Shift Points??????
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Shift Points?????? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I am curoius as to what everyone is shifting to 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th gear. I am asking both ...
    cadillac04 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Shift Points??????

I am curoius as to what everyone is shifting to 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th gear.
    I am asking both the rpms and top speed before a shift. This is in normal driving, not aggressive.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

oceanhut is offline BAD EMAIL ADDRESS

Re: Shift Points??????

If im driving normally, I shift out of first at around 2800 rpms (thats when the skip shift is disabled), then I usually continue to shift between 2,500 and 3,000 rpms throughout the rest of the gears. I couldnt tell you the speeds, but those are the rpms.
    Of course, in agressive driving, im shifting about a tick below the beginning of redline.

Cal
    Cal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I shift 3,500 if I am driving alone, 2,500 if there's a girl in the car (or old people)

Competitive shift should be around 5,500 from what I know, because beyond that your torque is flat and you're not really putting that last 1,500 or so to use. That is, stock V.

- C.

ttown is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I've always shifted between 2300 - 2500 RPMs. I think I probably pick it up from my parents . Anyway that is where I find it to be the smoothest transition between gears.

Cal

Yeah I don't do it to be smooth, 3,500 is so I can hear the growl and feel the torque start to grip.

globed70 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Cal
    I shift 3,500 if I am driving alone, 2,500 if there's a girl in the car (or old people)

Competitive shift should be around 5,500 from what I know, because beyond that your torque is flat and you're not really putting that last 1,500 or so to use. That is, stock V.

- C.
    Cal, actually a very common misconception. Yes, you are not getting any more torque from the engine, but you are putting more torque to the ground via the leverage of the lower gear... power to the ground is torque*gear ratio*axle ratio. So... stay in the lower gear as long as you can; you will be accerlerating faster than moving up a gear, with less power to the ground. Now everyone repeat after me: I will stay in the lower gear as long as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by globed70
    Now everyone repeat after me: I will stay in the lower gear as long as I can.

haha

CTSV OWNER is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV

My wife actually gets a big smile when she can hear the intake start to roar. She does not even mind the brief bursts of speed over 100 mph intermittenly.
    I would say most shifts occur in the 2,500 rpm range under normal driveing, But I gaurantee every trip I take redline is reached.

GNSCOTT is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Competitive shifting for the V is at 6100 rpms. It start to fall after 6000 rpms. The max HP (400) is at 6000 rpms.

Quote Originally Posted by GNSCOTT
    Competitive shifting for the V is at 6100 rpms. It start to fall after 6000 rpms. The max HP (400) is at 6000 rpms.
    What about the max tq?

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

R&T had torque peaked at 4,800 rpms.

Cal

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=11476

dyno sheets for at stock V. You should be able to see where the HP and torque peak. Not definitive or anything, just the results we got.

You don't shift at max torque, you do not need torque when you are up in the rpms to make HP. What scares me is that dyno run. If you look at the ZO6 with the same motor, it does not start to fall until after 6k rpms. This is telling me that the exhaust system sucks compared to a stock ZO6 and its choking on its own exhaust at 5500 rpms. I will bet a good header back system picks up 25 rwhp with the stock air box.

Cal

Quote Originally Posted by GNSCOTT
    You don't shift at max torque, you do not need torque when you are up in the rpms to make HP. What scares me is that dyno run. If you look at the ZO6 with the same motor, it does not start to fall until after 6k rpms. This is telling me that the exhaust system sucks compared to a stock ZO6 and its choking on its own exhaust at 5500 rpms. I will bet a good header back system picks up 25 rwhp with the stock air box.
    That, from the looks of it and from opinions of others, is exactly what I believe Cadillac did with the car. Which is fine, since Corsa is 2-3 weeks away, and after that headers can't be far behind.

That is all it can be. ZO6's don't start to nose dive until 6k rpms and the only difference is the intake and exhaust. Will the next person who is going to dyno their car please remove the hose and bypass the air box/ cleaner completely. I am willing to bet you MAY pick up 5hp if you are lucky which would prove its the exhaust. The Corsa will help, but the headers are the real problem.

Little exhaust lesson. Your exhaust needs to be at its widest the closest to the engine. That is when the exhaust is its hittest and therefore it is expanded to its max. As it goes down the system it cools and contracts therefore your exhaust can be alot smaller at the tailpipes than at the headers and not lose any power. People think it doesn't cool much in such a short time and thats just BS. Those gasses are leaving your engine at times at over 1000 degrees, you would melt the car behind you if it were still that hot. That is why cat back systems will help a little, but not near as much as a header back system.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.