DIY $17 anti wheel hop kit worked!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, DIY $17 anti wheel hop kit worked! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Well I got bored today so I decided to try and rid myself of this damn wheelhop. It seems pretty ...
    The Hog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS-V

DIY $17 anti wheel hop kit worked!

Well I got bored today so I decided to try and rid myself of this damn wheelhop. It seems pretty obvious what the problem is with these bushings, they are just incredibly soft. In an effort to firm them up I decided to just shim them. The job was super easy to do, just put the ass end on jackstands, support the diff with a jack, pull the front 2 cradle bolts and let the diff down slowly until you have enough room to work.

I trimmed the rubber bushings down to the point they had a nice flat surface which lets the first 1.25" washer fit over the metal part of the bushing.

I ended up using 2 washers on top and bottom which compresses that bushing close to 1/2". Using the jack to lift the cradle back up and center the upper washers made it a piece of cake.

Unfortunatly I could only find 1.25" washers so I was only able to do the front cradle bushings so far. I'll be picking up some 1.75" washers to do the same to the rear two bushings as well.

Before dropping the clutch at 5k on dry pavement resulted in wheelhop that would give ya a nose bleed. Now it only has a slight little wiggle that you can barely feel and the tires lay a perfectly smooth patch of rubber down. I've still got a little hop when I grab second hard but its only half of what it was before. Hopefully after doing the same to the rear bushings it will be even better. All in all I have to say I’m really pleased with the results. All in all i'm very happy with it. It was a dramatic improvement on the wheelhop and absolutely no increase in interior noise since there is no metal-on-metal contact.
    photorobb and photorobb like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Kmajecki is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

Re: DIY $17 anti wheel hop kit worked!

Very, very interesting. So who's doing it next? I need a few more success stories before i'll brave it...

v-ape is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): (did) CTS-V

Write Cadillac on this one... if it works, you'd save them $$$'s in warranty work (new diffs).

Black Sunshine is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

Damn! I love seeing folks being innovative. Great job, Hog.

Let us know how the final set up works.

nikon is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05' CTS-V

very interested on how the final getup works too....keep us posted.

LV_V is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 Evo Green V Coupe - 6MT

Good job. I may have to go out and pick me up some washers and give this a go!

04CTSVFLA is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

can you describe what you did to the existing bushing...what is shimming? also you say no metal on metal, yet dont the two bushings on either side of the piece touch each other? How long did it take you. Thanks

V-Love is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV(killed), 2005 CTSV(killed that too).

Exploratory surgery. I love it. You deserve those Caddy points

I'll be doing the rear two bushings before heading out to our little Friday Night Street Racing event here (at the track). I'll bring my video cam and make a couple videos this time around. It felt soo good to lay 100' of rubber down the street without my ass end bouncing all over the place. :-)

austin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ~2011 CTS-V Coupe & 2013 SRX~

>Before dropping the clutch at 5k on dry pavement resulted in wheelhop

5,000 rpm clutch drops... That is aking for big trouble. What year do you have? Your taking a big chance here... #1, you could shatter your differential.. #2, They could easily void your whole drivetrain warranty for hacking up your cradle bushings!! I wouldn't have done it.

Quote Originally Posted by 04CTSVFLA View Post
    can you describe what you did to the existing bushing...what is shimming? also you say no metal on metal, yet dont the two bushings on either side of the piece touch each other? How long did it take you. Thanks
    Basically what I did is forced the existing bushing to compress more to firm it up. The bushing, itself, has a metal shank inside that the bolt goes through so when you tighten the bushing down you are just tightening that shank down against the car. The shank just has soft rubber attached to it that is attached to that 3" outer shank pressed into the cradle.

The problem is that the only thing holding that cradle to the car is all that soft rubber. Since that inner shank is what bottoms out when you tighten the bushings down, the washers force that rubber to compress down inside the outer shank and firm up.

When I said no metal-on-metal I meant that there is no metal of the cradle in contact with the body of the car. If you look at the pic that has the 4 washers in it you can see that there is still a 1/8" gap between the cradle and those washers that is all rubber.

The whole process only took about an hour, and half that time was spent drinking corona.

vcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Very innovative solution!! I tried to find the big washers at Ace Hardware and Home Depot. They have 1 ¼” washers, but the largest size they have is 1 ½”. I will keep looking for the 1 ¾”. I guess I’ll try Lowe’s…

Yeah I couldn't find the big guys anywhere which is why I just did the front bushings this weekend. None of the hardware stores seem to have them so i'll just swing by Fastners on Monday and grab the big guys.

blackonblackonblack is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I'm going to call King Bolt in Pomona, Ca tomorow and inquire about the washers. I believe I can get a single washer with double thickness also, just to make it more professional looking.

Ya if you could find some that are around 1/4" thick that would work perfectly.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.