OK....Forgot to post best ET...sorry yall. 2.03 60ft., 13.39@106.9. NO TRACTION CONTROL. 89deg., High humidity. This WAS with a MORE CAK.

Thanks,

Cal
    Cal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Best I did was 13.94 which is pretty awful, the wheel hop is really the killer on launch. It'd bring the car into the high 12s if we could kill that and get a solid launch rather than the scrub/spin.

cruzajc1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Hello y'all,

I may have got my wires crossed. Traction control should definitely be kept active if you are in an STS. I think you guys are talking CTS0-V I have a 96 STS and I took traction control off, but it killed my time by 1 second. I consistently hit 15 seconds in the quarter mile. I wish someone would reprogram my STS so i can hang with the CTS-V boys. I know of one 97 STS that recieved reprogramming and is running high 13's/low 14's. Our N* power must be unleashed

cruzajc1@aol.com

Hey guys,

My best time was a 13.404 @ 109.53mph. I know the car can do better than this because every time I launched I bogged down. I found the best for me was to rev up to 3500 and walk out the clutch while bringing up the gas. Very hard to do and hard on the clutch, but I know I can nail the low 13's if I can perfect this!

Lets hear your thoughts on the launching !

Thanks,

Jonathan

lasstss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I pulled the air box off today just too look around. I was trying to get at the headlight bulb. What a PIA to get at. I hope the bulbs last a long time as you have to pull the inner wheel well to get at the bulbs. Anyway, I just wanted to comment that this is about the most restrictive air intake I have seen yet. Squeezed, contorted piping etc. Pretty bad.
    I would bet that you could easily pick up 10 horses if the intake had a straight path. When I get the chance to make a pass I intend to put the open MAF right on the air valve just to see the difference. Nice big MAF on this car!!

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Quote Originally Posted by cruzajc1
    Hello y'all,

I may have got my wires crossed. Traction control should definitely be kept active if you are in an STS. I think you guys are talking CTS0-V I have a 96 STS and I took traction control off, but it killed my time by 1 second. I consistently hit 15 seconds in the quarter mile. I wish someone would reprogram my STS so i can hang with the CTS-V boys. I know of one 97 STS that recieved reprogramming and is running high 13's/low 14's. Our N* power must be unleashed

cruzajc1@aol.com
    Your times were hurt with the traction off in the STS because it starts off in second gear......

These guys are talking about a CTS-V that is a rear wheel drive car with a manual transmission....completely different animal at the dragstrip from a FWD Northstar STS....completely.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.