Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Have Headers? Brake Line Precautions

19K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Skidmarcx 
#1 · (Edited)
For those of you with headers;

Relocate your brake lines, with a bit of bending.
Wrap with new heat protection.

As you can see, one of my lines could have burned thru.
I saved it in time though. :cool:

Clutch Hydralic line is next on the list.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for the pic's. I need to get my lines inspected soon based on your photos.

#5 ·
you know, im not sure of you guys have done the headers yourself, but ive had mine on without one single problem. now, thats not saying im not going to look due to this thread but im just wondering how so many people have problems with headers. are most of you guys daily drivers? and what kind of headers do you have, although i doubt that even matters?

#7 ·
I never had a problem either.
I think I avoided one though. :eek:
That factory heat sock masks any toasting of your brake lines.

I was reluctant to cut off the heat sock, but I am glad I did.
I would have never known what dammage was hiding underneath. :bomb:
My car has only been street driven and not even that hard (believe it or not).

All headers I have seen touch the heat sock.
Add in engine movement and brake line to header contact is possible.
Those new UUC mounts will help there. :stirpot:

I poped the lines out of their retainers to make bending easier.
I was able to put them back in their retainers after.
Now there is lots of clearance between the lines and headers. :cloud9:

If any one is interested I can email them more pics to show how the bending was done.

#10 ·
Got pics?
I have B&B pics, but don't want to post w/o the car owners permission.

Also, I'm not looking to bash header manufacturers.
The V engine compartment is is tight, headers are hot and precautions should be taken.
If you notice air when bleeding your rear brakes, that could be a sign these lines are getting too hot.

Funny thing is 2 shops saw my car and said not to worry.
Maybe I they were right. :hmm:

#12 ·
I'm glad to hear most of you guys feel like this issue does not apply to you.

In the interest of product comparisons:

If someone has a header:

that does not touch that heat sock
&
no discoloration of the heat sock is taking place
&
has at least 3K miles on it since header install

Please post a pic

I also want to know which header has the best clearance.
We may as well help those who have yet to get headers. :yup:

#14 ·
Got somewhere around 16k mi on my Kooks ...

BUT, it's colder than well digger's breast in a cast iron bra here and going lower tonight (zero or minus something) ... I'll look and post pic when this arctic crap goes east and closer to bigjim's neighborhood.

#16 ·
I think Ernie's headers are the 1 7/8 which becuase of the diameter of the pipe will get closer. If I remember correctly Chef had a problem with the Brake lines AND the grounds on the driver's side header.

I have the B&B and I have noticed that the heat sheild touches the header and is getting a bit crispy as well. I installed my own headers and I also noticed that the grounds on the drivers side is a bit tight as well. Anything you can do to get some additional clearance to a header pipe is always a good thing.

You may not have any problems now but it could be the ticking time bomb. Don't check and you could be stranded on the side of the road.

I new about this for a while and I haven't crawled underneath the car in a while (I will probably be the boob that gets stranded!).

Good info Ernie and I will need to do this modification.

Mod Hell :devil:

#18 ·
Good question. :yup:
Of all the stuff I ordered, this seemed to work the best:

1/2" Cool Tube Extremes
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+115+324060&D=324060
Slit and slide over lines, then close up the slit by rolling one edge around the other.
(Qty 2, 1 per line)

5/8" Summit Heat Sleving
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntt=summit+heat+sleving&searchinresults=false&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&N=700+4294845355+115
Remove stitching and wrap around Cool Tube covered lines
(Qty 1 x 36")

Thermo Shield Tape http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=THE%2D14002&N=700+115&autoview=sku
To bundle the Heat Sleving
(Qty 1 x 15' Roll)

To protect wire looms, use varying sizes of above products.

I still intend to do my starter motor wire, clutch hydralic line and a few other cable harness bundles.
Naturally, that will take more product than what I listed above.

It's bit of a pain, but is easier done with the headers off (as in before bolting them on).

#20 ·
Yes, that alternator wire is getting wrapped next. :yup:
I already changed one of my plastic clamps to a metal clamp (as the plastic clamp came loose already).

It is BBV's and Chef's threads that got me concerned about heat protection.

BBV's solution of also wraping the headers, is probably one of the best.
Even if the headers eventually need replacing after a few years, it's better than burning up brake/clutch/fuel lines and electrical harnesses.

#22 ·
I put heat sleeve on my clutch line. No reason to take chances with overheating the fluid.
The quick disconnect makes it easy to install the heat sleeve.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

#23 ·
I've got Kooks 1 7/8" and I'm problem free so far... only had em for about 3 months, but I inspect everything periodically. I wrapped anything remotely close with fire tape even the stock shielding got some tape and I also wrapped the headers with DEI titanium for extra protection to the surrounding components... I don't have steering shaft interference either... it's very f'n close, but doesn't rub

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.